Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He's good with the ball. But what baffles me mostly is his willingness to fight for balls. He rarely runs the channels and strethces the defence as I could see. Would like him running inbetween right back centreback to push the defence more on their backfoot to create space for our rather slower midfielders.

He never seems to do that, Imo for him to become the player we need his work load on the field have to vastly increase. And he has to direct the runs more directly to scare oponents.

Hope pardew sees the same and he does something about it. Could also see both Barton and Simmo give him instructions during the game. So frustration that such a talent could be spilled.

Would prefer to play him off the striker. Seemed a bit lost on the wings.

Thought he should have played behind Shola too but the result was fine so will be interesting to see where he plays in future more than likely wide right or left .

Rubbish in the first half, but did get better in the second..Hopefully Pardew's man management skills will get the best out of Obertan..It's obvious that the lad got talent..But his body language sucks  :dowie:

He wasn't rubbish. Was decent enough in both halves.

Much better in 2nd but imo he was not on the net in the first half..Lost the ball, Sunderland counterattacked and he didn't try at all to correct his error.But I have belief in him..Needs to work on his concentration

I don't know if he was played as a striker yesterday but if he was then he shouldn't be considered for that role again in a hurry. He was nowhere near Shola all game. I like some of his passing when he's out wide though.

He was lively when he came on against Arsenal and played off Shola, then he moved to the right and he wasn't in the game much again. Similar issues against Sunderland, on the right, not up to much, I think he'll be good on the wing in games we will be dominant and take it to the opposition, but for a team that is 2nd best in terms of posession he needs to work on his game.

Clearly lacking confidence. Has the skills by the looks of things, think some playing time and a bunch of crowd/coach support would do him a world of good.

Still worried by his lack of interest after losing the ball. Coaching staff need to be on him to sort that out. With his pace and fitness he should be harassing players and chasing after everything.

i thought he gave us a threat in behind in the second half and did a good job carrying the ball 30/40 yards up field for us when we needed it/ he could learn an awful lot from jonas though in terms of working hard when he loses it and how and when to win free kicks.

there was one moment when there was only 1 defender between him and the goal and he could've just motored past him but tried to meg him and fucked it up, frustrating