Sunderland v Newcastle - 20/08/11 at 12noon (not live on TV!)

Fatwax

Guest Wearside

Mackems midfield is truely shocking. How they lined up against Liverpool:

Mignolet,

Brown, Bardsley, Ferdinand, Richardson

Colback, Cattermole, Elmohamedy, Larsson

Sessagnon Gyan

That won't be our midfield tomorrow, looks like Colback is getting dropped for Gardner according to all the rumours.

Elmohamady Cattermole Gardner Larsson

Elmohamady never turned up in the two games against you last season but on his day can go past full backs with ease, not sure how tall Ryan Taylor is, but apart from his pace, Elmohamady's major strength is his heading ability and this could be an area where the game is won or lost.

IMO our midfield has more goalscoring/creative threat than yours does, all about opinions though.

Mignolet,

Sessagnon Gyan

That won't be our midfield tomorrow, looks like Colback is getting dropped for Gardner according to all the rumours.

Elmohamady never turned up in the two games against you last season but on his day can go past full backs with ease, not sure how tall Ryan Taylor is, but apart from his pace, Elmohamady's major strength is his heading ability and this could be an area where the game is won or lost.

IMO our midfield has more goalscoring/creative threat than yours does, all about opinions though.

Why do you play Sebastian Larsson on the left wing?

I think people on here underestimate Sunderland's midfield a tad. Don't get me wrong, it's not world-beating by any stretch of the imagination but potentially good enough to cause us a few problems, this, despite a distinct lack of pace on the left-hand side though.

The winner will be who wants it more tomorrow, and who shows up. Hoping for yet another Sunderland capitulation.

I think people on here underestimate Sunderland's midfield a tad. Don't get me wrong, it's not world-beating by any stretch of the imagination but potentially good enough to cause us a few problems, this, despite a distinct lack of pace on the left-hand side though.

The winner will be who wants it more tomorrow, and who shows up. Hoping for yet another Sunderland capitulation.

This is the one area where if we are going to win the match, it'll be because of that battle. Jonas, Cabaye, Tiote & Barton. That's our strength tomorrow, they HAVE to win that midfield battle.

And I think they will.

Guest Wearside

Mignolet,

Sessagnon Gyan

Basically because we have nobody else, not a ideal situation but he done well there last week and still created Liverpool a few problems coming inside on his right foot and delivered some decent balls in.

To match liverpools midfield last weekend they must be half about, although you could agree it's early days and both teams have new recruits trying to gel. Personally i'd favor our midfield over sunderlands although it does mean cabaye must turn up this week as he was very quiet last weekend, again he's trying to adapt and this game might come too early for him? Taylor at left back is a concern, last week the team felt very unbalanced and it was only till the second half jonas was able to push on. All that said i think it'l be a scoring draw, 1-1 or 2-2.

Mignolet,

Sessagnon Gyan

Basically because we have nobody else, not a ideal situation but he done well there last week and still created Liverpool a few problems coming inside on his right foot and delivered some decent balls in.

If Simpson plays, he's in luck. Despite knowing Larsson can't step on the pedal and go to the byline, he still won't block off Larsson's options to the right.

If we go 5 across the middle then we could/should have a bit more control of the middle of the park. We're going to need intelligent movement  because if we lump it up to Shola for 90 minutes we'll lose. He is incapable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. We're better off trying to play the ball into channels and get our midfield beyond Shola and into the box. Delivery from the wings has to be good too.

We can win this but we need several players to have really good games. The main one being Shola.

To match liverpools midfield last weekend they must be half about, although you could agree it's early days and both teams have new recruits trying to gel. Personally i'd favor our midfield over sunderlands although it does mean cabaye must turn up this week as he was very quiet last weekend, again he's trying to adapt and this game might come too early for him? Taylor at left back is a concern, last week the team felt very unbalanced and it was only till the second half jonas was able to push on. All that said i think it'l be a scoring draw, 1-1 or 2-2.

Aye, Cabaye was proper quiet making more tackles than any other player in the league last weekend.

If we go 5 across the middle then we could/should have a bit more control of the middle of the park. We're going to need intelligent movement  because if we lump it up to Shola for 90 minutes we'll lose. He is incapable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. We're better off trying to play the ball into channels and get our midfield beyond Shola and into the box. Delivery from the wings has to be good too.

We can win this but we need several players to have really good games. The main one being Shola.

I think Pardew is the most important man for us tomorrow. He'll need to set us up right to make the most of the players he's got at his disposal, something he didn't do last week with Ba in particular. I just hope it's one of Pards more inspired days tactically rather than the odd brain fart match he's liable to produce every now and then.

Think we will start the same team as last week. Hope not but I think we will be unchanged bar Marveaux sneaking on the bench at the expense of Sammy. Can't see Ferguson ousting anyone else, although dropping lovelypants would be nice.

i think starting Obertan upfront would be decent but I think he would be a liability in midfield.

If we go 5 across the middle then we could/should have a bit more control of the middle of the park. We're going to need intelligent movement  because if we lump it up to Shola for 90 minutes we'll lose. He is incapable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. We're better off trying to play the ball into channels and get our midfield beyond Shola and into the box. Delivery from the wings has to be good too.

I think Pardew is the most important man for us tomorrow. He'll need to set us up right to make the most of the players he's got at his disposal, something he didn't do last week with Ba in particular. I just hope it's one of Pards more inspired days tactically rather than the odd brain fart match he's liable to produce every now and then.

If he picks Shola and Ba as a front 2 and our tactics consist of pinging it up to them then we'll lose. The midfield won't be close enough to support them and Cattermole and Gardner will mop up and bring it straight back at us. Pack the midfield and try to play football rather than hoofball.

If he picks Shola and Ba as a front 2 and our tactics consist of pinging it up to them then we'll lose. The midfield won't be close enough to support them and Cattermole and Gardner will mop up and bring it straight back at us. Pack the midfield and try to play football rather than hoofball.

Cattermole & Larsson will be in direct competition with Tiote & Barton. I say go with the 4-4-2 as we have enough there to cancel those two out, allow Cabaye to play his passing game and let Jonas run at Bardsley.

Off to William Hill in a bit, hopefully I'll get some good odds on Saylor/Barton scoring the winning goal in a 1-0 win for us.

Went for Barton to score and us to win 1-0.

75-1, £3 stake

I really do have a good feeling about tomorrow, we'll nick it....