Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

From what I can tell it seems like we decided to put an almost-done deal with Pieters on the back-burner because we felt that we could attract this guy.

It's nice to be ambitious and all that, but I'm not really feeling confident given that negotiation really hasn't been our strong suite this summer.

My faint heart wishes we'd chosen the safe option. What if we fail here, try to go back, and Pieters decides he doesn't really fancy being our second choice?`

I think we'd have bought Pieters at £4-5m, but when his club asked for £6m we probably thought we can get Cisskho for around that. Even if it's more it's probably a better deal so if we do it then I would agree it was the right thing to pull out of the Pieters deal.

Agree, that's probably exactly what triggered the change of heart... If they'll both cost almost the same thing might as well go for the bigger name.

I don't disagree with the decision, but it's pretty nerve-wracking.

It's obvious we got incredibly close to shelling out £5m+ on Pieters so we panicked, pulled out and are chasing a more unrealistic target. Phew, that was close!

Yep they nearly called our bluff. Still....onwards and upwards!

It's obvious we got incredibly close to shelling out £5m+ on Pieters so we panicked, pulled out and are chasing a more unrealistic target. Phew, that was close!

Yep they nearly called our bluff. Still....onwards and upwards!

Depressingly likely :sadnod:

Great post,in every sense.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Le Parisien reckons this is pretty close to happening. €8m fee, with Lyon signing Santon from Inter as his replacement. :frantic:

Nearly another one in the building

Hope he can wipe his nose!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Always looking for a left side, Alan Pardew has a very clear preference for the French players, sometimes to the point of making fun of in the local press. But no Newcastle manager has of course not change its recruitment policy so far, quite the contrary. The Magpies should throw their heart in the coming hours Aly Cissokho, they follow for several weeks and still has a good output in OL, as recently pointed Remi Garde. 8 Newcastle goes to ME on the table, according to Le Parisien, simply the sum requested by the Rhone club to let slip his side

"Always on the look out for a left-back, Alan Pardew clearly has a thing for signing Frenchmen, even sometimes to the point of making fun in the local press. But the Newcastle manager doesn't seem about to change his recruitment policy, quite the opposite actually. Newcastle are set to make a bid in the next few hours for Aly Cissokho, who they have followed for several weeks and who has been nearing the exit at Lyon as recently pointed out by Remi Garde. Newcastle are set to bid €8m according to Le Parisien, a sum which been requested by the Rhone club".

If thats the asking price and he wants to come, we're being ridiculous if we dont go there. That's basically what we sold Enrique for almost 1 million more or less in euros.

He was worth £13-15 millions couple of years ago, should definitely have a resale value ;)

Gerrin, how reliable is the source?

It's the biggest daily newspaper in France, and it's mainly a political newspaper, not sure what's it's normally like for sport however but would seem a bit weird for them to make it up.

So a tad reputable, that's enough for me!