Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

So its taken us since the end of the season to sort this deal

Doesn't matter does it? He's here, that's the main thing.

I think its a plus that he was not just a pick out of thin air due to us running out of options but a true target we really wanted.

:thup:

Speaking on the prospect, Obertan told the Chronicle in an exclusive first interview: “I have met Hatem on a few occasions.

“It will be good to play alongside him and show what I can do.

“It would be great to make a flying start at this club.

“If I start or if I come on as sub I just want to make a good first impression, and give my best on the pitch.”

Ben Arfa could be out for another month but the Chronicle understands that he is making good steady progress from the ankle injury sustained in Kansas City last month on the Magpies’ American tour.

Obertan added: “It is good that I know some people already.

“It always helps at a club. I also know Danny Simpson from Old Trafford, so I am not coming into a place full of completely new faces.”

Just watched his interview on NUFC TV and he seems like a really down to earth guy.

A lot of what he said is on the .co.uk interview, but a bit more in depth.

Said that he was aware of Newcastle's interest before the Summer, but it wasn't possible for him to get the move (Routledge I'm assuming). He really wanted to come here and fight for a place in the first team.

He obviously prefers to be on the wing (at the moment) but can see himself as a striker in the future and wouldn't mind that opportunity (Worrying if this is our answer to the striker situation, but I doubt it.)

Comments (6)

Recommend

Gabriel Obertan

GABRIEL OBERTAN has vowed to prove his doubters wrong ahead of his big move to Newcastle United.

The 22-year-old has appeared just 14 times in the Premier League for Manchester United in the last two years.

However, with world-class performers Nani, Antonio Valencia, Ryan Giggs, Park Ji-Sung and Anderson ahead of him in the Old Trafford pecking order, he admits life has been tough in the North West.

Now the winger says he is straining at the leash to show Toon fans what he can do.

Speaking ahead of his move to Newcastle, the Frenchman spoke of his burning desire to get stuck into Arsenal in Saturday night’s explosive opener against the Gunners.

With a slightly less daunting path in front of him to the Toon first team, Obertan is hungry to show his worth.

When asked about the difficulties of getting past the likes of Nani and Co, Obertan told the Chronicle: “It is true that was a hard task – and it is difficult in Manchester when you do not play as much as you want to.

“There were a lot of very good players there.

“There is a lot of pressure. It is hard for any player when you only play every five or six games.

“It was difficult, but despite that I still had good memories there.

“Now I just want to show the Newcastle United fans exactly what I can do. Each game I play here I will have a point to prove.

“I will be showing that in training every session and of course in the matches.

“It will not be easy because there are quality players here already.

“I just want to give 100% for the club.”

Obertan was signed by Manchester United from Bordeaux two years ago after three years and 54 appearances and three goals for the French outfit.

He is regarded primarily as a creator of goals, but says he leaves Old Trafford and Sir Alex Ferguson with no regrets.

Obertan added: “You cannot be happy to leave a big club normally and I spent two good years there.

“I have good memories of being there – we won the title and I was involved in good games there.

“I am not sad, though, because I have signed for a big club.

“It is very big here, there is a lot of history and I want to be here.”

Obertan could go straight into the thick of the action against Arsene Wenger’s side this weekend and is looking forward to the prospect of pulling on a black-and-white shirt for the first time.

He said: “If I can make my debut against Arsenal that would be great for me. It would be something that I would remember for a very long time.”

can he play down the middle as well?

just wondering if we can expect to see him filling in for HBA rather than having vuckic in there?  I hope not as i've like the look of vuckic this pre-season...think he deserves a shot

Just watched his interview on NUFC TV and he seems like a really down to earth guy.

Said that he was aware of Newcastle's interest before the Summer, but it wasn't possible for him to get the move (Routledge I'm assuming). He really wanted to come here and fight for a place in the first team.

He obviously prefers to be on the wing (at the moment) but can see himself as a striker in the future and wouldn't mind that opportunity (Worrying if this is our answer to the striker situation, but I doubt it.)

Agreed, seems a sound lad.

Agreed, seems a sound lad.

I think another worrying thing on the back of my mind was that we hadn't been after him for a while and this was a reaction bid due to recent dramas at the club. But that has reassured me that we were just waiting for Routledge to make way. Obertan as Routledge's replacement is a very good deal IMO.

LET THE INFLUX BEGIN!

In all seriousness, a decent young player with a bit of pace. Hope he improves us, nice to have an actual right winger in the squad as well.

Needing a striker isn't enough reason to put the doom on this deal. There's no reason why we can't go on to focussing our efforts on getting another forward in now.

Club: "We don't need another striker, because we are going to play a 4-5-1. We have Ba, Best, Shola, Sammy and Lovenkrands."

Is that what you can see them saying or God forbid have they said that?!

Just Colocho being a helpless troll.

Pardew's been interviewed on sky and says we'll need to bring in players if any more leave (presumably Enrique/Barton) but the priority is to get the striker in.

LET THE INFLUX BEGIN!

In all seriousness, a decent young player with a bit of pace. Hope he improves us, nice to have an actual right winger in the squad as well.

Needing a striker isn't enough reason to put the doom on this deal. There's no reason why we can't go on to focussing our efforts on getting another forward in now.

The good thing about this is how quickly this deal (and other deals earlier on in the window) was wrapped up. It gives me every faith that we can move very fast if need be. So likewise, I hope all our efforts are now on a striker! (I believe we have the left back situation under control as well)

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/120719688.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921E86F5CE8BE5D78FB2C0AC624E8DCB0004D7488C54FADAF02B319D79580C338A6

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/120719679.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921E86F5CE8BE5D78FB003F2D2BFDA36D124D7488C54FADAF025683582B8F9443DF

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/120719681.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921E86F5CE8BE5D78FBB2243FAD2DDED0424D7488C54FADAF02CFCE1D3DF12C83B3