Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

We lose to Spurs, so now we are selling Santon?

f*** off man, get a grip.

The Spurs result has nothing to do with it - Mourinho was happy to part with Santon and I can see why although he had far more choice than we have.

F--- off yourself - a pity you can't enter a debate with out resorting to that sort of crap....

Use it again and that will be the last time I bother to respond to your posts because it aint worth it.

We lose to Spurs, so now we are selling Santon?

f*** off man, get a grip.

The Spurs result has nothing to do with it - Mourinho was happy to part with Santon and I can see why although he had far more choice than we have.

F--- off yourself - a pity you can't enter a debate with out resorting to that sort of crap....

Use it again and that will be the last time I bother to respond to your posts because it aint worth it.

Wew..

Not sure what difference it makes what footed he is. If he was at right-back they'd just show him inside so he'd have the exact same issues. Having the ability to cut inside and lay it off or have a shot is just as effective as getting to the byline and crossing it.

I know what you are saying but it often means he is cutting back into the busiest part of the pitch.  For example, when we had that great opportunity to break yesterday instead of just bombing on to shoot with his left foot or getting to the touchline to cross, he tried to cut in and had 3 spurs players around him and lost the ball. All because he doesn't trust his left foot at all.

Fully agree. As a wide man it's always nice when you know... you can go wide. HBA is left footed and when on the RW likes to cut in but he has the ability to go wide and clip it into the box e.g. Cab's goals against S'land & L'pool came from that move.

With Santon he's cutting in 100% of the time. As a LB is better to always going wide and thus creating space and stretching the play, than always going central.

Not sure what difference it makes what footed he is. If he was at right-back they'd just show him inside so he'd have the exact same issues. Having the ability to cut inside and lay it off or have a shot is just as effective as getting to the byline and crossing it.

I know what you are saying but it often means he is cutting back into the busiest part of the pitch.  For example, when we had that great opportunity to break yesterday instead of just bombing on to shoot with his left foot or getting to the touchline to cross, he tried to cut in and had 3 spurs players around him and lost the ball. All because he doesn't trust his left foot at all.

Fully agree. As a wide man it's always nice when you know... you can go wide. HBA is left footed and when on the RW likes to cut in but he has the ability to go wide and clip it into the box e.g. Cab's goals against S'land & L'pool came from that move.

With Santon he's cutting in 100% of the time. As a LB is better to always going wide and thus creating space and stretching the play, than always going central.

:thup:

Means teams don't have to worry about the overlap from Santon too, because if he does overlap he then has to try and take a man on, while Baines or Evra will bang it in with quality first time, so someone always has to be wary of them.

:thup:

Means teams don't have to worry about the overlap from Santon too, because if he does overlap he then has to try and take a man on, while Baines or Evra will bang it in with quality first time, so someone always has to be wary of them.

He often properly tries to take them on too. I've seen Young, cut back on his right foot whilst being on the left, push the ball out a bit and whip it in a lot. Not so much trying to go past his man but just creating space for a cross. With davide it's like he wants to run into the box a lot of the time.

Based on what? Mourinho give him plenty of gametime. It was only when Benitez came in he slipped down the pecking order and was loaned out to Cesena.

I saw Kyle Walker at one point cutting inside at pretty much the half way line and getting nowhere. Santon needs to work on his left foot absolutely but his ability to squeeze through and get into brilliant positions in the box is great. I don't agree that he's necessarily all that predictable, albeit defenders can be sure he probably won't get a yard and belt a great ball past them he can run down the line and then beat them 1v1 and run into the box to square the ball, or can cut inside earlier and get a shot or a cross away with his right foot.

Is it better to have a LB that only have a left foot that only can threaten with crosses after been running the sideline?

Santon would be even better if he would have a left foot. But he is still so good that it doesn´t really matter for me. If this was FM he would never leave this club :)

Is it better to have a LB that only have a left foot that only can threaten with crosses after been running the sideline?

Santon would be even better if he would have a left foot. But he is still so good that it doesn´t really matter for me. If this was FM he would never leave this club :)

Yes it is better for a LB to be purely left footed. Baines is all left, Cole is all left. They can still go in the box and take shots. They can get to the edge of the six yard box and cut the ball back.

They're just unlikely to cut in and have a shot from outside the box. The only defender that does that to any effect is Glen Johnson, cuts on his left to shoot a lot.

The potential is there but yeah, don't like the lack of left.

He's nowhere near yet. Plenty young enough to become "so good" but he's pretty damned poor defensively, which is after all, his main job as a left back.

He's nowhere near yet. Plenty young enough to become "so good" but he's pretty damned poor defensively, which is after all, his main job as a left back.

In the Danny Simpson thread people where saying it's 50/50 as a fullback apparently.

Santon offers width, he doesn't offer consistent end product and attacking threat.

There's a difference between the two, anyway there's no genuine proof that getting down the by line and knocking a cross in is any more effective than cutting inside and playing a pass across the box.

He does need to improve his left foot to give himself an alternative option but its nowhere near as needed as made out, i mean Enrique was able to get down the by line and put a cross in and he hardly ever created anything.

Debuchy is all right foot on the opposite side, yet its Santon who has created more goalscoring opportunities since he arrived.

Also everyone talks about Evra, Baines etc etc.... who where they at 22? exactly.

The width he creates gets wasted coming central.

Baines best move is actually on the inside between defenders like he did against us, you can still do that on your proper side.

Yes he does need to develop a left-foot. Should practice every day in training.

Debuchy's put in at least 3 great balls that someone should've scored in 3-4 games. I'm talking 1-1 vs. keeper opportunities, not Sissokho scoring half chances.

Nobody is saying he's shit. People are saying he's already an excellent player. He's not. He's an excellent prospect but needs a lot of work to be the final product.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Might be giggs but...

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/804485_10200650670568770_768942026_n.jpg?oh=59f0fb75b4b5428968315ccb1bae6929&oe=511B2542&__gda__=1360762480_28ef8d64d2354a9cc0605a1c92eeaffc

:smitten: