Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He seemed to be more willing to run at his man today than he has been in the past, however there were still a few moments where he made the wrong decision. For example there was a moment early in the second half where Cisse was bursting through the middle in acres of space, he was more or less one on one with Given, and Obertan just had to play a relatively simple pass to him. Instead he tried to go it alone.

In fairness to him (if that's the chance I'm remembering where he ended up slicing it wide from the right of the area?) Cisse was offside the whole time when they showed the replay on the telly.

Thought he was really useful today. Got back well, ran with it well, had a good control, worked for the team. Generally just looked more up for it and better on the ball. Still pretty feeble in the final third, but i can forgive him for that if he shows a bit of graft - something he hadn't been doing up until now. Happy to have him as an option from the bench on current form.

Agree with Yorkie.

Seen more from him on Sunday than in most of his performances added together.  The major difference - CONFIDENCE.

Its really worrying that he is still getting so much stick when he is showing real signs of improvement but also pleased that so many have noticed and commented that his game seems to be on the up.

I absolutely love HBA and only watched the French league because of him. He is far more talented than Gabby. He aint in the team right now, but that aint Gabby's fault. It is merely the manager using his squad of players to produce a result. It should not go un-noticed that during the past couple of weeks it has been the squad players who have stepped up and brought us the points (Raylor, Perch, Gabby, Willo, Best). They may be sh*t sometimes and we give them stick for it, but atm they are producing just when we needed it most.

I will just remember to point out this game, next time some retard points out that he's in the team ahead of HBA for his better defensive workrate.

Pardew wear your geek specs whilst watching a game and see how ineffective this guy is please. Impact sub when there are tired legs yes, 90 minutes no.

Obertan and Jonas MUST NEVER PLAY AT THE SAME TIME!

or rather, they must not play at all.. Jonas has somehow forgot what his position's main duties are and Obertan is simply taking the piss for the majority of time..

I'd pick little Fergie over both any day. And just comparing Ben Arfa to these cloggers is an insult to the core values of the game.

I was delighted when I heard he had signed for us. Thought this was exactly the kind of move he needed.

Absolutely shocked at just how terrible a player he is. No redeeming features, a living exercise in futility.

Seen the highlights again.

Obertans most at fault for the first, i thought it was Simpson. Simps is actually covering Saha & Williamson covering the pull back. This guy just lets his man run right past and doesnt move. Literally just watches it all unfold, silly stuff.