Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

I'm quite happy with our striking options. Assuming we hold on to Ba and Cisse, I'm very happy with Shola and Best as backup. We need to let go Ranger and Lovenkrands and either put a youth striker up in to that 5th striker standby role or buy a young decent forward who is prepared to wait for his moment and grab sub appearances across next season.

For me our money needs to be put in to the defence mostly with a centre back and a right back. With what we have left I'd like another Ben Arfa type winger (of that ilk, I know he's incredibly rare and talented!) that can possibly jump in to that left or right side of a 4-3-3. Marveaux is probably that player, but can he really stay fit for enough games of the league, cups and Europe? I'm hoping Sammy Ameobi can fill that role but we need another with more experience.

I hope we keep hold of Guthrie and Gosling, think they are fine to be our next in line for midfield and I'm hoping with more games for us to play in next season they can see that they will get more game time.

Has Klasnic been mentioned/discussed? He's 32 but he's free and doesn't seem to mind sitting on the bench despite being better than that. Could be handy if we're selling Best.

There is absolutely no reason for us to sign him. If we are signing a striker to sit on the bench I rather see he's 22 and not 32.

See, i don't get this. Klasnic has proven he could come off the bench and score goals.

:thup:

Guest MrSundlofer

On a 1-2 year deal he'd be ideal. Would get a fair share of appearances, would be hungry to prove himself in his last chance at the highest level...think Sibierski but even better.

But we're not in that position anymore. We don't need to do any desperate and offer a 1-2 year contract to a 32 years old player. We have a successful transfer policy in the club and we are signing relative young players and are offering them 4-5 year contracts. That's what we do now. That's why I don't think Klasnic is a realistic transfer target.

And I agree everything you are saying about him.. just don't think he's anything for us.

On a 1-2 year deal he'd be ideal. Would get a fair share of appearances, would be hungry to prove himself in his last chance at the highest level...think Sibierski but even better.

But we're not in that position anymore. We don't need to do any desperate and offer a 1-2 year contract to a 32 years old player. We have a successful transfer policy in the club and we are signing relative young players and are offering them 4-5 year contracts. That's what we do now. That's why I don't think Klasnic is a realistic transfer target.

And I agree everything you are saying about him.. just don't think he's anything for us.

Said it a year ago that Chung-Young Lee of Bolton would be a great signing. At the time others agreed but believed our status at that time couldn't attract such a promising up and coming talent from a rival Premier League club.

A lot has changed since then. He then suffered a broken leg, missed the whole season and Bolton got relegated. We could easily attract him now as they're in the Championship and we're in the Europa. He'd also be available on the cheap and is still relatively young, both of which tie in with the club's recruitment policy of trying to get value for money and resale value. Despite the addition of Marveaux next season, another exciting wide player with end product would be more than welcome, and let's not forget that with the Europa League we need a bigger squad. I think he's a hardworking player with lots of end product who would fit in with our squad nicely.

What young striker of any quality though will want to come here to warm the bench? I know our transfer policy has changed but I doubt the likes of Klasnic and Yakubu would be on monumental wages, it's just we're not going to see Geremi, Viduka, Smith, etc style contracts any more. I'd much rather one of the two I mentioned who you know what you'll get for a year or so and spend our money properly on weaker areas.

He's also way too lazy for us.

i'd love Ki Sung-Yueng as well but not sure we could prise him away....think he was voted their player of the year?

Don't think so. Was pretty good this season though.

Obviously I would be happy with either of the two. They would both be almost ideal for us, as Lee's natural position is as an inside forward in the 4-3-3 and Ki is almost ideal in a three man midfield with Cabaye and Tiote.

They're also both from my local club and I watched them since they were coming up from the youth team. Seeing them play for Newcastle would be, as I've mentioned numerous times already, a wet dream.

Guest magpie99

So, realistically, who is out, who will come in, how much do we have to spend

From my point of view, I think the following will happen:

OUT:

Forster to Celtic - 2 million

Simpson to lower/mid table team - 3 million

Guthrie - same as Simpson - Free

Smith - Leeds? - Free

Harper - will retire and coach in the academy

Lovenkrands - Rangers/Denmark - Free

Ranger - Sheff.Wed.? - 1 million

Xisco - Hopefully to Spain - Free

That would be 6 million in plus about 200K per week salary savings.

Also, I believe Liverpool still have to pay is 5 million to finalise the Carroll transfer this summer so that would bring the total up to 11 million.

I doubt Ashley will give us anymore than an additional 10 million to add to that so let us round off the transfer kitty at 20 million pounds.

INCOMING

Amalifitano from Reims - Free

Clyne from Palace - 2 million (set by tribunal)

Moses from Wigan - 4 million

Douglas from Twente - 4 million

Rodriguez from Burnley - 4 million

Pieters from PSV - 5 million

Young keeper from lower leagues for 1 million

The likes of Tavernier, Vuckic, Abeid, Ferguson and Sameobi will play more prominent roles in the senior side next season and Jak Alnwick will be prmoted to the senior squad too.

Richardson, Inman and Streete to be loaned out for the season.

I do not expect any major players to leave. I dont think PSG want Ba and I feel they are the only team he would leave for. Tiote will refuse to go and Pardew will fight tooth and nail to keep him.

So, the squad for next season:

Keepers: Krul, Elliott, Alnwick, New Keeper

Defence: Clyne, Tavernier, Santon, Raylor, Saylor, Douglas, Williamson, Colocinni, Pieters, Perch

Midfield: Obertan, Gosling, Tiote, Abeid, Vuckic, Cabaye, Marveaux, Ferguson, Sameobi, Amalifitano

Forwards: Cisse, Ba, Ben Arfa, Moses, Rodriguez, Shola

One final point. I notice that Reading have apparently offered 2.5 million today for Matt Phillips. Given the opportunity, I would love to see him at NUFC and sell Obertan for a similar amount back to a team in France

Too right. I don't think that 'tactic' - by which i mean a smokescreen - is really in our transfer policy. We seem a bit more ruthless and under the carpet than that. As Carver said on the phone-in, they have a shortlist of players, then tick them off as we fail with one target and move onto the next. It's why i'll always be a bit suspicious of Pardew when he says things like "he was my first choice all along." We wouldn't have signed Maiga and Cisse.

Not that i'm complaining.

Really don't think that failed medical was completely legit like.

Sounds to me like we found out about the possibility of signing Cissé while we were in the process of doing the Maiga deal and pulled out. Beforehand we'd been priced out.