Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Every winger should support the fullback tbh.

Ben Arfa tracked back a lot against Everton for what it's worth, and probably will again once he gets his sharpness back.

Except Hatem isn't playing like a winger?

What are people on about, Ben Arfa provides more of a threat than Obertan. End of story.

What the fuck are you talking about?  :lol:

I've never said otherwise.

Regardless of his age, his ability and his potential, he is playing very poorly at the minute and he should lose his first team place as a result IMO.

Was f***ing woeful at times today. I usually try to stick up for players, but he shouldn't have been anywhere the pitch in that second half.

This. I'm not sure how long I can keep defending Obertan. I still rate the lad but he was p*ss poor yesterday. He did some good tracking back though but attacking-wise, he was very meh. He can definitely run at the full back but his end product just wasn't there.

I think it is time for Marveaux to start the next game.

Seems alot more confident in the 'Gabriel Obertan French Talent 2011/2012' video. I was as frustrated as anyone by him yesterday but i think given time and some confidence he will be a good signing. Confidence that wont come by being sarcastically jeered off.

If he was jeered off, the jeers came after the performance.

Regardless of his age, his ability and his potential, he is playing very poorly at the minute and he should lose his first team place as a result IMO.

Was f***ing woeful at times today. I usually try to stick up for players, but he shouldn't have been anywhere the pitch in that second half.

This. I'm not sure how long I can keep defending Obertan. I still rate the lad but he was p*ss poor yesterday. He did some good tracking back though but attacking-wise, he was very meh. He can definitely run at the full back but his end product just wasn't there.

I think it is time for Marveaux to start the next game.

His FM12 stats are spot on.

Every winger should support the fullback tbh.

Ben Arfa tracked back a lot against Everton for what it's worth, and probably will again once he gets his sharpness back.

Except Hatem isn't playing like a winger?

What are people on about, Ben Arfa provides more of a threat than Obertan. End of story.

What the f*** are you talking about?  :lol:

I've never said otherwise.

:lol:

Was most reacting to the fact that you said he'lll track back when he gets his match sharpness back, which I hope he doesn't since he shouldn't.

He seems to be a bit counter-productive in general given that the point of having a right-footed right winger is to have him be able to hug the touchline and put in crosses. Obertan likes cutting inside more and he couldn't put in a good cross to save his life.

Might as well play left-footed Marveaux there if Obertan is going to be drifting inside anyway.

More useful than Hatem. Anyhoo...he is like - he tracks back and gets stuck in.

???

He bottles the tackle like, very rarely offers a challange.

You're dumb.

Wow. For all this talk about his defensive work, he really does get stuck in way too little. It's certainly not something that should keep him in the team despite offering no end product what so ever and constantly giving away the ball.

More useful than Hatem. Anyhoo...he is like - he tracks back and gets stuck in.

???

He bottles the tackle like, very rarely offers a challange.

You're dumb.

Wow. For all this talk about his defensive work, he really does get stuck in way too little. It's certainly not something that should keep him in the team despite offering no end product what so ever and constantly giving away the ball.

Heza was being a wum man.

He's by no means the finished article, he's 22.

I see potential, but clearly the mental side of his game still needs work. By the same token he shouldn't be given a spot in the first eleven because of those excuses.

I think inclusion in the first team squad and a run of games should see him settle and develop with us. From what I can gather he was very much on the outskirts of the first team at Manchester United and it seems to have diminished his confidence.

The only negative from today is the fans cheering when he came off. I've seen players with supposedly more talent chase back less than him, he does put a good shift in defensively.

Good post, particularly the last bit.  He's been here for a few months, he's part of an unbeaten team that are sat in fourth place.  Probably been our worst player so far granted, but I can't believe some felt the need to jeer him.  I can see the reasons he was deemed good enough for a crack at Man U, he's just too indecisive and scared for the most part though, his crossing is utter shit as well, Jonas managed to sort it out though, so why not Obertan? 

He was frustrating as hell like, but thought the reception he got was a bit harsh.  I thought the whole crowd Saturday were a bit nervy and it was a tense atmosphere, lots of groans and shouting at the tiniest mistakes. 

The fact everyone turned up expecting to win by 2 or more (myslef included) didn't help matters.

Stuck up for him a lot, even so I would have liked to have seen Marveaux playing instead of him weeks ago.  Should certainly start from now on.

He's good in sparks and flashes, but piss poor at times too. He's had a very good little run in the team. Its time to give Marveaux who looks a far better player that same oppourtunity now.

As well as Marveaux, I would also like to see more of Ben Arfa, Santon,  Mehdi, sammy, Ferguson, Kadar, Tavernier and perhaps Gosling too.

While I would much rather see Marveaux in the team, I havent given up on Obertan and just think he needs some further training on the attack front. A spell in the reserves learning to take on and beat "lesser" players may also do him the world of good.

Some of his interchange play coming out of defence at times on Saturday was excellent so he obviously has something to build on.

Guest firetotheworks

I annoyed myself with how often I managed to slag him off on Saturday like. He was impotent. Marveaux must be in line for a start now.

While I would much rather see Marveaux in the team, I havent given up on Obertan and just think he needs some further training on the attack front. A spell in the reserves learning to take on and beat "lesser" players may also do him the world of good.

Some of his interchange play coming out of defence at times on Saturday was excellent so he obviously has something to build on.

I agree, he's not half as bad as some people are saying. He passes the ball decently, moves well and covers a lot of ground. He just needs to sharpen up his decision making and decisiveness - whether or not he can do that remains to be seen.