Carling Cup 2nd Round - Scunthorpe (a) - live on Sky 25/08/11 @ 7.45pm

JH

Krul

Raylor Williamson Coloccini Ferguson

Obertan Gosling Vuckic Marveux

Ba Best

Opportunity to assess some of our new signings + give Vuckic a run out.

This, although would be tempted to put Taylor in for Ba.

With any luck our new left back/forward will get a run out  :undecided:

Should be an interesting game I can see some fringe players getting a run.

Harper

Perch Williamson Colo Ferguson

Gosling  Smith Vuckic Lovenkrands

Ba Best

Marveaux and Sameobi will ideally get some time as well.

Don't see any point fucking about with the team. Realistically we have the chance to win one trophy this season. Best team out and if we go 2/3 up bring on some kids.

We'd regret going out to these if we get two or three rounds down the line and a lot of the big teams have dropped out. Boils my piss that clubs like Leicester, Birmingham, Middlesbrough etc have all won this in recent years while we haven't given two hoots about it.

It's always tough to balance between putting out a side strong enough to beat Scunthorpe (or whoever) whilst not jeopardising the chances of winning the following league game. The League will always be more important than Carling Cup. I'd be tempted to start with Best and/or Ba up front. I'd like to see Vuckic and Abeid get a full game each, Tiote needs another hour, Marveaux needs to start. I'd rest Cabaye and start Gosling. Perch (if fit) could start along with Williamson and Tavernier.

It's all about rotation and giving whoever needs games/fitness what they need.

It's always tough to balance between putting out a side strong enough to beat Scunthorpe (or whoever) whilst not jeopardising the chances of winning the following league game. The League will always be more important than Carling Cup. I'd be tempted to start with Best and/or Ba up front. I'd like to see Vuckic and Abeid get a full game each, Tiote needs another hour, Marveaux needs to start. I'd rest Cabaye and start Gosling. Perch (if fit) could start along with Williamson and Tavernier.

I beg to differ tbh.  I'd happily take another bottom half finish (as long as we're not in danger) as opposed to finishing 8th-10th if it helped us get to the League Cup semi's giving us a decent chance of winning something.  It's been too long since we had a good cup run and we're not going to win the league any time shortly.

I beg to differ tbh.  I'd happily take another bottom half finish (as long as we're not in danger) as opposed to finishing 8th-10th if it helped us get to the League Cup semi's giving us a decent chance of winning something.  It's been too long since we had a good cup run and we're not going to win the league any time shortly.

That's fair enough. It has been too long since we won something and realistically this Cup is our best chance of doing it. I'm just saying we shouldn't be putting our first XI out on Thursday night knowing we've got Fulham on Sunday afternoon. Mix a few young lads in with a few older heads whilst giving players like Tiote games to get him up to speed. :thup:

Harper

Perch

Williamson

Coloccini

Ferguson

Marveaux

Abeid

Tiote

Obertan

2 of Vuckic, Ba and Best with the other getting at least half an hour.

:thup: Marveaux definitely needs a game and that side should win without a lot of fuss.

:thup:

All about balance, certainly, but for teams like Newcastle and Everton, this competition should be taken seriously IMO. No, I'm not saying to play your strongest team but it warrants, fitness permitting, a decent core of first teamers playing in games like this.

I get the horrible feeling Lovenkrands will start this game. Pardew was still playing the useless gimp on the wing as recently as the Fiorentina friendly.

It is Scunny who we're playing. Logically speaking, you'd think Lovenkrands can score a goal against a League 1 side.

I get the horrible feeling Lovenkrands will start this game. Pardew was still playing the useless gimp on the wing as recently as the Fiorentina friendly.

It is Scunny who we're playing. Logically speaking, you'd think Lovenkrands can score a goal against a League 1 side.

Yes, but surely we'd want to give our youngsters some valuable play time.

That's fair enough. It has been too long since we won something and realistically this Cup is our best chance of doing it. I'm just saying we shouldn't be putting our first XI out on Thursday night knowing we've got Fulham on Sunday afternoon. Mix a few young lads in with a few older heads whilst giving players like Tiote games to get him up to speed. :thup:

Oh I agree because we shouldn't need to put a full-strength side out against Scunthorpe to get the win.

I went to the 4-0 home defeat versus Arsenal last year and was pissed off that we'd fucked off another chance to have a good go at winning a trophy by playing a weakened side.  But a few days later I was torn because we beat the mackems 5-1.  In hindsight I'll forgive it because it was our first season back up in the top flight and matches against Sunderland are a special case, but in general we're not in a position to basically deliberately lose a cup match when we've went such a pathetic amount of time without a trophy.  And seen the likes of Birmingham, Leicester and  Portsmouth win trophies in the mean time.

Yes, but surely we'd want to give our youngsters some valuable play time.

Indeed and some of them will. Abeid and Vuckic especially.

All about balance, certainly, but for teams like Newcastle and Everton, this competition should be taken seriously IMO. No, I'm not saying to play your strongest team but it warrants, fitness permitting, a decent core of first teamers playing in games like this.

Agreed.

Oh I agree because we shouldn't need to put a full-strength side out against Scunthorpe to get the win.

I went to the 4-0 home defeat versus Arsenal last year and was pissed off that we'd fucked off another chance to have a good go at winning a trophy by playing a weakened side.  But a few days later I was torn because we beat the mackems 5-1.  In hindsight I'll forgive it because it was our first season back up in the top flight and matches against Sunderland are a special case, but in general we're not in a position to basically deliberately lose a cup match when we've went such a pathetic amount of time without a trophy.  And seen the likes of Birmingham, Leicester and  Portsmouth win trophies in the mean time.

I'd be astonished and annoyed if any of our lot genuinely wanted that tbh. I want us to win every game but some games (and competitions) are more important than others.

I'd be astonished and annoyed if any of our lot genuinely wanted that tbh. I want us to win every game but some games (and competitions) are more important than others.

The team we put out against Arsenal that night was akin to deliberately losing the game imo, we wanted to get it over with and move on.