NUFC 0 - 0 Fiorentina - 6/8/11 - game abandoned on 64mins due to heavy rain

Skirge

Pre-season is the time to miss those chances imo.

Tbh Best will miss chances like that, BUT he will get into those positions enough to have a decent enough goal haul as our 4th choice forward. Especially with some of the progressive attacking players we now have available.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Tbh Best will miss chances like that, BUT he will get into those positions enough to have a decent enough goal haul as our 4th choice forward. Especially with some of the progressive attacking players we now have available.

What bollocks are you talking here? Pre-season is always the time to stake your claim on a spot in the team, a time to prove to the boss that you should be picked. That is all

Best is 4th choice?

I don't want to give anyone too high a praise or too strong a criticism cos the pitch was largely unplayable; but Best scuppered two excellent chances in the first half, and generally put in a fairly feeble performance as the centre-forward. Ba and Shola looked so much more lively. However, i couldn't really tell what the formation was in the first half cos Lovenkrands was neither a wide forward (in a front three) or a winger (in a 4-4-2); he just looked predictably lost.

Thought all of the new lads looked promising tbh, and i'll include Vuckic in that. He gets about the pitch does the lad - serious work ethic about him. Offered himself all over the pitch... received the ball deep on numerous occasions, and was always offering himself off the shoulders of the strikers. He looks really, really promising to me - probably a stage or two ahead in his development. We've had a general inkling that the lad's got talent, seeing as everyone at the club seems to rate him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get plenty of game-time this season.

Cabaye was a classy terrier tbh. You can tell he can pick a pass out... he slipped a lovely one through for Best in the first half (the first of his chances that he fluffed). It bobbled about in the centre and just sorta fell to him - quick as a flash it was threaded through to Best on goal, first time. Only a minor thing but something we haven't seen that often in this division, not for a while. An unlocker of doors, to coin a tired, Souness-ish phrase.

Technique aside, he hurried about the centre of the park in a way similar to Tiote (so fucking annoying we haven't seen the two together yet), and whilst i wouldn't say it's his game - he played the role of battler pretty well. There were more than just three or four 'stick ya foot in' challenges. It's not the prettiest of defensive-midfielding, and it doesn't regain possession in the same way as when Tiote does it... but it's good to know we've got another centre-mid who won't shy away from a challenge. Plus having some ability with the thing at his feet. Win-win.

Purely from sixty-four minutes today, i've got a decent feeling about the guy. He won't fill the void left by Nolan in terms of goals, but i think he'll add something a bit more classy to the midfield.

Enrique was superb, btw. Absolutely no signs of him chucking in the towel despite his obvious desire to move on. Coloccini typically colossal but i'm still unconvinced with Taylor. But then i always will be. Simpson... quiet one. The flanks were the worst for the ball movement, plus he had a dazed-and-confused Lovenkrands ahead of him, so i can't really comment on Daddy.

Krul excellent, Forster ropey. Especially with his kicking. Seems to have handling issues too, if this pre-season's anything to go by. Timmy's got the shirt for now, absolutely no question whatsoever.

Marveaux... looks quick as a flash but that's all i can really comment on.

It wasn't a bad performance all in all. Think Crumpy went a bit over the top with his criticism on the previous page. There was enough on show to give me a touch more optimism for Arsenal. Certainly in comparison to my attitude throughout the rest of this hash of a pre-season. If the game had finished i reckon we'd have won.

That's my hap-hazard report of the events, anyway. Oh, and, correct decision from the ref. On several occasions, the ball would stop dead which caused a winger to do the same. Sticking your studs in the turf like that can do muscle damage. A pointless risk to continue the game. Shame, mind, cos amidst the general lack of cohesion - the tempo had picked up by that point.

Guest Brendan_Rice

Thanks Yorkie, good summary of the game. Pity the conditions were so bad, it was raining frogs here earlier.

Aye good post Yorkie, getting a bit of a stonk on about Cabaye. Don't want to get my hopes up but Tiote then the attacking version of Tiote two summers in a row would be awesome. That cm would be tighter than Mike Ashley!

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I don't want to give anyone too high a praise or too strong a criticism cos the pitch was largely unplayable; but Best scuppered two excellent chances in the first half, and generally put in a fairly feeble performance as the centre-forward. Ba and Shola looked so much more lively. However, i couldn't really tell what the formation was in the first half cos Lovenkrands was neither a wide forward (in a front three) or a winger (in a 4-4-2); he just looked predictably lost.

Thought all of the new lads looked promising tbh, and i'll include Vuckic in that. He gets about the pitch does the lad - serious work ethic about him. Offered himself all over the pitch... received the ball deep on numerous occasions, and was always offering himself off the shoulders of the strikers. He looks really, really promising to me - probably a stage or two ahead in his development. We've had a general inkling that the lad's got talent, seeing as everyone at the club seems to rate him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get plenty of game-time this season.

Cabaye was a classy terrier tbh. You can tell he can pick a pass out... he slipped a lovely one through for Best in the first half (the first of his chances that he fluffed). It bobbled about in the centre and just sorta fell to him - quick as a flash it was threaded through to Best on goal, first time. Only a minor thing but something we haven't seen that often in this division, not for a while. An unlocker of doors, to coin a tired, Souness-ish phrase.

Technique aside, he hurried about the centre of the park in a way similar to Tiote (so f***ing annoying we haven't seen the two together yet), and whilst i wouldn't say it's his game - he played the role of battler pretty well. There were more than just three or four 'stick ya foot in' challenges. It's not the prettiest of defensive-midfielding, and it doesn't regain possession in the same way as when Tiote does it... but it's good to know we've got another centre-mid who won't shy away from a challenge. Plus having some ability with the thing at his feet. Win-win.

Purely from sixty-four minutes today, i've got a decent feeling about the guy. He won't fill the void left by Nolan in terms of goals, but i think he'll add something a bit more classy to the midfield.

Enrique was superb, btw. Absolutely no signs of him chucking in the towel despite his obvious desire to move on. Coloccini typically colossal but i'm still unconvinced with Taylor. But then i always will be. Simpson... quiet one. The flanks were the worst for the ball movement, plus he had a dazed-and-confused Lovenkrands ahead of him, so i can't really comment on Daddy.

Krul excellent, Forster ropey. Especially with his kicking. Seems to have handling issues too, if this pre-season's anything to go by. Timmy's got the shirt for now, absolutely no question whatsoever.

Marveaux... looks quick as a flash but that's all i can really comment on.

It wasn't a bad performance all in all. Think Crumpy went a bit over the top with his criticism on the previous page. There was enough on show to give me a touch more optimism for Arsenal. Certainly in comparison to my attitude throughout the rest of this hash of a pre-season. If the game had finished i reckon we'd have won.

That's my hap-hazard report of the events, anyway. Oh, and, correct decision from the ref. On several occasions, the ball would stop dead which caused a winger to do the same. Sticking your studs in the turf like that can do muscle damage. A pointless risk to continue the game. Shame, mind, cos amidst the general lack of cohesion - the tempo had picked up by that point.

Yeah I agree with that.

I've been out of Toon all day so was wondering if anyone can offer me a quick summary of what happened? How did the players do and all that before the game got abandoned?

I've been out of Toon all day so was wondering if anyone can offer me a quick summary of what happened? How did the players do and all that before the game got abandoned?

Look up. One post.

From the little i've seen, a triumverate of Tiote-Cabaye with Ben Arfa ahead of them... pretty damn tasty looking tbh. I'm still far from convinced that we'll make a decent shot at Europe as there are still gaping holes in the squad (including centre-back), but the midfield is certainly shaping up now. Can't lie... i'm still hugely disappointed that there hasn't been a place for Nolan - but i'd argue that the early signs suggest this is the strongest midfield squad we've had since Bobby. Time will tell but it looks promising.

And just to dig up old bones again... pretty infuriating knowing that someone (completely attainable) like N'Zogbia would've taken it up an even greater notch. Obertan will have to suffice i guess.

Honestly, if we whacked £20m at this squad we'd be have a belting outfit. You can include a better contract for Jose in that if you want.

Look up. One post.

Ah right, didn't see that :blush: Thanks :thup:

From the little i've seen, a triumverate of Tiote-Cabaye with Ben Arfa ahead of them... pretty damn tasty looking tbh. I'm still far from convinced that we'll make a decent shot at Europe as there are still gaping holes in the squad (including centre-back), but the midfield is certainly shaping up now. Can't lie... i'm still hugely disappointed that there hasn't been a place for Nolan - but i'd argue that the early signs suggest this is the strongest midfield squad we've had since Bobby. Time will tell but it looks promising.

And just to dig up old bones again... pretty infuriating knowing that someone (completely attainable) like N'Zogbia would've taken it up an even greater notch. Obertan will have to suffice i guess.

Honestly, if we whacked £20m at this squad we'd be have a belting outfit. You can include a better contract for Jose in that if you want.

Looks promising based on absolutely nowt. :lol:

Know what you mean though, I was impressed with Cabaye at Leeds. Can't wait to see him and Tiote playing together, eventually.

Know what you mean though, I was impressed with Cabaye at Leeds. Can't wait to see him and Tiote playing together, eventually.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. It looks promising based on the fact that i believe all three to be extremely good footballers, even though i've seen hardly out from Cabaye.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. It looks promising based on the fact that i believe all three to be extremely good footballers, even though i've seen hardly out from Cabaye.

Close to being wanktastic - for us. And I'm not given to outward displays of excitement. Though I have had a canny bit to drink.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, the goals still concern me.

Barton  Tiote

Nolan

Carroll

has more goals in it then:

Cabaye Tiote

HBA

Ba

IMO. There is no question that the quality of the midfield is so much better in the latter and it'll create so much more in terms of goalmouth action, but I'd still want to buy a proper goalscorer to stick these chances in the net.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, the goals still concern me.

Barton  Tiote

Nolan

Carroll

has more goals in it then:

Cabaye Tiote

HBA

Ba

IMO. There is no question that the quality of the midfield is so much better in the latter and it'll create so much more in terms of goalmouth action, but I'd still want to buy a proper goalscorer to stick these chances in the net.

Time will tell but I'm not as certain as you.

Don't disagree. Seeing as we're not gonna sign a centre-back (and i'll go glass-half-full on the left-back situation and assume we've got someone lined up for Jose's inevitable departure...), the mission now really is to replace the 20-odd goals Carroll and Nolan gave us last season. We look a prettier outfit in theory but we still haven't sussed the scoring issue.