Sunderland v Newcastle - 20/08/11 at 12noon (not live on TV!)

Fatwax

Krul

Simpson  S.Taylor    Coloccini  Ferguson

Barton      Tiote        Cabaye      Jonas

Ba          Ameobi

Subs: Forster, Williamson, Vuckic, Marveaux, Obertan, Best, Gosling

Krul

Simpson   S.Taylor    Coloccini   Ferguson

Barton       Tiote        Cabaye      Jonas

Ba           Ameobi

If Foster is still here of course, but either way that's a very good looking first team and bench to be fair.

Krul

Simpson  S.Taylor    Coloccini  Ferguson

Barton      Tiote        Cabaye      Jonas

Ba          Ameobi

If Foster is still here of course, but either way that's a very good looking first team and bench to be fair.

The midfield is immense to be fair.. probably best midfield outside the top 6

Guest sicko2ndbest

Does anyone think losing this could be a blessing?

In terms of the board realising we need to spend money?

Guest johnson293

If Shepherd was still in charge, I'd say possibly - this is the one result that could of forced his hand (as it did with Gullit).

Ashley, though.... nah.  :nope:

If Shepherd was still in charge, I'd say possibly - this is the one result that could of forced his hand (as it did with Gullit).

Difference with Shepherd would have been that we already would have made some expensive transfers probably.

They don't have pace in their team at all. Gyan isn't the fastest striker, even though he's a good one. Elmohammady is the only pacy player in their team, and his control is iffy. But he's a right winger which means that the position that will be tested in our team is LB. It's good then that we have a top quality LB to stop him.. oh wait. Anyway, Larsson is slow, Sessegnon has decent technique but again, is not the fastest. Their center midfield pairing between Colback and Cattermole is again, quite slow.

I think we can defend much higher this game and force the pace. With players like Cabaye, Barton and Jonas in our team, we should be able to dominate the ball and play the game in their half. I think we'll see much more of what Pardew has been talking about in this game because we have better players in midfield.

I'm pretty confident, even if I'm still uncertain about where the goals will come from.

Difference with Shepherd would have been that we already would have made some expensive transfers probably.

If it was Shepherd in charge we'd have spent £20m on one hollywood signing then filled the rest of the side with cheap and cheerful no marks.

Guest Haris Vuckic

They don't have pace in their team at all. Gyan isn't the fastest striker, even though he's a good one. Elmohammady is the only pacy player in their team, and his control is iffy. But he's a right winger which means that the position that will be tested in our team is LB. It's good then that we have a top quality LB to stop him.. oh wait. Anyway, Larsson is slow, Sessegnon has decent technique but again, is not the fastest. Their center midfield pairing between Colback and Cattermole is again, quite slow.

I think we can defend much higher this game and force the pace. With players like Cabaye, Barton and Jonas in our team, we should be able to dominate the ball and play the game in their half. I think we'll see much more of what Pardew has been talking about in this game because we have better players in midfield.

I'm pretty confident, even if I'm still uncertain about where the goals will come from.

Good post.

That's if Pardew has either the balls or the insight to press Sunderland on their own ground. It will be interesting to see what the answer is.

Agree re: the lack of pace in Sunderland's side. Especially midfield. The athleticism of their midfield is comparatively poor which is quite encouraging. :) Sessegnon dropping back might help but then Gyan would be too isolated as he was in the first half against Liverpool.

They lack creativity as well.

Cattermole and Colback just break the ball up and pass it sideways.  Simpson needs to stop backing off his man and make sure Larsson doesn't cut in with his right foot.  I'm pretty confident that we can stop them scoring.  Colo and Taylor look to be playing well.

It just depends if we've got the finishing touch.

If we defend high and all our players are disciplined with the offside trap, then there's no reason why we can't do a 'Barca' against them and just pin them back. Obviously it's at their place so we won't be able to dominate for the whole match, but I see no reason why if we survive the first 15 minutes or so that we can't start to defend higher and higher, increasing the pressure on their midfield and defense. I'd say that they wouldn't be able to hang with us and will have to drop back to defend deeper, and that will benefit us because we'll have more of the ball, but also because it's easy to defend against a team which is slow and thus unable to effectively counter-attack, especially when they have to start from their penalty area. If they were brimming with pace then we'd be torn to shreds on the counter-attack if we defend high, but they're a team that's quite slow so we should be able to handle them.

This plan, of course, depends on Tiote not making silly mistakes when passing and for our defense to have the composure to pass the ball into Cabaye's feet and not bypass him. If we launch the ball up again and again because we're under pressure then they'll be the ones who force us to defend deep. But I'm confident because we have pacy players in our team and the ones who aren't pacy have good technique (Barton and Cabaye).

If we defend high and all our players are disciplined with the offside trap, then there's no reason why we can't do a 'Barca' against them and just pin them back. Obviously it's at their place so we won't be able to dominate for the whole match, but I see no reason why if we survive the first 15 minutes or so that we can't start to defend higher and higher, increasing the pressure on their midfield and defense. I'd say that they wouldn't be able to hang with us and will have to drop back to defend deeper, and that will benefit us because we'll have more of the ball, but also because it's easy to defend against a team which is slow and thus unable to effectively counter-attack, especially when they have to start from their penalty area. If they were brimming with pace then we'd be torn to shreds on the counter-attack if we defend high, but they're a team that's quite slow so we should be able to handle them.

This plan, of course, depends on Tiote not making silly mistakes when passing and for our defense to have the composure to pass the ball into Cabaye's feet and not bypass him. If we launch the ball up again and again because we're under pressure then they'll be the ones who force us to defend deep. But I'm confident because we have pacy players in our team and the ones who aren't pacy have good technique (Barton and Cabaye).

Great post.