This new style of play, tactic, formation is...?

Guest MrSundlofer

Hopefully Pardew will make the defenders realise that Tiote and Cabaye are available for short passes, and it can build from there.

The urge to hump it long is strong in most defenders really, it's a hard one to change. They were even launching long balls to Sammy tonight.

Pardew has had the whole of pre season to make them realise that, I remember when keegan took over from allardyce and in his first game against bolton, had harper roll the ball out to the left back instead of launch it to little oba.

Hopefully Pardew will make the defenders realise that Tiote and Cabaye are available for short passes, and it can build from there.

The urge to hump it long is strong in most defenders really, it's a hard one to change. They were even launching long balls to Sammy tonight.

Pardew has had the whole of pre season to make them realise that, I remember when keegan took over from allardyce and in his first game against bolton, had harper roll the ball out to the left back instead of launch it to little oba.

Exactly.

Our fullback's simply dont have good enough footballing ability to controll the ball quickly enough and find a good option to pass to, like Enrique (except the odd missplaced)

Of course not always because of this.

To me it looked like we finished with a 4-3-3 tonight:

------------------------Cabaye------------------------

-----Vuckic/Gosling------------------Marveaux-----

Lovenkrands------------Best-----------Ba/Ameobi

We looked much better for it too.

Our fullback's simply dont have good enough footballing ability to controll the ball quickly enough and find a good option to pass to, like Enrique (except the odd missplaced)

I'm not going to sing the praises of our full backs but controlling the ball and making a short pass is basic and our full backs are good enough for that. What isn't good enough is that only marv and cabaye actively looked to recieve the ball...

I'm not going to sing the praises of our full backs but controlling the ball and making a short pass is basic and our full backs are good enough for that. What isn't good enough is that only marv and cabaye actively looked to recieve the ball...

No no no.

At least not good enough under a tiny little bit of pressure.

No no no.

They're both proffessional footballers, yes they can. It's a pretty big flaw for any footballer let alone a premiership footballer.

No no no.

They're both proffessional footballers, yes they can. It's a pretty big flaw for any footballer let alone a premiership footballer.

They might be professional footballers, but they can't play football, or do the simple pass under a little bit of pressure.

No no no.

If you recall when Keegan first took over from Allardyce he remarked that the players were almost scared to make short passes for fear of losing the ball. He had to encourage them to play the pass and he'd take responsibility for the mistakes. This is how you teach a passing philosophy. Keegan wasn't brilliant tactically but he knew how to make a team play the way he wanted.

No no no.

If you recall when Keegan first took over from Allardyce he remarked that the players were almost scared to make short passes for fear of losing the ball. He had to encourage them to play the pass and he'd take responsibility for the mistakes. This is how you teach a passing philosophy. Keegan wasn't brilliant tactically but he knew how to make a team play the way he wanted.

Aye, very true. At the end of the day, players should be begging for the ball.

Aye, the full-backs just can't do it.

Simpson shits himself when an opposition player comes within 5 yards and inevitably plays it back to the keeper or nearest centre-half. you can expect next to nothing from him in terms of bringing the ball out of defence and starting attacks.

Raylor is just as poor on the other flank. Now that Enrique's gone and we can't just give him the ball it's put Simpson's ineptitude into sharp focus. Full-backs are an essential out ball for any side looking to retain the ball and we don't have good enough. I think it's a big part of why our possession play has been so awful so far.

Really, really hope there's something to these Santon rumours.

Was really hoping that the 4-3-3 was on the cards for the season, but now Barton is out the door that idea could be scrapped - cos Gosling's not fit to lace his boots. Early days i know, but he comes across as such a nothing footballer. Reasonable squad member for sure, but at present, i'd say even Guthrie has more outstanding qualities than him.

Sigh. Barton-Tiote-Cabaye; it's gonna be another one of them 'whatif' combinations that the club has missed out on, because it really could have been something great in the middle of the park. We'd have walked over several other midfields in this division with that steely and triumvirate. And we're pissing that away... pissing away the first chance we've had to have a midfield that can actually dominate, in about ten years. Over a social-networking dispute. Absolutely infuriating.

Ah well. Still, there's definitely hope in Tiote and Cabaye in the centre of a 4-4-2, once both of them have found their feet. I think both of them are exemplary athletes and very good footballers, so it'll still be a lot better than what we've had in the past.

At present, i see our best side looking something like this:

------------------------------ Krul --------------------------------

Simpson -------- Taylor --------- Coloccini ------ A New LB

Jonas ---------- Cabaye -------- Tiote ----------- Marveaux

------------------------- HBA -------------------------------------

-------------------------------- Ba/Best -------------------------

Obviously Ba's had an horrendous start but i'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt because his goalscoring record speaks for itself. I'm kinda hoping this Ramadan fasting nonsense is playing a part in his, quite frankly, lethargic (or 'effortless', to the naked eye) performances.

The other contentious issue is, obviously, Jonas down the right - which he has never played before. But he is right-footed, and Jose's gone. The only thing keeping him there currently, imo, is the much needed defensive assistance for Ryan Taylor. But Simpson could use it too and i'd be eager to see Gutierrez down the right. I don't see how his attributes 'favour' the left exactly. The only reason why he got stuck there is because of the superb combination he'd built up with Enrique. It's not as if he's a winger who likes to cut inside and spray the ball about with his stronger foot. He's a byline winger, so i'd be surprised if he couldn't translate his attributes to the right hand side.

And i think Marveaux is going to be an excellent player for us once he gets into some rhythm... so he'll be one to have in the side and in his best position.

A lot does depend on the new striker and Ben Arfa's return. We look ropey upfront at the moment but things, in my opinion, will drastically improve once those things come together.

It's hugely frustrating that we've been forced into this transitional period, due to many (you could say avoidable) circumstances. A pitifully organised pre-season, frugality, and a couple of injuries have left us still looking like strangers and stunting our progress in finding the best footballing formula. Keeping the players together during the summer, as well as using the time and money we've been gifted to structure the squad exactly the way we wanted - would have seen us go right into this season with Pardew and the players really knowing the score.

One thing is for sure though, there's shit-loads of excellent players in this squad and once we get going, i think we're going to be a good side. So much depends on the last few days of the window though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Is Krul being told to aimlessly smash it up field at every oppertunity? Woeful stuff.

Without a doubt. Think he wanted to play it out from the back, instructions were very clearly "play it deep upfield, hope Shola and Besty can disrupt".

I think Pardew's trying to be too clever, when we do have the players capable of a decent passing game. We're making assumptions about our opponents and worrying about them instead of playing our own game. The Allardyce comparison is pretty apt from that perspective.