Newcastle United 2 - 1 Fulham - 28/08/11 - post-match reaction from page 48

Dave

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - poor first half, good second half.

That first 45 was amongst the worst 45 minutes of football I think I've ever seen :lol: Not in terms of us being poor, just in terms of nowt happening. Both teams just passed the ball around and ran around :lol:

Krul and S.Taylor impress me more by the match, both are in incredible form and the latter is really starting to impress me in his performances.

Cabaye was just as solid and looks like he's enjoying himself more and more as each minute goes on.

Best was very very good (although still lacks a brain re:offsides etc.) and Ba's cameo is the best that he's looked. Won a couple of headers, ran around, chased the ball down and a great assist for the winner.

Overall, very happy. Pardew got it all spot on and 7 points out of 9 is more than I expected :thup:

Krul 9, he did everything right and is the reason that we took all 3 points, he deserved a clean sheet because of his shot stopping and started collecting balls out of the air on the edge of his box.  I can't think of anything he did wrong.

Simpson 6, he was iffy at times but wasn't too bad and seemed to be playing higher up the pitch than Obertan for long periods.

S Taylor 7, he did nothing wrong.

Coloccini 8, I can only remember one poor pass during the 90 minutes.  He popped up as centre forward once and also popped up on the right wing, he played the ball out of defence well.

R Taylor 7, did well for a player who is right footed and can't play on the right.

Obertan 6, he doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball once he gets so far up the pitch, I don't know what to make of him yet.

Cabaye 8, played really well and deserved a goal, Nolan who?  Some of his passing was excellent, he sees passes that others don't and he grafts for the full game.

Tiote 5, nowhere near the player of last season, to be fair though, he never hides even when some of his passing was terrible.

Jonas 7, played OK and held the ball up well.  For some reason he doesn't seem to want to give Ryan Taylor the ball when he's in good positions.

Best 7, he hasn't got a clue how to hold his line and never looks.  He doesn't even look along the line as he's offside without defenders stepping out, as thick as Shola as they both give away loads of possession when constantly caught offside.

Lovenkrands 3, did he do anything positive other than coming off?

Ba 5, didn't look too bad.

Vuckic 4, did nothing that I can remember in the limited time he had on the pitch until he seemed to injure his left hand.

Smith -1, seriously, why?

Krul 9, he did everything right and is the reason that we took all 3 points, he deserved a clean sheet because of his shot stopping and started collecting balls out of the air on the edge of his box.  I can't think of anything he did wrong.

Er... :laugh:

Great three points, puts us in a really nice situation. It's a shame that we're probably not going to capitalize on it. With a some investment we could have a great season.

Simpson 6, he was iffy at times but wasn't too bad and seemed to be playing higher up the pitch than Obertan for long periods.

S Taylor 7, he did nothing wrong.

Coloccini 8, I can only remember one poor pass during the 90 minutes.  He popped up as centre forward once and also popped up on the right wing, he played the ball out of defence well.

R Taylor 7, did well for a player who is right footed and can't play on the right.

Obertan 6, he doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball once he gets so far up the pitch, I don't know what to make of him yet.

Cabaye 8, played really well and deserved a goal, Nolan who?  Some of his passing was excellent, he sees passes that others don't and he grafts for the full game.

Tiote 5, nowhere near the player of last season, to be fair though, he never hides even when some of his passing was terrible.

Jonas 7, played OK and held the ball up well.  For some reason he doesn't seem to want to give Ryan Taylor the ball when he's in good positions.

Best 7, he hasn't got a clue how to hold his line and never looks.  He doesn't even look along the line as he's offside without defenders stepping out, as thick as Shola as they both give away loads of possession when constantly caught offside.

Lovenkrands 3, did he do anything positive other than coming off?

Ba 5, didn't look too bad.

Vuckic 4, did nothing that I can remember in the limited time he had on the pitch until he seemed to injure his left hand.

Smith -1, seriously, why?

Did we win 2-0? :lol:

He had a good game, but his positioing cost us the clean sheet.

I didn't have a good view of the goal, was it his fault?  He didn't seem to move much for it but I was in Level 7 so had a side on view.

I didn't have a good view of the goal, was it his fault?  He didn't seem to move much for it but I was in Level 7 so had a side on view.

