Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I'm 30 and I struggled to think of 3 better LBs in my lifetime as well TBH. Our fullbacks have generally been terrible.

Bernard, Elliot and Beresford were the 3 in my mind, feel free to disagree. I do agree outside of those 3, Enrique and Santon they have been terrible.

Bernard was the best, don't rate either of the other two. Even Bernard looked slightly better because of the shite we were used to seeing IMO.

Anyway, Santon has the potential to be very good indeed.

I'm 30 and I struggled to think of 3 better LBs in my lifetime as well TBH. Our fullbacks have generally been terrible.

Bernard, Elliot and Beresford were the 3 in my mind, feel free to disagree. I do agree outside of those 3, Enrique and Santon they have been terrible.

Are you talking about Robbie Elliot(Robert James Elliot)?? As i remember he played mostly as a backup, he had maybe one or two seasons as a first choice left back. Even young Peter Ramage took his place at the end...

Are you talking about Robbie Elliot(Robert James Elliot)?? As i remember he played mostly as a backup, he had maybe one or two seasons as a first choice left back. Even young Peter Ramage took his place at the end...

Elliot in his first spell with us was quality. That injury at Bolton ruined him.

Dalglish should also never have sold him, Watson and Clark.

Bernard was the best, don't rate either of the other two. Even Bernard looked slightly better because of the s**** we were used to seeing IMO.

Anyway, Santon has the potential to be very good indeed.

Agree with that and yes Santon does  :D

So did Enrique,in the top flight anyway.

Elliot in his first spell with us was quality. That injury at Bolton ruined him.

Dalglish should also never have sold him, Watson and Clark.

Yes.

Guest firetotheworks

Enrique is the best LB I've seen at Newcastle, but he was far from faultless and he's long gone. Santon certainly has the potential to be better and he's already better going forward imo.

Personally think Jose and Bernard were miles ahead of Santon, as it stands. Some seriously selective memories as far as Enrique is concerned.

:thup:

Santon has huge potential and has put in some very good displays but there's no way he's looked better than Jose did for me. Our rigid system probably helped him and he did have great support from Jonas and Coloccini but he was beaten something like 6-7* times in the 2011-2012 season, he was just too powerful.

Santon is no where near as careless on the ball as Jose was like.

*The stats are somewhere, the next best was Ashley Cole I think with 20+

Guest firetotheworks

The only player that I ever remember absolutely doing him for skill was Sturridge whilst at Bolton. The skill that he used was fucking class as well iirc.

Adam Johnson schooled him as well, but his weakness was always turning at speed in defence. In a straight line or a clear race he barely ever lost out.

When he shows players to the outside he rarely loses due to his pace and strength. Speedy players cutting in would be his mare.

Enrique's long passing was exceptional at times. The Blackburn away game is probably heralded as his best (certainly where passing is concerned), but I always thought it was excellent. He could get such a brilliant whip on the ball. Short-passing was probably the weakest part of his game because he was often careless in possession around the half-way line. He was a fucking brilliant player though, I absolutely loved him. Would still have him back tbh, imagine the depth we'd have then :cheesy:.

That being said, I'm very curious about Haidara. Got to say that, of all the positions we covered in January, I'd have bet nothing on us getting another left-back.