Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I loved Woodgate, but people are seriously forgetting how good Colo actually was for us under a long period of time. He was excellent for us for over 12months and performed day in day out. I'd probably have Colo in my team if I had to pick one of the two because you don't find many classy defenders like Colo.

I honestly think it's the other way round and people are forgetting how good Woodgate was.

I loved Woodgate, but people are seriously forgetting how good Colo actually was for us under a long period of time. He was excellent for us for over 12months and performed day in day out. I'd probably have Colo in my team if I had to pick one of the two because you don't find many classy defenders like Colo.

I honestly think it's the other way round and people are forgetting how good Woodgate was.

Yep. P4P, on their best days it's a no-contest.

Absolutely :thup:

Also Woodgate for me. As has been said, such a composed defender, and also had the leadership and organisation qualities required too. Just a shame about the injuries.

Coloccini might have been more consistent over a longer period, but as much as he's captain, I still don't see him as a leader.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Woodgate was a good all rounder, suited for both the British and European game unlike Colo who does still struggle against brute force. However I don't think he was worthy of playing for Madrid

Of course, your views on Woodgate are tainted by the Middlesbrough pub incident.

It's more everything I know about him from living there for 5 years. If you want to make it at Real Madrid you don't act anything like he did. He'll regret it when his career's up and he looks at what he's actually achieved compared to what he should have.

Surely injuries were a bigger problem than his attitude? Or are you saying his attitude contributed to his injuries because of his conditioning etc?

But yeah his career here was ruined by injuries for me. It was a miracle we got the money we did considering.

Spent majority of his time injured at Real too I believe?

Went to Boro where he managed to stay fit for a season or so which earned him a move to Spurs.

Did well initially at Spurs then injuries plagued him once more. 

Of course, your views on Woodgate are tainted by the Middlesbrough pub incident.

It's more everything I know about him from living there for 5 years. If you want to make it at Real Madrid you don't act anything like he did. He'll regret it when his career's up and he looks at what he's actually achieved compared to what he should have.

You wouldn't see Colo injure himself pissed up and coked up in Ibiza.

Anyhow, Steve Howey, Philippe Albert and Darren Peacock say hello.

Woodgate was absolutely world class on his day, him and Colo would of been fantastic together. They're both miles ahead of any other centre back I've seen in a black and white shirt that's for sure.

Neither was miles ahead of Albert. Albert and Colo would be my pick in an NUFC '93- Xl.

Woodgate was absolutely world class on his day, him and Colo would of been fantastic together. They're both miles ahead of any other centre back I've seen in a black and white shirt that's for sure.

Neither was miles ahead of Albert. Albert and Colo would be my pick in an NUFC '93- Xl.

Couldn't do it. Too many players now :lol: Wouldn't feel right leaving some out.

I'm too young to remember him properly to be honest.

Guest reefatoon

Albert was a joy to watch.  He knew how the game should be played.  I still remember his debut away to Leicester. It was about 11 mins in and he picked the ball up from about 30 yards out and hit a screamer that the keeper tipped over.  We had never seen a centre back attack and get forward like that.  would love to watch that type of football again.

Check "Phillipe Albert Compilation at Newcastle" on YT.  Man he was class.

Albert was a joy to watch.  He knew how the game should be played.  I still remember his debut away to Leicester. It was about 11 mins in and he picked the ball up from about 30 yards out and hit a screamer that the keeper tipped over.  We had never seen a centre back attack and get forward like that.  would love to watch that type of football again.

:thup:

Hell of a player.

I'm too young to remember him properly to be honest.

Fair play, mate.

Albert was mint, so mint. Ahead of his time tbh

Just a fantastic footballer full stop.....and it is for that very reason that you couldn't play Colo alongside him. Colo's main attribute, imo of course, is his actual footballing ability....distribution, positioning that kind of thing. I'd want a bona fide out and out defender with either. Albert had Howey and Peacock but imagine him with Woodgate who had all of what Colo has plus a bit of pace and better in the air too.

Albert was mint, so mint. Ahead of his time tbh

And he scored goals, whereas Woodgate and Colo don't. Sounds simplistic but I want at least one CB to hold genuine goal threat.

Tbh you'd blates play Tiote in front of your back 4, so you can afford an extravagance or 2.