Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

He's not going to improve in a struggling team. Hasn't been in this position at this level before so think whether he has the mental strength for a relegation fight is a doubt too. Never thought I would say this but wish we had Raylor fit to share the LB position.

Guest firetotheworks

Can Lahm genuinely not kick with his left foot, like Santon?

He's extremely one-footed. Not Downing level, but still very one-footed.

I would say Downing's very competent with his right foot, scored a lot of great goals with it.

Do you think left footers at right back and vice versa should be the standard? Lahm and Maldini are two of the greatest players of all time at full back (both sides and it's not fair to hold them up as par. They're clearly the exceptions rather than the rule, otherwise 99.9% of full backs in football history have played out of position.

I think it's most important to play players where they're most effective to the team and I think that usually corresponds to the position that they're most comfortable in. Especially at an early age, or when new to a league.

The verdict is still out on Santon, regardless of his best position. He's said himself that he prefers left back, so I'd let him get better there, where he feels more comfortable and we have less cover.

I don't think it's essential for players to have their strongest foot match their position, it's often an advantage to invert when dealing with wide forwards that are inverted too.

Santon's weakness is that his left foot is non-existent and I think that can be extremely exploitable if you don't have an attribute (pace, tackling, positioning, or cover from others) to make it redundant.

To get to the point, I'd keep Santon there and let him develop.

Downing has not scored 'a lot' of 'great' goals  :lol: May have scored a fair few pretty damn good ones, but think too many goals are described as 'great' these days  :lol: (probably guilty of it too in spur of moment)

Feel for Santon, should be on the scoresheet this season, has had a fair few decent efforts on goal

Another factor with Santon is that we usually have 2 right footed players playing out on the left, that isn't his fault. I don't think his inability to swing in a decent ball would look any where near as bad if we had a genuine left winger ahead of him. As it is we have 2 players running up the wing then slowing to a near halt as they look to find a way inside.

If we get Haidara and he can handle PL now, I hope Davide get some games in a more offensive role. Even though he can't cross to save his life, he is great 1v1, and he might be defensive enough for Pardew as well, so Jonas could be benched.

If we get Haidara and he can handle PL now, I hope Davide get some games in a more offensive role. Even though he can't cross to save his life, he is great 1v1, and he might be defensive enough for Pardew as well, so Jonas could be benched.

He would be a much better option than Jonas further up the wing, that's for sure. I really hope we are bringing the other lad in just for competition and not replacement as would be good to have a options in both full back positions with Santon capable of playing both sides if issues with Debuchy. Totally the end of Simpson, be surprised if he is here at end of month like.

He needs to start cutting in earlier if I'm honest. He tends to get sussed out easiest when he runs down the left, tries to cut in then gets tackled. His best runs seem to be when he's in a diagonal and there is some overlapping or movement (some...little...:lol:) in front of him for him to open up for a shot or pass. He's got a pretty good right  foot on him too.

He would be a much better option than Jonas further up the wing, that's for sure. I really hope we are bringing the other lad in just for competition and not replacement as would be good to have a options in both full back positions with Santon capable of playing both sides if issues with Debuchy. Totally the end of Simpson, be surprised if he is here at end of month like.

:frantic:

Still a promising but raw talent. Potential is obviously there but his form has dipped unsurprisingly since he's been playing alongside weaker players. Think he'll be an excellent full back in time just like Enrique. Maybe just needs more time.

Good attacker, utterly hopeless at defending unless with ultra cover.  Ball watcher.

he's a good defender but he needs cover/support for when he's pushed up.

i think the couple of occasions recently of him getting caught out with the ball inside him are naivety.

Good attacker, utterly hopeless at defending unless with ultra cover.  Ball watcher.

he's a good defender but he needs cover/support for when he's pushed up.

i think the couple of occasions recently of him getting caught out with the ball inside him are naivety.

I think personally he's just on the wrong side, hinders him going forward and defensively.  Imo would make a blinding right fullback or potentially as he's so good going forward a right winger.  Just cause he's played at leftback for us and in the end for inter doesn't mean hes a full back, he was a left winger when Mourinho converted him to a leftback.

I thought he looked more like his old self yesterday. Still can't cross from wide positions but he brought the ball forward well and linked well with the midfield when he cut  inside, especially in the first half.

He's a great player and in 10 or 15 years when he becomes the new Maldini or Facchetti, with 200 or 300 Inter games under his belt, in that moment I'll remember his debut," Mourinho says.

"In my view Santon is a right-back who can also play in midfield, ­principally in the position currently taken by Javier Zanetti. His versatility will be very important in his career. For example, Beppe Bergomi played as a centre-back, on the right or left and now Zanetti can play pretty much anywhere. All this is because they have character and ­confidence".

Mourinho on Santon. Probably been posted before but I just feel its worth reminding ourselves of the potential he still has.

He's a great player and in 10 or 15 years when he becomes the new Maldini or Facchetti, with 200 or 300 Inter games under his belt, in that moment I'll remember his debut," Mourinho says.

"In my view Santon is a right-back who can also play in midfield, ­principally in the position currently taken by Javier Zanetti. His versatility will be very important in his career. For example, Beppe Bergomi played as a centre-back, on the right or left and now Zanetti can play pretty much anywhere. All this is because they have character and ­confidence".

Mourinho on Santon. Probably been posted before but I just feel its worth reminding ourselves of the potential he still has.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29037782.jpg