Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

"Devastating news for @the_dilsh Football is cruel at times. Newcastle's best player this season by a mile. Wishing you a speedy recovery."

That's from our greatest ever player by the way. "s*** pundit anyway, man"

:lol:

And because he's our greatest player ever it means he's automatically right? footballers are known for saying moronic things, because he's been there and done it don't mean i have to agree with him and bow down to him.

"Devastating news for @the_dilsh Football is cruel at times. Newcastle's best player this season by a mile. Wishing you a speedy recovery."

That's from our greatest ever player by the way. "s*** pundit anyway, man"

And because he's our greatest player ever it means he's automatically right? footballers are known for saying moronic things, because he's been there and done it don't mean i have to agree with him and bow down to him.

Which is fair comment until you realise that you are indeed in the minority. Then you say, "well most of our fans are idiots, so they deserve what they get."

He's been our best player, he's had a very good season, we will suffer because hes injured and YES we are still shite.

That's from our greatest ever player by the way. "Shit pundit anyway, man"

[emoji38]

Peter Beardsley isn't a pundit is he?

Can only say i have been happy with Elliots performances since taking over from Krul. He is nothing special - but he has done his best when other hasn´t.

His injury comes at a critical time...coz we do not know what Darlow can do and it will naturally bring some unrest to the defence. Hopefully he can start well and gain some confidence.

Ironically - losing Elliot is a big blow!

That's from our greatest ever player by the way. "Shit pundit anyway, man"

[emoji38]

Peter Beardsley isn't a pundit is he?

How can you even say a goalkeeper has unequivocally been a side's player of the season, especially when that side are 19th in the table and have conceded the 2nd most goals in the league?

It's a completely baseless accolade that you could say for 4-5 other players if you were trying to big them up.

"Sissoko's been our player of the season, no matter how small pathetic an award that may be."

"Wijnaldum's been our player of the season, no matter how small pathetic an award that may be."

See, it means nothing.

Pure nonsense. They will do a vote and he will win, unless we stay up.

Goals conceded = standard of goalkeeping is the most amateurish shite I've ever heard.

We have conceded so many goals because we have a shite team and an even worse defence.

If it wasn't for Elliot we would have zero away wins. He won us 6 points on his own, at least, at Bournemouth and Spurs.

He's been excellent and our lack of forward thinking will cost us.

A vote? That changes everything like.

To suggest Elliot won us 6 points on his own is, as you say, the most amateurish shite I've ever heard. And again you can say the same about other players in other games (Perez for example in the exact 2 games you mentioned).

I think he's done a fair enough job in goal, certainly better than I thought he was capable of, but I find the praise he recieves for literally 'being a goalkeeper' absurd. People jizz over his Bournemouth performance but for all they botted us silly they were awful infront of goal. Him getting PotS is as baseless as giving it to the retired tea lady, he isn't good enough and it'll be madness if he's our number 1 next season.

"I don't care what anyone thinks, I still don't like him. He can make good saves, win us points, be our best player over the season but I don't care because I don't like him."

Like a big child man. He's been excellent for us, just get over it.

You're being absolutely pathetic man, a total cringe.

I disagree with you, I don't think he's been great for us by any means and I think some of his performances have been greatly exaggerated, you mentioning Spurs and Bournemouth just reinforce my opinion more as they're 2 of the games I can remember hearing he 'stole us points' but I honestly couldn't see it myself.

I don't like him granted, but then again I don't like Sissoko but I'd make the argument he's been more valuable for us this season than Rob Elliott, an easily replaceable Championship/lower-tier Premiership goalkeeper.

But aye, Rob Elliot being our best player this season is literally the only argument that can be made or something, well done on actually saying that.

:lol: Calm down man.

I'm not going to spend all day defending a player I don't particularly rate (I said he had an excellent season, not that he's a good player), even if you don't agree.

I'd suggest you watch those saves again. He made all the saves he could, in those games. Without him we would have never got back into the game.

Except Eric Dier's goal like, but fair enough, he has made saves, I'm not disputing that.

Depressing thing to happen at this stage, especially to one of our most improved players this season.

Also removes one of the very few who show anything approaching leadership.

A personal message from Rob

16:59

Rob Elliot

View this online | Share this via facebook twitter

Newcastle UnitedNewcastle United Football Club

"Thank you"

A personal message from Rob Elliot

Dear wallsendmag

I wanted to take the opportunity to write to you all personally and say a massive thank you for all the messages of support I have received since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury while playing for Ireland last night.

