Sunderland v Newcastle - 20/08/11 at 12noon (not live on TV!)

Fatwax

Instead we've got more or less a full team of cheap and cheerful no-marks.

Weapons grade horse s***.

Even funnier when you consider that of our two starting line-ups on Saturday, Sunderland's cost about £45m, and ours cost about £37m, there's not much in it tbh.

What constitutes a no mark these days? Argentine internationals? A 1 in 2 striker? Tiote? One of the better right sided midfielders in the league last season? A French international coming off a double winning season? A winger who turned down Liverpool for us? A young keeper who has started the last two games for Holland?

Seems a bit over the top imo.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm actually at work 10-10 for this. Fucking wounded!

I think someone phoned in and said something about a Swine Flu alert in your building. Pretty sure it was on BBC 24 News.

What constitutes a no mark these days? Argentine internationals? A 1 in 2 striker? Tiote? One of the better right sided midfielders in the league last season? A French international coming off a double winning season? A winger who turned down Liverpool for us? A young keeper who has started the last two games for Holland?

Brilliant post, some people need to get a bit of perspective. Aye, our signings have been cheapish but we've still got plenty of quality in the team.

:clap:

My quite clearly tongue-in-cheek point was in response to Tron's ridiculous assertion that the current set up and the current team is superior to a typical team under Shepherd.

Canny obvious unless you're one of those desperate to defend the club's disgraceful recruitment policy and attitude to investment.

Guest Stephen927

Working until 3, gutted. Straight to the pub on my break.

Even worse I'm at work at 1, wtf we better be winning or new job for me.

Your boss a mackem too? :lol:

My quite clearly tongue-in-cheek point was in response to Tron's ridiculous assertion that the current set up and the current team is superior to a typical team under Shepherd.

Canny obvious unless you're one of those desperate to defend the club's disgraceful recruitment policy and attitude to investment.

How's it obvious and clearly tongue-in-cheek when what you've written in the second sentence just backs up what you said in that post anyway. :lol:

Guest Chubby Jason

Uncle Alan's pre-game press conference today or tomorrow?

Who cares? Not a word of what he says holds any credibility.

:jesuswept:

It really could all kick off at this game, no new  signings the masses are angry, we lose this I fully expect hell to be unleashed.

nothing personal skirge, but there's nothing quite as sad these days as assertions like this. hell? it'll be a few moans and a smashed traffic light at the most, expectations have been successfully lowered too far now. we'll whinge and moan and we'll go back and give him £4 for a warm bottle of coors next week.

Except that's not what I said. I said Shepherd used to spend big on the Hodd ollywood signing while filling the rest of the team with cheap no marks. How else did players like Ramage and Huntingdon end up playing so many games under Roeder?

Was going to say, the club when Shepherd left wasn't the club 3 years earlier even. We had the likes of Rossi, Onyewu, Bernard, Srnicek & Sibierski coming in to make up the numbers on Frees and loans along with Ramage, O'Brien, Pattison, Edgar, Huntington, Clark & Faye.

Martins was a panic buy because of Owen's injury, and we only signed Duff because Shepherd thought £5m was so cheap.

My word that really was a chronic squad. :lol: