Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I'd  honestly ease him into the Left wing next season, playing in front of Haidara. Think he is a similar mold to Bale and look how well pushing him further forward turned (I'm in no way saying he's anyway near Bales level just his situation is similar).

Since we have so few wide men I think it would be the best option, then if 12 months down the line there's no signs of improvement then maybe get rid if the price is right!

God Almighty.

Get off the fence Ron.

Guest firetotheworks

I've never known a player be suggested for so many crazy positions. He's a left back, man. Whether he's right footed, skillful, liable to a defensive shocker or not, he's a left back.

I like him as a full back. Bit of coaching and he's more than good enough for us. His problem has been, on many occasions, the sheer lack of options ahead of him and the fact he's very obviously been told to restrict his attacking tendencies.

Agree with this - he has definitely made his fair share of mistakes, but there's definitely a very good defender in there.

I'd  honestly ease him into the Left wing next season, playing in front of Haidara. Think he is a similar mold to Bale and look how well pushing him further forward turned (I'm in no way saying he's anyway near Bales level just his situation is similar).

Since we have so few wide men I think it would be the best option, then if 12 months down the line there's no signs of improvement then maybe get rid if the price is right!

God Almighty.

:lol:

God Almighty.

Really don't see what's so ridiculous. His attacking is better than his defense, therefore play him in a more attacking position? At least give him a run out there on pre-season.

Happens all the time in football!

God Almighty.

Really don't see what's so ridiculous. His attacking is better than his defense, therefore play him in a more attacking position? At least give him a run out there on pre-season.

What happens all the time on here is people forget the philosophy that made us an established PL contender in the first place and allow themselves to be easily led by Alan Pardew. Defenders on the wing, shithouses like Alsoran on the wing, 2 CMs who're about as dangerous as bubble bath in the final third.

Urgh. Get out. You people.

God Almighty.

What happens all the time on here is people forget the philosophy that made us an established PL contender in the first place and allow themselves to be easily led by Alan Pardew. Defenders on the wing, shithouses like Alsoran on the wing, 2 CMs who're about as dangerous as bubble bath in the final third.

He's only saying try it for a few games in friendlies, not exactly adhering to the entire Pardew mindset.

God Almighty.

Yeah changing a players position to fit their attributes or balance the side is a "Pardew mind set", I'm sure your Mourinho's and Fergie's would do that your right....

If we want a player who'll run into blind alleys all day long and hit 4 decent crosses a season on the wing we might as well bring back Jonas.

Oh he'll be back. Will probably start the season in the first team. No doubt.

I said last summer that Santon is a hopeless defender and that the best he's going to be for us is a Jonas style midfielder, people didn't like it. I don't really think the midfielder thing is worth it if there are clubs willing to pay money for him, but he's a horrible LB, he hasn't got the mental game and never will IMO.

He's just not a left back.

Should be converted to right back. His career is being destroyed by trying to play him at left back. He just becomes Jonas as soon as he gets in the opposition half. Wide players should be played on their natural sides, with the sole exception of auxiliary forwards supporting a lone striker.

Right back for Santon, but he started as a right winger so maybe he could play there too. Not suggesting he'd immediately start pulling up trees at right back because he needs time to settle into it and re-learn that role, but we simply cannot play him on the left as he'll never improve one bit there and offers nothing at all going forward, which is half of a modern fullback's game.

Changing him to right back might solve the issue of him using his preferred foot but I highly doubt it's going to solve the fundamental flaws he has in his game, positioning, tackling, and end product when he is forward.

He's a dud IMO, never looked overly impressive even in his best patches of form, Haidara should be first choice from what I've seen, Dummett is turboshit aswell.