Sunderland v Newcastle - 20/08/11 at 12noon (not live on TV!)

Fatwax

Guest Geordiesned

As it seems pretty obvious now we'll not have a new left back in for Saturday I'd prefer to see Ferguson play there than Raylor or anyone else.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

The closer this match gets the more I'm not looking forward to it. I'm gonna be nervous to da max watching.

If we defend high and all our players are disciplined with the offside trap, then there's no reason why we can't do a 'Barca' against them and just pin them back. Obviously it's at their place so we won't be able to dominate for the whole match, but I see no reason why if we survive the first 15 minutes or so that we can't start to defend higher and higher, increasing the pressure on their midfield and defense. I'd say that they wouldn't be able to hang with us and will have to drop back to defend deeper, and that will benefit us because we'll have more of the ball, but also because it's easy to defend against a team which is slow and thus unable to effectively counter-attack, especially when they have to start from their penalty area. If they were brimming with pace then we'd be torn to shreds on the counter-attack if we defend high, but they're a team that's quite slow so we should be able to handle them.

This plan, of course, depends on Tiote not making silly mistakes when passing and for our defense to have the composure to pass the ball into Cabaye's feet and not bypass him. If we launch the ball up again and again because we're under pressure then they'll be the ones who force us to defend deep. But I'm confident because we have pacy players in our team and the ones who aren't pacy have good technique (Barton and Cabaye).

Speechless, totally speechless.

Dear god.

Got to agree tbh. It might work on FM but in real life the only reason Barca play it is because they are 1 of about 3 teams in world football who are good and intelligent enough to make it work.

Ferguson to start is a no-brainer for me , he'll cope fine with Seb Larsson physically.

I agree. Larsson is a physical weakling any competent full back with an iota of intelligence should be able to cancel him out easily.

Watching highlights of the 5-1 again, I love the celebrations as much as the goals tbh. The whole team piling into their net for the first, Barton flattening Nolan, Shola running to the opposite corner trying to claim Nolan's third. :lol: :smitten:

Great to see players like Colo too absolutely loving it, I think he's one of the first onto Nolan after the first.

Since I was born in 1976 I've only experienced 6 losses to these cunts. Two of those were while I was still in nappies. I know what it's like to lose to this lot and it's fucking horrible. The stick I get from friends and family is awful - all good natured but losing to Sunderland is like shitting yourself in public. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Since I was born in 1976 I've only experienced 6 losses to these c***s. Two of those were while I was still in nappies. I know what it's like to lose to this lot and it's f***ing horrible. The stick I get from friends and family is awful - all good natured but losing to Sunderland is like shitting yourself in public. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Very well put. I've got 4 days camping with 2 Mackems to look forward too next wekk. Be hell if we toss this

Since I was born in 1976 I've only experienced 6 losses to these c***s. Two of those were while I was still in nappies. I know what it's like to lose to this lot and it's f***ing horrible. The stick I get from friends and family is awful - all good natured but losing to Sunderland is like shitting yourself in public. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

:sadnod:

I can't see much of a difference between the two teams. I think in CM we are a better team but their wingers would probably give us problems, especially if we don't have a LB. Our strike force could be anything from a disaster to pretty decent, we know what BA is capable of from his time at West Ham and we all know how Shola can turn on a show for us against the Mackems, however we have also seen the bad side of both players so it all depends on what side of them we see. Gyan apart their isn't really anything to fear from their strike force and I believe that whoever they start upfront can be contained. On paper I'd say our defence was better than theres. I still can't separate this one and I still think it will end up a draw, probably 1-1.