The warm wishes I have seen from fans, players and people involved in the game mean the world to me and it’s nice to know that there are so many good people wishing me well at such a dark time.

Sustaining the injury happened in a split second. The ball was played across the goal and I moved across to get in line. I dived after the ball as I would do in any training session or any game, but I felt pain straight away. Watching it back, I grabbed my knee before I’d even landed.

When I found out it was my cruciate ligament, that’s when the tears came. There was a wave of emotion knowing I’d miss the rest of the season with Newcastle and the Euros with Ireland. But you have to let that come, get past it and then look to be positive.

I’ve got a good base of people who’ve been through this before. Former teammates like Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling and players like Tim Krul, who is going through it now. Tim will be a great support to me and I hope we can help each other.

We’re still in a fight as a club but on a personal level, I’m very proud to have played a part this season and to have made a difference.

When I was initially thrown in, people were unsure. But you, our fans, supported me and had faith in me. I remember when I walked out for the Norwich game and the whole Gallowgate stood and applauded me. I hadn’t done anything at that point but you were right behind me and it gave me the confidence I needed going into that game.

That triggered it. When you have the backing of the whole city, it lifts you and you take that confidence into every game. You feel part of it and I want to thank our fans for that.

Karl Darlow will now get that opportunity and I know you will show him the support that you've given me. He’s a great guy, he gets what Newcastle is all about and he works hard every day to get an opportunity like this. He deserves that roar from our fans like I had.

I messaged him as soon as I knew about my injury because I wanted him to know and to be ready. I know how good a goalkeeper he is already and how good he is going to be.

Norwich will be a big game and a big occasion for all of us on Saturday and we need to show the fight and resolve that we’ve shown recently.

I see the quality the boys have every day. We’ve got such ability and so many great people, I just want them to go out and express themselves so that when we walk off the pitch, we don’t regret anything.

We’re sold out away from home again. All of those people are going there, like they do every week, to help us to perform and we need to do that.

I wish Karl and the boys the best in carrying us forward and getting us out of the relegation fight. Alongside you, I’ll be right behind them.

Rob Elliot

Rob Elliot

"Thank you"

Dear wallsendmag

I wanted to take the opportunity to write to you all personally and say a massive thank you for all the messages of support I have received since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury while playing for Ireland last night.

The warm wishes I have seen from fans, players and people involved in the game mean the world to me and it’s nice to know that there are so many good people wishing me well at such a dark time.

Sustaining the injury happened in a split second. The ball was played across the goal and I moved across to get in line. I dived after the ball as I would do in any training session or any game, but I felt pain straight away. Watching it back, I grabbed my knee before I’d even landed.

When I found out it was my cruciate ligament, that’s when the tears came. There was a wave of emotion knowing I’d miss the rest of the season with Newcastle and the Euros with Ireland. But you have to let that come, get past it and then look to be positive.

I’ve got a good base of people who’ve been through this before. Former teammates like Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling and players like Tim Krul, who is going through it now. Tim will be a great support to me and I hope we can help each other.

We’re still in a fight as a club but on a personal level, I’m very proud to have played a part this season and to have made a difference.

When I was initially thrown in, people were unsure. But you, our fans, supported me and had faith in me. I remember when I walked out for the Norwich game and the whole Gallowgate stood and applauded me. I hadn’t done anything at that point but you were right behind me and it gave me the confidence I needed going into that game.

That triggered it. When you have the backing of the whole city, it lifts you and you take that confidence into every game. You feel part of it and I want to thank our fans for that.

Karl Darlow will now get that opportunity and I know you will show him the support that you've given me. He’s a great guy, he gets what Newcastle is all about and he works hard every day to get an opportunity like this. He deserves that roar from our fans like I had.

I messaged him as soon as I knew about my injury because I wanted him to know and to be ready. I know how good a goalkeeper he is already and how good he is going to be.

Norwich will be a big game and a big occasion for all of us on Saturday and we need to show the fight and resolve that we’ve shown recently.

I see the quality the boys have every day. We’ve got such ability and so many great people, I just want them to go out and express themselves so that when we walk off the pitch, we don’t regret anything.

We’re sold out away from home again. All of those people are going there, like they do every week, to help us to perform and we need to do that.

I wish Karl and the boys the best in carrying us forward and getting us out of the relegation fight. Alongside you, I’ll be right behind them.

Rob Elliot

...at home watching the telly

Rob Elliot

"Thank you"

Dear wallsendmag

Rob Elliot

I choked up over this.  Then I drank some water, swallowed and immediately felt better.