This new style of play, tactic, formation is...?

Guest MrSundlofer

I get the feeling that Pardew wants to play a different system, but doesn't have the balls to go for it. Instead, he makes changes in the games that changes the formation (today when Marveux came on, we looked like we went 4-2-3-1, in the Arse game he took Ba off and changed it at half time). Today we looked a lot better once Marveux and Sa.Ameobi came on, though that's mainly cause it was difficult to be any worse.

Couldn't really call it a style of "play" tonight like.

More like hoof it to Shola.

thats because we have 2 central midfielders who like to play deep, 2 forwrds with limited (at best) movemnet and 2 wide players who stay in their positions making it all so easy to defend against.

Couldn't really call it a style of "play" tonight like.

More like hoof it to Shola.

thats because we have 2 central midfielders who like to play deep, 2 forwrds with limited (at best) movemnet and 2 wide players who stay in their positions making it all so easy to defend against.

We'd murder most teams in a game of statues, though.

Guest MrSundlofer

Wrote this in another thread:

A 4-4-2 worked well last season with Jonás - Nolan - Tioté - Barton... and Barton was acting more as a central midfielder than a right winger. Nowadays we play with a left winger, a right winger and two central midfielders. Could say Tioté are used to play with two other central midfielders (from last season and from his time in Holland) and Cabaye was a part of a three-man-midfield in Lille. These two are now our two central midfielders. Great players, but are they "build" to play in a 4-4-2? I think both of them play their best football in a 4-3-3.

However, I gladly give them time to adapt.

Pardew really need Ben Arfa to return to the side so he can play 4-2-3-1 with Ben Arfa just behind the striker, but if he continues to play a 4-4-2 formation he must have something in mind. Keep it simple. Tioté and Cabaye in central midfield - breaking up attacks and passing the ball to the wingers (Jonás, Obertan or Marveaux) and they run with the ball down the flank and hit crosses to our strikers (Ba, Best or Ameobi) to score with the head. Simple. I rather prefer a 4-5-1 until Ben Arfa returns though.

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to the Spurs game now, think it will give us a good indication of how far from the top 6 we are.

Yep. Spurs are definitely top 6 material, if we look the part against them I think we're in business.

That passage of play when we were just passing the ball around and keeping possession - great stuff. Our general style of play today (and indeed against Villa) was definitely encouraging.

Long may it continue.