Everton, screwed?

Gash

Guest Howaythetoon

Yes, I'd say so. We're in a very bad situation currently. Can't see administration but still.

There's a general feeling of negativity about the future following on from the Kenwright meeting last week, where it became clear he knew a lot less about what was going on at the club financially than what a chairman ought to know.

If you lost Moyes yous would be screwed. Although I think someone like Hughes would be an ideal fit for Everton and would be akin to replacing Moyes with another Moyes. That's the type of manager yous need, someone who can work with an extremely limited budget, grind out good results and spirited performances and unearth the odd decent player.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How are Everton in such a bad way? They don't seem to spend massively. Do they pay huge wages or is it debt from other things? I haven't seen what the Kenwright meeting was about.

Loads of loans.

Loads of transfers spread over x months.

Sounds painfully familiar. Doesn't it, Freddy?

An Everton fan I know said he's been hearing whispers of administration for them this season. Anybody heard any more of this?

Would be such a shame Everton are one of few clubs in the league I like to see do well.

'Whispers'.  :lol:

Arteta - a lot. Think he's the highest earner at the club - 65/70k

Rodwell - not much, think he's only on 25k-ish.

Jags - 40-45k

Baines - similar I think

Those are a few, I have a feeling Fellaini's still on relatively low wages. Think Cahill and Heitinga also earn 50k+

You were flavour of the month from our lot for a bit, yeah. How ironic.

If you look at our accounts and follow financial tidbits, then it's been known for a while now that we're in the shit financially. Funny how the media have decided to jump on it the past week or 2, as though they're surprised that yes, we really do have no money.

It's quite amazing really, given that they seem to be such a well run club with regards to the resources they have available to them.

I think there's the main difference between a fans point of view and financial reality.

They're a good example of how to 'spend within your means' each year, while adding to the ever-burdening cost of borrowing to 'show ambition' and sign/retain top players.

Something that certain Ashley-hating posters on here have been advocating :(

It's quite amazing really, given that they seem to be such a well run club with regards to the resources they have available to them.

I think there's the main difference between a fans point of view and financial reality.

They're a good example of how to 'spend within your means' each year, while adding to the ever-burdening cost of borrowing to 'show ambition' and sign/retain top players.

As I say, I'd be laughed out of town if I said "you don't have things too bad, actually."

That's purely from what I read, of course. But the impression I get is, behind the woefully incompetent football side of his ownership, he's cleaned an awful lot up behind the scenes in terms of debt?

:no: Man, just when I was beginning to like you guys...

:sadnod:

Mainly because of Neil like. Maybe we can adopt him? EVERTOON MAG!

Neil's been desperate to start supporting NUFC since HBA owned Goodison.

Lucky hit.

Guest north shields lad

its this situation which makes the spunking of 15mil+ on fellaini seem even more ridiculous

He is worth more than that.

As I say, I'd be laughed out of town if I said "you don't have things too bad, actually."

That's purely from what I read, of course. But the impression I get is, behind the woefully incompetent football side of his ownership, he's cleaned an awful lot up behind the scenes in terms of debt?

Certainly has, which will be questioned by the usual Shepherd-apologists. We're seemingly now protected from commercial interest rates and having sporting decisions influenced by 3P (i.e. Everton and transfers). A club the size of NUFC used to generate the 4th largest commercial income in the UK (top 20 in Europe) so there's definitely a big potential for the club to grow organically (we've seen a hefty reduction in income streams since Ashley took over, for various reasons, internal and external) and return to one of the top tables.

For a long time, the Liverpool brand has been horrendously undersold by the management, it seems the new owners have finally untapped that resource (see the latest sponsorship deals) and it's no surprise to see the two most successful clubs in the history of the game generating a similar revenue from shirt sponsorship. This puts the problems that Chelsea have into perspective - you can't buy prestige with a couple of trophies, it takes years or decades to gain that sort of brand power.

Do they really have that many sellable players?

Quite a few are getting on a bit, others are nearing end of contracts, some are just mediocre and won't attract high fees. Arteta would struggle to find a good team willing to pay his wage when there are cheaper alternatives on the continent. That leaves Jagielka, Coleman, Fellaini and Rodwell.

Coleman represents a bit of a risk in that he may not improve much, Jagielka will only command a good fee if the right PL club goes for him, but I can't see a vacancy going at the moment. That leaves Rodwell and Feillaini, and Everton are ove the barrell - look at how easily they lost Pienaar.

Do they really have that many sellable players?

Quite a few are getting on a bit, others are nearing end of contracts, some are just mediocre and won't attract high fees. Arteta would struggle to find a good team willing to pay his wage when there are cheaper alternatives on the continent. That leaves Jagielka, Coleman, Fellaini and Rodwell.

Coleman represents a bit of a risk in that he may not improve much, Jagielka will only command a good fee if the right PL club goes for him, but I can't see a vacancy going at the moment. That leaves Rodwell and Feillaini, and Everton are ove the barrell - look at how easily they lost Pienaar.

heard they tried to flog Rodwell but couldn't find any takers at their price

not sure if thats true or not but interest has dried up rapidly compared to 12 months ago

May be idle gossip but I'll post it anyway.

Everton supporting friend says rumours are doing the rounds Moyes is about to walk because he had nothing to do with the sales.

He's not too bothered if he does either...