He just got his positioning wrong, was caught in no-man's land and it looped over him. Easy save if he'd stayed back.

He just got his positioning wrong, was caught in no-man's land and it looped over him. Easy save if he'd stayed back.

OK, he still played well apart from that.

:thup:

He was absolutely brilliant, shot himself in a foot with that one though. Luckily it didn't matter in the end.

Did we win 2-0? :lol:

He had a good game, but his positioing cost us the clean sheet.

I had a crap view of the goal.

Better than me. I was sending a text, looked up and they were all walking back to the centre circle.

Couldn't hear their two fans celebrating :lol:

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I think Pardew nearly cost us that with his subs. Vuckic for Best was daft, Best was full of confidence and we ended up sitting back too much and nearly blobbed it

Sorry but that's utter blox everyone where I was sat was crying out for the change he made. we were being over run in midfield and needed a more positive approach.

Back from the match and have to say we didn't start too bright. Fulham seemed a much fitter team, with better movement and also pressed well.

Good points...

We won and didn't fall apart under pressure at the end.

Team spirit is high.

We played some good passing football but only in small parts. Hopefully this will improve as players get used to each other.

Cabaye played some loverly balls and has a canny shot on him.

S. Taylor was tackling like a man possesed. Some excellent defending from him.

Tim Krull made some excellent saves. My motm.

Bad points...

Tiote is turning in to the new Batty with the number of balls he plays back.

Long ball game remains from the back/keeper.

Obertan needs confidence. Made some goods runs and tackles tracking back. Needs to be more direct when running up front on his own instead of stopping/hesitating.

Ba is no good in the air but got an assist and made some good runs. Did anyone see his ball control when Tiote played the ball down the wing to him? Laughable that was.

Krul 8 - some superb saves. Looks the part, very confident and composed.

Simpson 4 - fucking shite, so many loose touches out of play and complete lack of awareness. Twice he conceded a corner when a simple glance to the right would have allowed him to just let the ball roll out. Positioning is terrible.

S.Taylor 7 - pretty good. Thought it may have been him who lost Dempsey, not so sure though as I was at the other end of the ground.

Coloccini 8 - standard class performance

R.Taylor 7 - not bad, much more impressive than Simpson. Special mention to his little flicked backheel in the Gallowgate/Milburn corner that absolutely merked that little cunt Duff.

Obertan 6.5 - started off anonymous but grew into the game and made some good runs. Needs to take on his man more. Lovely pass to Ba in the build-up to our second goal. Showed a good work rate and covered Simpson's crapness often.

Cabaye 7 - a useful display, battled well and made some nice passes, although did make a few dodgy ones. Wasn't helped by the complete lack of touch from Tiote or Simpson on quite a few occasions.

Tiote 6 - got better as the game went on and did alright, but still absolutely nowhere near the standard he set himself last season. Referee didn't seem to favour him one bit. First twenty minutes or so he was terrible.

Gutierrez 6 - not sure whether he deserves a higher/lower mark but he was a bit of a mixed bag. Usual high work rate and winning of free-kicks.

Best 8 - two goals were well taken, had a stinker in the first half (offside count was about 5 or 6) but got better. Won a lot of headers and held the ball well considering Hangeland was marking him.

Lovenkrands 4 - full of shit. Contributed absolutely nowt, would be genuinely surprised if he had ten touches in the hour he played. Work rate was good but that's all I can say positive.

Subs:

Ba 7 - lively and set up Best's second goal. Hit the woodwork in stoppage time.

Vuckic 6 - ran around a lot, seemed to hurt his finger or something and went off again

Smith n/a - came on for Vuckic, didn't do a lot wrong but we conceded nearly immediately after he was introduced :lol:

-----

Few words - firstly the warm up was really unconvincing. Loose passing, over-hit balls, and Sammy missed about 10 shots in a row before finally putting one in.

The referee was giving Fulham a lot of soft free-kicks and allowed one of their players to throw the ball away without a booking. He was a bit of a cunt, would rate him at about 5/10. Linesmen were a bit better than of late.

I think Pardew nearly cost us that with his subs. Vuckic for Best was daft, Best was full of confidence and we ended up sitting back too much and nearly blobbed it

Vuckic was only on the pitch for 7 minutes tbf :lol: