Newcastle United 2 - 1 Fulham - 28/08/11 - post-match reaction from page 48

Dave

Massive 3 pointer!

Cabaye was class, so was Krul.

Saylor is excellent atm, very happy that he is "there". His concentration is much better.

:celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

HOWAY THE LADS!

"Aye, Tiote, concentrate on THIS."

great result. pleased for best and i hope this gives him confidence, he's not the answer though, slow and ponderous. we were slow and ponderous in general going forward, just no real conviction or cohesion to our attacking play. thought we were solid ish at the back but 3 free headers in the second half tells its own story.

Tiote though, wtf is going on with him? Slow, negative and a liability. Thank god for that release clause in Cabaye's contract.

Well done to Saylor who continues to prove me wrong this season.

We're in desperate need of a fit and firing Ben Arfa.

Excellent 3 points, and I have to say it was very disappointing not to keep that clean sheet.

Krul - 8 - Very good today, especially that last catch he made. Could have maybe saved c*** Dempsey's header?

Simpson - 6 - Awful defender. Better going forward today.

S Taylor - 8 - Excellent today, apart from knocking Tiote out. Swept everything up.

Coloccini - 6 - At fault for the goal imo. Not his best day, but still solid enough.

R Taylor - 6 - Not bad.

Gutierrez - 7 - Consistent is the word. Gets a 10 for the effort he put in the last 10 minutes. Anonymous in the first half.

Tiote - 6 - Good thing he wasn't booked early on, as he could have been off today. Off the boil. Got better 2nd half.

Cabaye - 8 - Here, there, every f***ing where!!! Again!!

Obertan - 7 - Best right wing play seen at SJP for a few years now. Intelligent at times with the ball. Not so, off it.

Lovenkrands - 4 - Surely there's no place for him in a PL squad let alone a starting 11?

Best - 9 - MOTM. Won quite a few headers and was very strong. Excellent take and finish for his 2nd.

Ba - 7 - Good outing. His best so far.

Smith   :facepalm:

Happy enough with the win. Pardew got his subs right. Very disappointed with the injury to Vuckic!!! Was really looking forward to seeing him strut his stuff towards the end there.

7 points from 3 games is a very good haul. Bring on QPR.

Baffled by the ratings some are giving out.

If Lovenkrands did enough to get a 6, surely that means he had an above average game? Average out of 10 is a 5, you know?

2 or a 3 would be nearer the mark. Did nothing at all, was well below average. No way should anyone be giving him a 6, or even a 5.

For me it's nearer this:

Krul: 7 - Did some very good stuff, but fluffed his positioning for the goal. Overall, very impressive though.

Ryan Taylor: 5 - Torrid first 30 mins, recovered to do OK and didn't look too bad.

Steven Taylor: 7 - Very good game. Did well.

Coloccini: 6 - Decent, another good game.

Simpson: 5 - Crap tackle for the foul in the buildup to the goal marred anotherwise decent enough performance.

Jonas: 5 - Had an alright game, but he never really ran at his man or looked especially threatening on more than a handful of occasions.

Cabaye: 7 - Pick of the midfield, looked composed and classy.

Tiote: 4 - Ran round a lot and kicked people. Tidy passing though, but passes lacked penetration.

Obertan: 4 - Not impressing me massively yet. Looks like he's got pace, but not sure he knows how to use it. Very rarely managed to beat his man and often looked like he didn't know how he was even going to try to.

Best: 7 - More I see of him, the more I like him. Definitely our best (haha) striker at the moment

Lovenkrands: 2 - Forgot he was playing. Shouldn't in future get another chance to be that anonymous ever again.

Subs:

Ba: 6 - Looked tidy and did far more in 30 minutes than Lovenkrands did in 60.

Vuckic: Not on long enough for a rating but looked promising. Hope he gets more pitch time.

Smith: 1 - Despite his best efforts, we clung on.

I thought we played quite well for large periods of the game. We passed it about a lot better, took control of the game and showed some great retention and paitience towards the end of the first half in particular. We lacked a bit of potency and shape at times but we didn't hoof and that was key for me. Got the creative foundations in place with Cabaye, we just need to get a left back, tweak our shape a tiny bit and get Ba back to his old form and we're looking good. Very encouraging.

i'm a jonas fan but he's probably less important now than he was last season. He doesn't have great end product or a track record of consistently being a threat, but it didn't matter last season as we had Nolan and Barton who were both excellent in this regard. Yet those two weren't the most mobile, so it was fortunate that we had such a strong runner as Jonas who could take up their slack.

Now we have almost the opposite - good mobile players who eat up ground in Obertan and Cabaye, but not a huge amount of end product. Means there's less of a pressing need for him to utilise movement and more pressure on him to deliver something.

I think Jonas is still playing a little deeper than usual due to Ryan Taylor being left back. He's normally good on the defensive side anyway but he seems that extra bit cautious to me. He'll be more involved when he plays a few yards further up imo.

:thup: that's right. Covered a huge amount of grass to get into the LB position at times today.

Btw Fulham played a really effective pressing, counter-attacking game today. Be pretty disappointed by the result if I were them. If it wasn't for Krul they'd have probably won the game.

Guest CheickMansour

I think Jonas is still playing a little deeper than usual due to Ryan Taylor being left back. He's normally good on the defensive side anyway but he seems that extra bit cautious to me. He'll be more involved when he plays a few yards further up imo.

Yep, good analysis. I agree that we'll see more of Jonas when he has a proper LB behind him.

Btw Fulham played a really effective pressing, counter-attacking game today. Be pretty disappointed by the result if I were them. If it wasn't for Krul they'd have probably won the game.

They started brightly, but from 20 minutes to 80 I thought they were pretty crap. They only came back into it when we took our foot off the pedal.

NO GIVE SHIT!

:lol:

Touché.

thing is in their real period of dominance in the 1st half they created sweet fuck all chance wise