Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

For some reason this lad attracts a disproportionate amount of criticism IMO. There were a couple of incidents of poor play, but also some good stuff. He needs to learn to use his attributes better, but he's not as terrible as some people suggest.

That said, Marveaux is clearly a better player right now.

His message to Obertan was simple.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7549/pardscopy.jpg

His lass is in for a good night then

Like it wasn't going to happen anyway.

Given how little he's played at Man Utd glad he's had an extended run in the team but he needs to start showing soon that he is learning from the experience he's getting.

Looks to be an abhorrent footballer. At first I thought it was just a confidence thing, but even after a run of games there's been no improvement. Defensively he's alright. He tracks back every now and then, but he rarely puts a foot in. There are times when he should be challanging for the ball and he simply lets the opposition drift past him, not good enough.

That's before you shine a light on his woeful attacking play: he gives the ball away too much, he oesn't release the ball early enough, he rarely beats his man and his final ball is woeful. There's absolutely no reason he should still be in the starting eleven.

He's by no means the finished article, he's 22.

I see potential, but clearly the mental side of his game still needs work. By the same token he shouldn't be given a spot in the first eleven because of those excuses.

I think inclusion in the first team squad and a run of games should see him settle and develop with us. From what I can gather he was very much on the outskirts of the first team at Manchester United and it seems to have diminished his confidence.

The only negative from today is the fans cheering when he came off. I've seen players with supposedly more talent chase back less than him, he does put a good shift in defensively.

My impression of Obertan when he started playing for MUFC - utter shite.

He ran outside the pitch on his first touch with no one marking him. So I guess for the past few years, he learnt how to run with the ball ON the pitch. That's a great improvement.

Makes Park Ji Sung look like Messi.

Guest Roger Kint

He's by no means the finished article, he's 22.

I see potential, but clearly the mental side of his game still needs work. By the same token he shouldn't be given a spot in the first eleven because of those excuses.

I think inclusion in the first team squad and a run of games should see him settle and develop with us. From what I can gather he was very much on the outskirts of the first team at Manchester United and it seems to have diminished his confidence.

The only negative from today is the fans cheering when he came off. I've seen players with supposedly more talent chase back less than him, he does put a good shift in defensively.

Agree with all of this tbh

Think he'd be an Ideal impact sub personally. Yes he was poor in places today but I think people are conveniently forgetting a few of the great runs he did early on in the game. Particularly the one where he flashed the ball across the 6 yard box where Ba and Best were caught on their heals.

Certainly not a write off but I think it would be unwise to continue starting him given the way Marveaux has played when given an opportunity

Guest Roger Kint

He's fucking wank, nae improvement on Routledge.

Seeing lil Wayne come on earlier he definately is although that isnt really a compliment

His message to Obertan was simple.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7549/pardscopy.jpg

His lass is in for a good night then

Like it wasn't going to happen anyway.

Given how little he's played at Man Utd glad he's had an extended run in the team but he needs to start showing soon that he is learning from the experience he's getting.

Fair enough :lol:

He may prove to be an improvement on Routledge in time, but right now I don't see it. Routledge played 5 or 6 good games for us between August and December last year. I've yet to see a really strong performance from Obertan.

There was one moment in the 2nd half where he wasnt going anywhere, then sold his marker really nicely to get a cross in.......which went over everyone out for a throw.

If he could do that more and deliver good crosses hed be an asset. Hes got the skills.