This new style of play, tactic, formation is...?

Guest MrSundlofer

Apart from the fact it was nothing like that ;)

Aye. Obertan never even played.

Were we watching the same match?

Lol @ putting Pieters in the line up. Can't understand all that nonsense about putting players in lineups when they're not even ours yet :D

We were expected to sign a new LB before the match, we had a week to do so, Pieters was our only target at the time, hence he was in my expected line-up. What's not to understand?

Lol @ putting Pieters in the line up. Can't understand all that nonsense about putting players in lineups when they're not even ours yet :D

We were expected to sign a new LB before the match, we had a week to do so, Pieters was our only target at the time, hence he was in my expected line-up. What's not to understand?

You were being a bit premature and discussing things that were only possibilities. If we're going to start naming players who aren't actually at the club...

You were being a bit premature and discussing things that were only possibilities. If we're going to start naming players who aren't actually at the club...

I assumed that there was a basic level of competence in our board room and that Pardew would keep his word, I'm sure we've all fallen for that one from time to time.

I don't think Pardew has implemented our new style and system to the team yet. We've started out with 2 tough games, coming off the back of a questionnable pre-season and I feel he's gone with a very protective approach to make sure that we get off to a solid start. To his credit, it's worked but I'm looking forward to him taking the shackles off a bit with certain players, like Cabaye.

I think we started off with a 4-4-2 against Arsenal, but have switched to a 4-2-3-1, with Cabaye pushed further forward, and Tiote and Barton in the centre.

It actually looks like a good use of those three's individual abilities. When Ben Arfa and Marveaux are ready, they should fit into it well too. The challenge will be to score enough goals, and not leave the loan striker isolated, which is the usual problem with that kind of formation. But Cabaye, Marveaux and Ben Arfa should have the energy to do that, so I'm optimistic.

I think we started off with a 4-4-2 against Arsenal, but have switched to a 4-2-3-1, with Cabaye pushed further forward, and Tiote and Barton in the centre.

It actually looks like a good use of those three's individual abilities. When Ben Arfa and Marveaux are ready, they should fit into it well too. The challenge will be to score enough goals, and not leave the loan striker isolated, which is the usual problem with that kind of formation. But Cabaye, Marveaux and Ben Arfa should have the energy to do that, so I'm optimistic.

I'm not convinced by the three man midfield as it stands as Barton and Cabaye both seem to like sitting deep and the forwards are getting isolated. Maybe it's been the match situations and we have been cautious because of the tough opening but going forward we've looked impotent. Again, it might be the forwards are not up to it, Shola we all know about and Obertan looked lost yesterday. We definitely need to make some changes because we are far from the finished product yet.

To me it seems like they aren't used to it quite yet, hence the reason why it seems more like an offensive midfielder at times instead of a midfield trio. Cabaye and Barton are probably going to take turns to run off into the hole as both got something to offer there. Want us to put the line abit higher up as I think we got enough speed to do so. Maybe the left back situation has prevented us from doing so yet but hopefully we will set the line as high as the circle in later stages of the season. That will close the gap between midfield and attack quite abit.

Wingers I hope will be more of inside forwards. Simmo this season clearly has more loose shackels as he was running up the field all day long. But I question his willingness to get back again when he has gone for a run. Maybe he has to work on his stamina to be able to do both in games? Also thinking the thought of having Raylor on the right back as he can offer alot with quality service out wide.

Maybe its just me but I hate seeing all this long ball football, we were short of ideas for long periods and looked to pump the ball forward from the backline an awful lot. Scunthorpe pressed well but we sould holding onto possession a lot better than we were.

If pardew has set out to play carpet football and this is his interpretation of it then I'm a little concerned, I know its early on, but all of the goals we've scored this season have been individual efforts rather than clear cut team made chances.

Still no decisive plan of action in my opinion.

Maybe its just me but I hate seeing all this long ball football, we were short of ideas for long periods and looked to pump the ball forward from the backline an awful lot. Scunthorpe pressed well but we sould holding onto possession a lot better than we were.

If pardew has set out to play carpet football and this is his interpretation of it then I'm a little concerned, I know its early on, but all of the goals we've scored this season have been individual efforts rather than clear cut team made chances.

I think Pardew is in danger of being found out this season. One of the basics of passing football is for the goalkeeper to throw the ball out when possible as this keeps possession and you can build from the back. Krul is whacking the ball down the pitch every time and that's because the manager hasn't told him otherwise.

Not saying we do this, but one of the things I remember Keegan used to say with regards to throw ins was that he was never bothered who took them, unless it was the player closest to the ball, so it kept the momentum and possession going.

Not saying we do this, but one of the things I remember Keegan used to say with regards to throw ins was that he was never bothered who took them, unless it was the player closest to the ball, so it kept the momentum and possession going.

Can you imagine a Keegan team playing football like this? It really comes down to Pardew in the end. He isn't clear enough in his direction.

Guest sicko2ndbest

A team with

Marveux cheik cabaye jonas

Ben arfa

In it can play rmthe way he wants.

If you play Ba and Best up front it ain't going to happen

Gosling and Marveaux started their first game ever for us.

Cabaye's 3d start.

It takes time.

It's not about the personnel, its about how the side set out to play and how they actually played. A lot of long ball stuff, a bit of individual "blind alley" dribbling and very few give and goes, or one touch stuff, very little movement as well. All stuff which you'd hope would be apparent from a full pre season where he's had chance to implement his philosophy fully.

I think Pardew is in danger of being found out this season. One of the basics of passing football is for the goalkeeper to throw the ball out when possible as this keeps possession and you can build from the back. Krul is whacking the ball down the pitch every time and that's because the manager hasn't told him otherwise.

With the exception of colo, who is an excellent passer none of our backline should be pumping it forward. My concern is that this 'habit' of hitting it long is bypassing our 2 excellent ball playing midfielders. They can't influence the game if they're constantly trying to pick up knock downs etc.

Very unimpressed so far.

Still a few more players short than I originally thought. 

Hopefully Pardew will make the defenders realise that Tiote and Cabaye are available for short passes, and it can build from there.

The urge to hump it long is strong in most defenders really, it's a hard one to change. They were even launching long balls to Sammy tonight.

One of the problems from tonight I thought was that even when Cabaye came short, Gosling was about 30 yards further up the pitch.  Add to that the fact that we didn't have a right winger and it made it more difficult to stretch them in the hope of creating more space in the middle.

Hopefully Pardew will make the defenders realise that Tiote and Cabaye are available for short passes, and it can build from there.

The urge to hump it long is strong in most defenders really, it's a hard one to change. They were even launching long balls to Sammy tonight.

It's down to Pardew to instil the passing philosophy really. Keegan might have had his faults but he was meticulous in how he got his teams to play the game. It really does come down to the manager.