Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Was a striker as a kid and it shows, superb going forward, bit dodgy defensively.  Might try and dig the interview up but he said Mourniho stuck him at left back when he was 18 or so and he had never played there before!

Have to agree with others, I'd like to see him at right back and I reckon we will at the start of next season.

Guest icemanblue

I'm sure that, in earlier versions of FM, he was always a right/left back. This was before Mourinho went there. Might be wrong, but I'm sure I always used to sign him. Proper wonderkid.

Come to think of it, in one game I had him, Cabaye, Marveaux and Ba. Cissokho too, which might still happen.

He said: “Of course I look up to Paolo Maldini as a defender – but I have always liked to attack.

“Until I was 18, I used to play up front.

“It was only when Jose Mourinho asked me to move back into defence I started to play there and moved back into defence.

“He took the decision to do it because the defence was not playing well during that period.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/15/santon-has-sights-on-being-a-success-at-nufc-79310-30123616/

Definitely an attacking fullback but I'm not too concerned about his defending at the moment. His pace is a big help.

Against Man Utd he was a beast with his positioning. I'm sure in time he will get that consistency.

He has always been better at home, which makes me think it is more an issue of confidence.

Has to move to the right next season as cutting inside every time he goes forward will be quickly identified by other teams as they study him.

I like him but he's very one footed.

He's comfortable at LB, just think he'll be even better on the right.

Has to move to the right next season as cutting inside every time he goes forward will be quickly identified by other teams as they study him.

I like him but he's very one footed.

He's comfortable at LB, just think he'll be even better on the right.

Agree, just think he'll be a bit more of a known quantity next season in attacking terms.

Seems really reluctant to shoot. A few times every game he cuts inside and has an opportunity from 25 to 30 yards out, to be fair he did have a dig once today but if he can work on it it could create opportunities with knock downs etc plus the odd goal for himself.

Seems really reluctant to shoot. A few times every game he cuts inside and has an opportunity from 25 to 30 yards out, to be fair he did have a dig once today but if he can work on it it could create opportunities with knock downs etc plus the odd goal for himself.

As if he needs to shoot some people really wants miracles.... dont forget he is only 20... he will be massive in his second season.....

Guest VaVaVoom

The boy has ability and i actuakky think defensively he was decent today. Few good tackles and interceptions. It was his forward play that annoyed me.

Not offering an overlap sometimes, cutting inside and NOT crossing or shooting. I wouldnt mind him cutting in if he delivered but he doesnt.

Needs to be RB on the 1st day of next season to get the best out of him.

As if he needs to shoot some people really wants miracles.... dont forget he is only 20... he will be massive in his second season.....

I don't expect the lad to ping it in the top corner every other week, was just commenting on his shy-ness.

Guest frazernufc

as much as id love to see him RB, id leave him at LB for now so Colo can atleast keep position when were exposed from his attacking runs