Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

In the time Elliot played this season hes been better than Krul has been for a few seasons, there have been games where his contribution has actually equated to us earning points, Bournemouth away anyone?

Hes pulled off some fantastic stops and his distribution was a breath of fresh air, I'm not saying hes been incredible or anything over the top like that but hes been very good since coming in and certainly doesn't deserve much criticism, if this was a random lad from the reserves or a young unknown from abroad everyone would be wanking off over him.

Its his Pardew affiliation that people can't see to get over, it pisses me off too to be honest but credit where its due he did very well last season, not much in it between him and Darlow though he also looks solid.

People just expect more from Krul than they would of Elliot or Darlow. I don't think either have been better than Krul this season, although Krul's distribution is obviously absolutely horrible

In the time Elliot played this season hes been better than Krul has been for a few seasons, there have been games where his contribution has actually equated to us earning points, Bournemouth away anyone?

Hes pulled off some fantastic stops and his distribution was a breath of fresh air, I'm not saying hes been incredible or anything over the top like that but hes been very good since coming in and certainly doesn't deserve much criticism, if this was a random lad from the reserves or a young unknown from abroad everyone would be wanking off over him.

Its his Pardew affiliation that people can't see to get over, it pisses me off too to be honest but credit where its due he did very well last season, not much in it between him and Darlow though he also looks solid.

Nah.

Nah.

But aye though.

Nah.

But aye though.

Nah it's complete bollocks. He's cost us as many points, if not more, than he won with the odd good performance e.g. Bournemouth.

Krul had been poor for a while but Elliot still hasn't really been better than him.

He's just not good enough at this level, he's not tall enough, doesn't dive well, horrendously slow off his line, positioning not the best. Decent shop stopped as almost all professional footballers are and decent reflexes.

He's just not very good.

Nah.

But aye though.

Nah it's complete bollocks. He's cost us as many points, if not more, than he won with the odd good performance e.g. Bournemouth.

Krul had been poor for a while but Elliot still hasn't really been better than him.

He's just not good enough at this level, he's not tall enough, doesn't dive well, horrendously slow off his line, positioning not the best. Decent shop stopper as almost all professional footballers are and decent reflexes.

He's just not very good.

Each to their own like, but I can't recall much of that personally, all I remember when watching him was being surprised at how established he looked between the sticks, a little bit slow in getting down for those low shots at times but not in an overly calamitous way.

Not sure I'd want him as our number one in the premier league but think he would make a good, solid backup keeper.

Mind you it does prove how embarrassingly bad our season was that he was voted player of the season.

Nah.

But aye though.

He's just not good enough at this level, he's not tall enough, doesn't dive well, horrendously slow off his line, positioning not the best. Decent shop stopped as almost all professional footballers are and decent reflexes.

He's just not very good.

State of this post  :lol:

Nah.

But aye though.

He's just not very good.

It's 100% accurate.

All I'll say about Elliot I'd be surprised if Rafa and his staff weren't looking to ship him sooner rather than later. He might keep him around in the championship but I'd expect him to be out the door in the event we're promoted right away.

I think people's opinions are being somewhat muddied by the fact he's seen to be a Pardew apologist.

Agreed.

Of course they are. Personally not going to base my opinion of him on a 30 second conversation with someone when mortal on a night out.

As long as he's trying his best on the pitch he could have fucked Yorkie relentlessly for all I care. He's not particularly good, but he's our 2nd/3rd choice keeper and perfectly acceptable to do that job next season.

Hey I've only been here a few minutes what's going on.

I think people's opinions are being somewhat muddied by the fact he's seen to be a Pardew apologist.

Agreed.

Of course they are. Personally not going to base my opinion of him on a 30 second conversation with someone when mortal on a night out.

As long as he's trying his best on the pitch he could have fucked Yorkie relentlessly for all I care. He's not particularly good, but he's our 2nd/3rd choice keeper and perfectly acceptable to do that job next season.

Hey I've only been here a few minutes what's going on.

I actually thought it was you who had cornered him in a clurb. Apparently not :lol:

Nah.

But aye though.

He's just not very good.

It's 100% accurate.

That's why he was named player of the year and didn't drop any clangers when he was playing for us? Darlow cost us more points in the games he played than Elliot did.

Nah.

But aye though.

He's just not very good.

It's 100% accurate.

That's why he was named player of the year and didn't drop any clangers when he was playing for us? Darlow cost us more points in the games he played than Elliot did.

Nonsense.

Once Darlow had a run he showed he was clearly better than Elliot, he also has the potential to get a fair bit better.

Long term I don't think he'll be good enough be our number 1 though.

He was named player of the year because expectations for him were so low, expectations for everyone else were far higher. Given that we've been relegated, it's not too surprising that a guy everyone thought would be utter shit but who actually, was at times, a career high 'competent' is our player of the season.

Compare his performances to Habib Beye in 2008-09. POTY in this team is the faintest of faint praise.

Nah.

But aye though.

He's just not very good.

It's 100% accurate.

Nonsense.

Once Darlow had a run he showed he was clearly better than Elliot, he also has the potential to get a fair bit better.

Long term I don't think he'll be good enough be our number 1 though.

I agree with that....apart from thre "showed he was clearly better than Elliot" bit. If we were in the prem, keeper would be one of the major positions we'd be looking at, as it is I'd keep Darlow as no.1 for his potential and he's already done it at that level.

Elliott did drop clangers. He was directly responsible for us losing 2 games due to clangers for a start.

Easily.

Truth be told I'm not entirely comfortable with Darlow as our first choice either, mind.