Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

Guest bimpy474

I cannot think of any 6'2 plus fullbacks. I don't think there is even one non-keeper in our squad currently that is above 6'2. That is very large for a footballer and giagantagious for a fullback.

Agree that it's large for a full-back in relative terms, but we do have quite a few outfield players above 6'2".

Mike Williamson i think.

Guest bimpy474

Williamson definitely.

Plus the Ameobis, Ba, S. Taylor, Ranger, Vuckic...

Just had a quick look, Taylor, Ranger, Shola, Ba all 6.2

Sammy and Haris 6.3. :D

Bit of a diversion on the thread there, but Baba made a decent observation. Santon is a big lad for a full-back, but his ability on the ball seems to bely that a bit, which is nice.

I do wonder if we have always been partial to getting a "bigger" player for the left-back slot given that we have lost a lot aerially since last January. While that side of the game certainly wasn't a strong point for Jose specifically, we've lost quite a bit from other areas with Carroll and Nolan going.

I know size isn't the be-all and end-all, but it was a huge strength of ours last season and we've lost a bit of that, which is visible when you look at our attacking set-ups on corners/free-kicks between now and then.

Obertan is a lanky fella isn't he? Also Ferguson is apparently still growing so should be 6ft 6 by the time the window slams shut.

He must be pushing 6'2" as well, but he's not really any kind of threat, is he? If you get what I mean. Him and Tiote have been up in the box for our attacking corners, even Jonas has at times, I wouldn't consider any of them as legitimate options from those situations.

As crude as it was, I did quite enjoy seeing us have Ameobi, Carroll, Williamson, Coloccini and Nolan in and amongst it last season.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

@

@dan2882 Looks unlikely on Cissokho at the mo but wouldn't discount anything in the next 48 hrs...

1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Blinding insight there from Douglas. Who'd have thought?

No chance. Why would Ashley put the money foward to sign another full back? If he's spending the Enrique money on Santon then thats surely it, one in one out. I know Santon is right footed but theres no way he would pay a decent transfer fee then pay Simpson to sit on the bench.

Just a guess here, but I believe that 15 million would be more than any other team in the Premiership paid for their current left back. :lol: Mad price.

I have no issue with that.  Laugh at the asking price and move on.  But it appears like we've been trying to negotiate despite the fact we're probably unwilling to pay even half of the asking price.  It's typical current regime stuff.

There's a lot of this sort of analysis floating around.

Deal falls down for whatever reason = NUFC not serious about making an offer/wasting time.

No chance. Why would Ashley put the money foward to sign another full back?

Why would Ashley hire Keegan, only to lie to him and then force him out the club 6months later?

Guest bimpy474

From Lyon website:

His position.

I am right handed and I can play left as well. I expect to join the group and work well. I trust the coach and try to work out well for me on my side to serve the team.

From Lyon website:

His position.

I am right handed and I can play left as well. I expect to join the group and work well. I trust the coach and try to work out well for me on my side to serve the team.

Does this have any implication on us now that we got Santon?

Guest bimpy474

From Lyon website:

His position.

Dunno mate, just chucking it in ;)

Mouhamadou Dabo signed for Lyon, he's a full back i think.

Interesting... Would love to get him... That would fit with my hope of Santon playing RB... Noticed though Santon was holding up the number 3... Oh well... Can but hope!

Guest bimpy474

Mouhamadou Dabo signed for Lyon, he's a full back i think.

Interesting... Would love to get him... That would fit with my hope of Santon playing RB... Noticed though Santon was holding up the number 3... Oh well... Can but hope!

Cissokho prefers 20 dont he ;)

From Lyon website:

His position.

There's pictures up now of Pardew snatching the shirt back from him and Derek trying to pull the letters off the back.