Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

http://www.themag.co.uk/2014/04/said-newcastle-keeper-rob-elliot-walked-club-last-night-spoke/

This guy said it. If you're questioning whether the quotes are accurate then that's a different argument. If Elliot said that stuff he's a tosser, same as everyone said he was a tosser at the time the story came out.

Reads like the bloke went up to Elliott, started laying into him, didn't like the response and resorted to bitching on the Internet.

Pardew bumboy. For that alone he can f*** off.

Third best keeper at the club, the fact that he won player of the season tells you everything about how s**** our year was.

Man taken from league one to premier league by manager, is grateful, subsequently refuses to slag off manager to stranger in a nightclub. Hardly crime of the century.

[emoji38] People need to get a grip like.

That wasn't all he said though, was it. Basically said Newcastle were where they belonged in the bottom half and fans had ideas above their station. Essentially that's backing the way we've been run by Ashley.

Were you there then?

Really?

If you ignored the fact it's Newcastle and pardew, would you believe that's actually how that encounter went verbatim?

He was an adequate fill-in last season and I think he certainly improved as a keeper. One of the few who doesn't deserve much blame for us going down. At best he's a back-up at the PL level, not the type to be a difference maker from that position. Darlow showed far more promise during his brief stint between the posts.

It's pretty damning of the season we had that he's our POY, which basically amounts to "Player who wasn't complete shit most of the time."

Elliott is playing for the biggest club of his career and it will remain the biggest club of his career. I'm not particularly surprised he towed the company line and said those things (if he did). I don't like that he said it like.

It wouldn't surprise me if he said we're gonna be in the champions league in 3 years with Benitez now [emoji38]

With regards to "winning points", if he's made crucial saves he's won points just as much as Townsends goals and assists. I think the discussion is only being had as a result of Elliotts persona as opposed to his goalkeeping ability / form.

I don't think anyone is under any illusion that he's some sort of world class goalkeeper. He's a bang average goalkeeper. However, he was in the form of his career last season and he was one of the only ones performing anywhere near an even satisfactory level. The fact he won this award speaks volumes for how poor the other players have been.

He was an adequate fill-in last season and I think he certainly improved as a keeper. One of the few who doesn't deserve much blame for us going down. At best he's a back-up at the PL level, not the type to be a difference maker from that position. Darlow showed far more promise during his brief stint between the posts.

It's pretty damning of the season we had that he's our POY, which basically amounts to "Player who wasn't complete s*** most of the time."

:thup:

Well you've went from "refuses to slag off manager" to implying the whole thing's bollocks anyway, so no point in the discussion.

Because I can believe he did that. The rest is up for debate in my eyes.

Can imagine him defending pardew, pissing off the guy who wrote the article, and that colouring how he reported the rest of it.

Well you've went from "refuses to slag off manager" to implying the whole thing's bollocks anyway, so no point in the discussion.

Can imagine him defending pardew, pissing off the guy who wrote the article, and that colouring how he reported the rest of it.

He never really wrote it as an article, he posted on here the exchange he had and iirc was encouraged to send it to the Mag.

You should have told me upfront what you imagined to be true and not true then, would have saved us some time as I'd have not bothered [emoji38]

I don't think he was lying, but anyone is going to be influenced by how well they get on with someone in a short meeting to how they retell the story later.

Aye fair enough, I think it's obvious they had an argument though and Elliott was dismissive of the SackPardew unrest that was going on. I'd be amazed if he'd said anything sensible during it.

'We should be aiming for top 8' compared to 'midtable and trying for 8th is out level' are 2 very different things for example.

Specifics and subtleties get lost in these kind of stories sometimes.

You should have told me upfront what you imagined to be true and not true then, would have saved us some time as I'd have not bothered [emoji38]

Wey soz didn't realise you were busy :lol:

Nowt to do with Pardew. Professional keepers at any level are very good at shot stopping. Be it at Premier League or League Two level. There's top level keepers who regularly pull off saves you don't see all keepers make, but it's the all)round game that makes a Premier League level keeper different. I don't see it with him. He's not great at positioning, conmand of the area, kicking the ball, organising a defence, he's just saved shots which all keepers do. Bournemouth away being an exceptional exception.

Elliot had some great and shocking games in equal measure. Aside from Darlow's horror show debut at the Hawthorns he was consistently canny in the end of season run in. I'd be looking to give Darlow the shirt in the Championship and challenge him to keep it; he'll become way better than Fat Rob if he gets games.

"Good shot stopper but can't command his area" has been used to describe every one of our keepers from Given to Harper to Krul to Elliot. Honestly I just think it's a lazy man's way of assessing goalkeepers because it's so difficult to identify good keepers with the naked eye aside from obvious mistakes like dropping the ball.

Krul to be fair is good at taking the initiative and dominating his box, especially for his age. He's still probably 5 years off his prime. It was definitely Given's weakness, no question. Elliot's just pretty shit, end of.

It does wind me up when people say 'good shot stopper' mind. Every goalkeeper from Conference above is a good shot stopper. You get some who are absolutely incredible, obviously, like De Gea.

Krul to be fair is good at taking the initiative and dominating his box, especially for his age. He's still probably 5 years off his prime. It was definitely Given's weakness, no question. Elliot's just pretty shit, end of.

It does wind me up when people say 'good shot stopper' mind. Every goalkeeper from Conference above is a good shot stopper. You get some who are absolutely incredible, obviously, like De Gea.

:thup:

And Alnwick couldn't even manage that much when he was here. Comically poor keeper.