NUFC 0 - 0 Fiorentina - 6/8/11 - game abandoned on 64mins due to heavy rain

Skirge

What exactly is it about Ba's entire career that suggests he isn't a proper goalscorer? Maybe if he massively improved his slightly more than a goal every two games record.or the fact he got 7 in 11/12 games for the worst side in the league last season :lol:

What exactly is it about Ba's entire career that suggests he isn't a proper goalscorer? Maybe if he massively improved his slightly more than a goal every two games record.or the fact he got 7 in 11/12 games for the worst side in the league last season :lol:

I think he'll score goals but am concerned that he'll be out injured now and again, we can't hang our hat on him.

I think he'll score goals but am concerned that he'll be out injured now and again, we can't hang our hat on him.

We coped without Carroll when he got injured, but..    I agree 100% anyway, an injury to Ba will be damned worrying.

From the little i've seen, a triumverate of Tiote-Cabaye with Ben Arfa ahead of them... pretty damn tasty looking tbh. I'm still far from convinced that we'll make a decent shot at Europe as there are still gaping holes in the squad (including centre-back), but the midfield is certainly shaping up now. Can't lie... i'm still hugely disappointed that there hasn't been a place for Nolan - but i'd argue that the early signs suggest this is the strongest midfield squad we've had since Bobby. Time will tell but it looks promising.

And just to dig up old bones again... pretty infuriating knowing that someone (completely attainable) like N'Zogbia would've taken it up an even greater notch. Obertan will have to suffice i guess.

Honestly, if we whacked £20m at this squad we'd be have a belting outfit. You can include a better contract for Jose in that if you want.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, the goals still concern me.

Barton  Tiote

Nolan

Carroll

has more goals in it then:

Cabaye Tiote

HBA

Ba

IMO. The/b]e is no question that the quality of the midfield is so much better in the latter and it'll create so much more in terms of goalmouth action, but I'd still want to buy a proper goalscorer to stick these chances in the net.

It's not Ba i'm worried about as such. It's more the fact we look to be solely depending on him... and we still haven't seen him notch one in pre-season (though that's not really anything to get worked up about). Cabaye's had one good year for goals return, but between him, Cheick and Hatem... there's no real signs of definite goals.

The basic facts are that, after Ba (and a Best who has still to prove whether or not January was simply a purple patch)... we're back to the old Shola/Lovenkrands/Ranger game. The squad is shaping up but it still lacks goals.

From the little i've seen, a triumverate of Tiote-Cabaye with Ben Arfa ahead of them... pretty damn tasty looking tbh. I'm still far from convinced that we'll make a decent shot at Europe as there are still gaping holes in the squad (including centre-back), but the midfield is certainly shaping up now. Can't lie... i'm still hugely disappointed that there hasn't been a place for Nolan - but i'd argue that the early signs suggest this is the strongest midfield squad we've had since Bobby. Time will tell but it looks promising.

And just to dig up old bones again... pretty infuriating knowing that someone (completely attainable) like N'Zogbia would've taken it up an even greater notch. Obertan will have to suffice i guess.

Honestly, if we whacked £20m at this squad we'd be have a belting outfit. You can include a better contract for Jose in that if you want.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, the goals still concern me.

Barton  Tiote

Nolan

Carroll

has more goals in it then:

Cabaye Tiote

HBA

Ba

IMO. There is no question that the quality of the midfield is so much better in the latter and it'll create so much more in terms of goalmouth action, but I'd still want to buy a proper goalscorer to stick these chances in the net.

Time will tell but I'm not as certain as you.

Ben Arfa has only grabbed a handful of goals in his career, Cabaye strikes me more as a playmaker than a out and out goalscorer like Nolan, Tiote isn't a goalscorer and Ba is still under question mark to me, he's a talented forward but we won't know until the season gets going as to what sort of impact he'll have. I'd rather not rely on just him as well.

They're a quality side, and their ball retention skill and ability to counter will win us more points than it loses. I just wish we'd throw £10m+ at another quality goalscorer and leave it at that. Sorted.

We coped without Carroll when he got injured, but..    I agree 100% anyway, an injury to Ba will be damned worrying.

Goals after Carroll left:

Barton x2

Best x3

Tiote x1

Lovenkrands x4

Nolan x2

Ameobi x2

Gutierrez x2

S. Taylor x2

Nolan has left, Barton could still leave yet and most don't want Lovenkrands and/or Ameobi getting much game time (if any). I'd say us doing alright was more luck than judgement and wouldn't want to rely on it happening again tbh.

I to think another forward is essential but to me Ba is far more proven a goalscorer than Carroll.

That's fair enough. I just don't see Ba/Cabaye matching the tally of Carroll/Nolan without another quality goalscorer there as well :dontknow:

Nolan did score a lot but not sure It's guaranteed it would continue. With a more creative player I hope Ba would be able to keep up his career standard and the likes of Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Gosling, Barton, Best to chip in.

I'm just confident as always.

If we're incredibly tight at the back then we can afford to score a few less goals I suppose.  We need investment either way.

We're not incredibly tight at the back. Time to start slashing wrists.

Maybe with more possesion... ah, that's a tired old argument already.

I do worry, I'm just an optimist when it comes to Newcatle United. (Despite the recent history stretching back as long as I can remember.)

Going against the majority here, but i think many go over the top about the poor quality of our fowards.

I think we definately need another striker also, but if you actually look at their end product last season it wasnt that bad.

Ameobi got 6 goals and 6 assists in 1753 mins playing time

Loven 6+6/1451

Compared to some other key strikers in the league for their teams:

Anelka      = 6+6/2357

Crouch     = 4+7/1945

Saha        = 7+1/1366

Rodallega = 9+2/3025

Kdavies    = 8+5/3384

Suarez     = 4+5/1100

Reasonable to expect theyd have matched those that played much more and those that played less were on target for around the same also.

Best & Ba were doing much better than all of them. Just something to consider, they cant be that woeful.