Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He seemed to be more willing to run at his man today than he has been in the past, however there were still a few moments where he made the wrong decision. For example there was a moment early in the second half where Cisse was bursting through the middle in acres of space, he was more or less one on one with Given, and Obertan just had to play a relatively simple pass to him. Instead he tried to go it alone.

More or less because he was very alone with given at that time, he was offside for the whole run.

He did alot better yesterday but he is still no where near as good as Ben Arfa in my opinion.

Obertan can't seem to pick out a simple pass at times and passes to the opposition. Ben arfa is the one we need to persevere with. Ok he's getting caught in possesion too much, but Ben Arfa's all round skill, vision and passing is awesome. The movement of the Dembii is awesome and will surely bring out the best in ben arfa the thought of the three of them on the same pitch is mouth watering (add to that Tiote at some point in the future) and wow we have a brilliant first 11 now.

I just hope Pardew tries it

Krul

Simpson  Willi        Colo    Santon

Cabaye/Guthrie Tiote    Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

Cisse

Want to see more of Mehdi too, looks very promising.

Guest reefatoon

I thought he had a good game too.  The thing you notice when he plays is the ball goes down the right a lot more than it does when he doesn't play.  It's good to see us attacking down both wings instead of just down the left.

I feel sorry for the bloke, he is always going to be on a hiding to nothing by the Ben Arfa fans who demand that he starts instead.

I thought he had a good game too.  The thing you notice when he plays is the ball goes down the right a lot more than it does when he doesn't play.  It's good to see us attacking down both wings instead of just down the left.

I feel sorry for the bloke, he is always going to be on a hiding to nothing by the Ben Arfa fans who demand that he starts instead.

If Obertan starts showing some good form then people will be clamouring for him instead.

Thought he played well. One thing that bugged me was when he went to the left wing, then just fannied around off the ball instead of making his way back over to the right. Makes us so narrow with only Simpson over the right side of the pitch. Other than that nothing to complain about.

He was alright.  Got 2 or 3 balls into the box that beat the first man and the fact he actually attempted the cross is a positive in itself!  Tracked back really well, smashed zog up in the air at one point and looked a bit more direct going forward.  Still so fucking frustrating when he gets up to full speed, could burn 2 or 3 players on the outside, but checks back inside looking for a pass or a chance to do flicks and stepovers.

It was a much improved performance I thought, if he keeps improving then great, if that's going to be the best we see out of him then it should be bench duty at best.  Going to struggle against Spurs, but then everyone is!

I wish he would just put in an early cross, instead he takes about 5 touches and allows the defenders to position themselves

He definitely did that on a few occasions yesterday which was good to see but unfortunately his poor decision making is still there. Not as frustrating as he was a month ago though. Progress methinks.

I wish he would just put in an early cross, instead he takes about 5 touches and allows the defenders to position themselves

He definitely did that on a few occasions yesterday which was good to see but unfortunately his poor decision making is still there. Not as frustrating as he was a month ago though. Progress methinks.

if he'd played for 90 mins he'd have been just as frustrating imo

He did put in a few crosses BUT I am referring more to as soon as he gets the ball, forget taking 5 or so touches, either a first time cross or one touch to control the ball and cross it in

He did put in a few crosses BUT I am referring more to as soon as he gets the ball, forget taking 5 or so touches, either a first time cross or one touch to control the ball and cross it in

What I was referring to was the early crossing. He did it a lot more yesterday than he ever has done (though yeah, he needs to do it a lot more).

Of course, there were times when he took a touch too many (hence why I said his poor decision making is still there).

the thing that buggs me most is that Jonas and Obertan is very similar as players. Still Jonas is a beast and Obertan is s**** :dontknow:

one has a brain

rather a bigger fighting spirit.

dose ´t think Jonas is a specially smart player at all.

the thing that buggs me most is that Jonas and Obertan is very similar as players. Still Jonas is a beast and Obertan is s**** :dontknow:

one has a brain

rather a bigger fighting spirit.

dose ´t think Jonas is a specially smart player at all.

as well as a fighting spirit.

Jonas is incredibly good at using his body to shield the ball and winning free kicks by inviting contact and being a little bit quicker than a defender, you need a brain to do that.

My Dad sat and watched the game with me for the first time in ages yesterday and was getting so frustrated with Obertan. Kept moaning when he didn't knock it out his feet and run (when he was 1on1 with Dunne) and taking too many touches before putting a cross in.

I was like "dad this has actually been one of his better games but at least now you understand how frustrating he can be"