Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I expect De Ceglie will be competition in the future, and from their perspective will be first choice as i can see them wanting to nail down as close to an all Juve back line as possible;

De Ceglie                                        Santon

Barzagli Chiellini Bonucci

Could be more likely.

Has Criscito been called up since moving to Russia even? Im glad Abate didnt go there like  :aww:

I never imagine I would say this but now I am glad Jose left us or else we couldn't pick this gem up.

I think Santon is still a fair way off, the level Jose was at in his last season with us. His rate of improvement is so encouraging though. Hes destined to be a top fullback, once he begins to position himself better defensively.

Jose was only that good defensively because Jonas was holding his hand every game, just look at him since leaving and having no such help he doesn't even look 5% of the same player.

Complete rubbish. Do you even watch their games?

Liverpool? more often than not yes and Enrique is a shadow of his former self defensively, offensively he has improved though.

Jose was only that good defensively because Jonas was holding his hand every game, just look at him since leaving and having no such help he doesn't even look 5% of the same player.

Turd is that like.

It'd be great if he could develop his ability to cross with his left foot. At the moment, defenders can shepherd him down the outside without too much worry about the consequences.

He has said that with the arrival of Debuchy he will dedicate time to improving his crossing with his left foot as he knows now he will be on the left side for the foreseeable future. He did ping across one very good ball into the box with his left in the second half against Chelsea. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love how Jonas is seen as some kind of selfless super hero to our fullbacks.

Jose was an excellent full back for us, with Jonas he dad good partner but that was more down the the excellent link up play between the 2. Everything went down our left side back then.

Jose's biggest problem was his lapses in concentration in and around our box.

If Jonas was holding Jose's hand defensively, Jonas has been coddling Davide.

Aye Jonas was certainly coddling him on saturday in arguably his best ever performance.

Defensively, can you name me a game where he's played well without Jonas on the pitch?

Champions league vs Real Madrid. Seriously though it becomes pretty hard to remember specific games and who played etc. Particularly when talking about 2 of our sides most ever-present players. I'd rather just go off what I have seen recently of Davide irrespective of who is playing in front of him.

Kudos to you if you can remember his specific performances without Jonas in front of him, but any comparison you may wish to embark upon is ultimately going to need to address who was actually playing in front of him as well as who was he up against.

At times he is a good defender. At times he doesn't concentrate enough and can be a little lazy getting back. At times he is a bad defender. At the moment he is playing well and has considerable potential.

EDIT: What I can say without a shadow of a doubt is I have seen some very good defensive play from him that is entirely independent of whether or not Jonas is on the pitch.

If Jonas was holding Jose's hand defensively, Jonas has been coddling Davide.

Aye Jonas was certainly coddling him on saturday in arguably his best ever performance.

Defensively, can you name me a game where he's played well without Jonas on the pitch?

You think he was poor defensively on Saturday? don't remember many occasions where he was caught out....

As i have said before Santon has played well with Jonas and poorly with Jonas and same goes without Jonas.

I don't agree he needs Jonas by his side to perform, if anything without Jonas he is let off his leash and links up better and is more of an offensive threat.

He was bad in the Christmas and New Year period definitely, but that was more to do with mental and physical fatigue than lack of Jonas.

Jose was great for us don't get me wrong but i don't think he was as good as made out, for one he came in a period where were nothing short of a joke and struggled to replace quality players that had left.

A lot like Tiote really, his performances resulted in hyberbole because unlike recent players in their position they wasn't terrible in fact they was very good but not great.

I see a lot saying he's the best LB for us in recent memory which i simply can't agree with i'm only 23 and i can think of 3 better LBs in my life time.

I'm 30 and I struggled to think of 3 better LBs in my lifetime as well TBH. Our fullbacks have generally been terrible.

Bernard, Elliot and Beresford were the 3 in my mind, feel free to disagree. I do agree outside of those 3, Enrique and Santon they have been terrible.

I do think you have to watch a few Liverpool matches this season when Jose is their left back. He is really having a mare defensively. Whether it is due to regression or lack of Jonas is debatable though.

Davide is a very good defender BUT extremely lack of experience.  He is very talented.  Probably the best under 21 left back in the world.

I'm 30 and I struggled to think of 3 better LBs in my lifetime as well TBH. Our fullbacks have generally been terrible.

Bernard, Elliot and Beresford were the 3 in my mind, feel free to disagree. I do agree outside of those 3, Enrique and Santon they have been terrible.

Rubbish again.