Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Guest reefatoon

For all his failings, he does give ua a lot more balance when he plays.  We did look a much better unit earlier on in the season when he was on the pitch.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Probably 100 times better than Shola, that's how bad Shola is. Happy he got his goal, might give him the confidence he needs.

Fans shouldn't be on his back anyway, It's a ridiculous mentality that I have never understood.

I saw the fans on his back against Blackburn in the cup because, not only was he terrible, but he didn't look like he was pulling his weight. When he gets subbed off in that situation, i've not really got an issue with sarcastic applause. The lad has needed a monumental kick up the arse, and some time spent on the sidelines. Now he knows that he can't just play shit and stay in the side, we might see a bit of improvement from him. And to be fair to him, he played his part to perfection when he came on yesterday, including taking his goal very well. Credit where it is due.

I wouldn't throw him straight back in the side, because that would be a bit easy and i still think there are better options, but he's on the right lines if he wants his place back.

Great cameo like, not just the goal but the way he tracked back and won the ball well, constantly hustling.

mm i was thinking even before the goal that he had made a positive impact

Gabriel Obertan £3mill; 16 league apps, 2 assists, 1 goal. Stewart Downing £20mill; 19 league apps,0 goals, 0 assists.

And all the scousers were quoting Moneyball when they got the new Yanks in.

Gabriel Obertan delicates goal to NUFC fans

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleFeb 2 2012

GABRIEL OBERTAN today dedicated his first Newcastle United goal to his team-mates and the Toon Army.

The French winger has suffered his fair share of stick since signing for the Magpies from Manchester United.

But he silenced those critics with a goal of sheer quality at Ewood Park last night, to seal an important 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers.

The victory pushed United into fifth place in the Premier League but rather than bask in the glory on a personal note, Obertan said it was all about playing for the badge.

When asked if being out of the team had made it a sweet moment, Obertan told the Chronicle: “I have never even thought like that. It’s about the team and the fans.

“It was a resolution for me to score my first goal – but a victory was more important for everybody.

“I didn’t have much time in the game but I seized the opportunity.

“When you have plenty of time like this it can be quite difficult because you have plenty of options.

“I just had to relax and stay calm and focus on the finish.”

Yet he admitted that he could not have imagined a better scenario after being thrown on in the dying stages before clinching the game.

Obertan added: “It was a dream. Blackburn were pushing and we needed a goal. We needed a win.

“Arsenal drew the game (against Bolton last night) and we’re fifth in February.” Whether people like it or not, Newcastle are in the race for European spots.

And Obertan wants United to make sure that they make the most of the opportunity.

The ex-Man United man said: “With 15 games left we are in the race and we can seize the moment.

“We’ve had two defeats but it’s great to bounce back like that.

“Hopefully we can get three points this weekend too.”

Alan Pardew had targeted two wins from Ewood Park and at home to Aston Villa this Sunday, and Obertan and United are halfway there.

He said: “We talked about with the gaffer. Two victories will be very important.

“Now we’re back at home and our confidence can be really high.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/02/gabriel-obertan-delicates-goal-to-nufc-fans-72703-30249928/#ixzz1lE5NzhQZ

Hopefully people will stop the sarcastic cheers and booing for a bit. Disgusting.

:lol: When you're paying £20/30 to see someone not put 100% effort in; i can forgive the odd bit of jeering. I can't say i've noticed any real booing anyway, though i could be wrong.

Don't want to keep banging that drum though. He deserves plenty of credit for last night's cameo and apparent change in attitude.

Hopefully people will stop the sarcastic cheers and booing for a bit. Disgusting.

:lol: When you're paying £20/30 to see someone not put 100% effort in; i can forgive the odd bit of jeering. I can't say i've noticed any real booing anyway, though i could be wrong.

Don't want to keep banging that drum though. He deserves plenty of credit for last night's cameo and apparent change in attitude.

I don't think he lacks effort, as I remeber him tracking back into our half and putting tackles in a fair few times this season. I think that his confidence is very fragile and sometimes he just looks unsure of what he's doing, which people see as a lack of effort when really he's just scared of making a mistake.

People boo his name when the fucking teams are read out.

Why does it tear you up inside so much? I'm with Yorkie on this one, he's been so piss poor that frankly a bit of low-level jeering might make him realise that he needs to put more effort in, either on the pitch or in training.

He's a player who's had limited game time at the top level and lacks the confidence to use his attributes effectively. I don't rate the bloke, and it will take a lot for him to convince me he's much use going forward - but booing him and jeering sarcastically when he gets subbed is just... sigh.

Never heard it like, where do you sit?

Gallowgate.

It's a minority, but it does happen.

He seems to have quite a non-aggressive, non-assertive personality which is quite unusual for a footballer. Shola seems to have it as well.

I think booing him will do nothing other than make it much more difficult for him to play well, I really don't think he's the type that would respond to being heavily criticised as a form of motivation.

Why does it tear you up inside so much? I'm with Yorkie on this one, he's been so piss poor that frankly a bit of low-level jeering might make him realise that he needs to put more effort in, either on the pitch or in training.

I don't like mistreatment of our own players at any time. It's what two-bit clubs do or gloryhunting consumers who demand perfect entertainment every time they go to a game.

It's just fucking shite. Especially when two-faced wankers like Joey Barton who spent time in prison while they were here picking up their wage now get hero worship in the colours of another team.

Guest reefatoon

I think Obertan had been getting a lot of extra stick and slating because he was keeping Ben Arfa on the bench and we all wanted Ben Arfa starting.  I think Obertan became a bit of a scape goat then.  He did have his bad games, sure but he was never really given any time before the crowd started moaning and groaning.  I personally don't think he is as bad as first thought, and I think he gives us much more balance when he plays.

I think we might see him back in the fold sooner rather than later as Ben Arfa has been poor of late and has not given us the right balance.