The striker

Dave

I think we have enough players already who can play the secondary striker role, Ben Arfa, Sammy, Oberton, even Ranger, they all are pretty quick and can work off a main striker. The main striker is the problem, neither Ameobi, Ba or Best look likely to score the goals that we need or to bother anybody but the absolutely worst premier league defences. Bendtner is probably the best option out there though I doubt we will pay the transfer fee Arsenal would like.

Still if we are going to continue to miss out the midfield and play the long ball as we have done in the first three games I doubt it makes much difference who we sign anyhow.

Vuckic also looks like he could be a handful playing just behind a main striker, he's big, puts himself around and obviously is technically good. Who knows how good a finisher he is or the rest of the so called strikers we have, maybe Pardew knows from watching them in training. Sammy showed yesterday that he could play either on the left or right, could beat his man with either trickery or pace and although he seems left footed, he didn't half spank his goal with his right.

It's about time we started playing our promising younger players instead of just talking them up, look at Arsenal with Wiltshire and Ramsey etc

I think Sammy and Vukic could be our saving grace if we don't sign a striker. Both have an eye for goal and showed quality that wasn't evident of some of their senior team mates. Sammy didn't just hit a super strike, his crossing and passing were clever too.

Think it's clear from the 3 games so far that our striking pool is actually bloody awful. Ba may come good in time but signs are not good so far, maybe it's just a fitness thing? because he did look good in the past. The rest are a mixed bag of the mediocre who perform ok once in a while (Ameobi/Best) and the utterly terrible (Loven/Ranger). So really, I think we need 2...no chance of it happening, we've mucked around for far too long this summer. Nobody is going to sell anyone good in the last 6 days of the window unless we offer stupid money, like the bin dippers did for Carroll...and we all know we won't. I doubt we'll sign anyone, maybe someone like Ngog on-loan. Brutal.

Edit to say...I can see Sammy and Vuckic getting more playing time as the season goes on. I hope they progress and we don't ruin them, not ideal to be throwing them in expecting them to be the answer to our problems up front. That said, they just might be our saving grace this year. Ashley and co have a lot to answer for.

I think Sammy and Vukic could be our saving grace if we don't sign a striker. Both have an eye for goal and showed quality that wasn't evident of some of their senior team mates. Sammy didn't just hit a super strike, his crossing and passing were clever too.

Lovenkrands has more experience so never gonna happen.

The fact Lovenkrands has started games in the league for us this season speaks volumes. Absolutely shit state of affairs, luckily the other players have been good enough to carry him.

Guest BooBoo

It's an utter disgrace that Lovenkrands is still being relied on, when he struggled to make any impact against Scunthorpe.

He shouldnt be anywhere near our first team but unfortunately I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him.

My take on it is the powers that be will see our last 4 results and say that we will wait till January window as we have started well ,just a theory but possibly a way of not buying a forward  :rolleyes: