Carling Cup 2nd Round - Scunthorpe (a) - live on Sky 25/08/11 @ 7.45pm

JH

I have to say, as defeatest as it is, the season in the championship and last season I didin't give two shits about the cups. Promotion and survival were the priority, nothing else mattered so every game less that we played made it 0.04% (completely made up) less likely an important player we would get injured and that was enough for me.

This season though I really want us to go all out in both the cups. I don't mind youth getting a chance against some of the 'lesser' teams, but even then only a couple.

If we sign another forward, replacement for Jose (and Barton if he leaves) and another defender (ok that's pushing it a bit) we should definitely have enough quality to finally go for it.

Each country only needs 1 domestic cup.

All the league cup does is create needless fixture congestion.

Totally agree.

Look at the Sheff Wed and Blackpool game tonight. Lower league teams are even putting out second string teams to this.

Each country only needs 1 domestic cup.

All the league cup does is create needless fixture congestion.

Totally agree.

Look at the Sheff Wed and Blackpool game tonight. Lower league teams are even putting out second string teams to this.

No wonder, there's also The Johnstone's Paint Trophy to mention aswell.

Teams from Leagues 1 and 2 are having to play in 3 cup competitions a year aswell as the league, it's ridiculous.

Maybe even if there was the FA Cup, then another Cup for teams from the Championship to League 2, scrapping the JPT in the process.  But the current format is terrible.

We'll do the usual win this one, beat random Championship side at home, then come up against Arsenal in the Third Round.

I bet you all of the money I ever make that doesn't happen.

Neil! Update sig now!

He's already lost. This is the 2nd round. Some random Champ side would be the 3rd round. Arsenal would be the 4th round. So no, your scenario would never happen.

Pay up, JH.

I'm an idiot.

I want us to have a real go at the cups this year. Last couple of seasons it's all been about promotion and avoiding relegation, but this year I don't think we should be anywhere near relegation, so having a go here would make sense.