Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Really don't think that failed medical was completely legit like.

Sounds to me like we found out about the possibility of signing Cissé while we were in the process of doing the Maiga deal and pulled out. Beforehand we'd been priced out.

pretty sure that his "people" would have had us in court etc if we'd lied over his failing a medical.

Too right. I don't think that 'tactic' - by which i mean a smokescreen - is really in our transfer policy. We seem a bit more ruthless and under the carpet than that. As Carver said on the phone-in, they have a shortlist of players, then tick them off as we fail with one target and move onto the next. It's why i'll always be a bit suspicious of Pardew when he says things like "he was my first choice all along." We wouldn't have signed Maiga and Cisse.

Not that i'm complaining.

cisse was priced out of our range last summer would be my guess. next target erdinc or maiga.

Guest Shaun

Sounds to me like we found out about the possibility of signing Cissé while we were in the process of doing the Maiga deal and pulled out. Beforehand we'd been priced out.

Aye, paying for doctors to give false medicals is common practice I hear.

Aye, paying for doctors to give false medicals is common practice I hear.

Surely a medical is subjective to some degree though?

Yeah because everything that goes on in football is legit and totally above board.

Maiga deal falls through amid confusion from his party, only for us to then sign our first choice immediately after. Far too perfect.

Medicals are largely subjective anyway. Ba failed one at Stoke but passed at West Ham and here.

I think rather than failing or passing a medical, a doctor files a report with the manager who makes his decision based on it. So the doctors could have said the same thing about Ba but Pulis (foolishly it turns out) didn't think it worth the risk while our hierarchy did.

Guest Shaun

Medicals are largely subjective anyway. Ba failed one at Stoke but passed at West Ham and here.

Ba was free. Maiga was 7m(?)

So, realistically, who is out, who will come in, how much do we have to spend

From my point of view, I think the following will happen:

INCOMING

Amalifitano from Reims - Free

Clyne from Palace - 2 million (set by tribunal)

Moses from Wigan - 4 million

Douglas from Twente - 4 million

Rodriguez from Burnley - 4 million

Pieters from PSV - 5 million

Young keeper from lower leagues for 1 million

No way Wigan will let Moses go for £4million, like. That old cunt Whelan is very astute when it comes to selling players. Same for Rodriguez - they'll be wanting £5/6mil+ for him.

Medics are more to do with insurance than anything.

Usually they have all the medical background on the player before the medic.

Just in rare cases a new injury or condition is found.

Maiga was a case where we used a old injury to turn him down. Easy solution.

Yeah because everything that goes on in football is legit and totally above board.

Maiga deal falls through amid confusion from his party, only for us to then sign our first choice immediately after. Far too perfect.

Aye. I don't doubt there was some issue there (I would imagine there is some 'risk' with virtually every player considering the medical facilities clubs have access to these days) but it was totally up to us as to how much was made of it. Worked out nicely. :lol:

The thing with the Maiga signing was the player and his agent insisted he was medically fine (I know they would say that). But maybe he was used to get a deal for Cisse, perhaps to bring the price down, and if Freiburg didn't accept we'd have pushed through with it. Once Freiburg said 'alright' we may have pulled out and got our main man. Who knows.

The way the Cisse deal came out of the blue and none of the media got it suggests we operate more that way. We've had it like that with previous signings under Ashley. So I'm sceptical Pieters is our main target.

The thing with the Maiga signing was the player and his agent insisted he was medically fine (I know they would say that). But maybe he was used to get a deal for Cisse, perhaps to bring the price down, and if Freiburg didn't accept we'd have pushed through with it. Once Freiburg said 'alright' we may have pulled out and got our main man. Who knows.

The way the Cisse deal came out of the blue and none of the media got it suggests we operate more that way. We've had it like that with previous signings under Ashley. So I'm sceptical Pieters is our main target.

It looks highly likely Maiga deal was dropped when the opportunity of signing Cisse became a real one.

It looks highly likely Maiga deal was dropped when the opportunity of signing Cisse became a real one.

but why lie about a medical ? as for pieters i have no doubt he's on the radar but not as top choice.

Yeah that's what I mean. I reckon he was used in a game of brinkmanship between us and Freiburg, we pulled out at the last minute with the sneaky excuse he had failed the medical. Maiga and his agent are left bemused and fuming and we get our man.

Yeah that's what I mean. I reckon he was used in a game of brinkmanship between us and Freiburg, we pulled out at the last minute with the sneaky excuse he had failed the medical. Maiga and his agent are left bemused and fuming and we get our man.

why would we need an excuse ?

If it was a game of brinkmanship then we needed to get Freiburg to cave in and agree on a deal. It's like when you haggle for a price and pretend you're not that interested anyway or you can get a better deal elsewhere but they're not believing you and think you'll meet their asking price. Eventually you walk out the shop and they say 'OK'. Maiga may have been our second choice but we had to be willing to go all the way with Maiga in case the Cisse deal was beyond our means.

I don't believe it was as simple as having a list with Maiga at the top and Cisse second and that we failed and moved onto the next target. I reckon we're probably more sneaky than that. But who knows, anything is possible. I just think the failed medical is a bit suspicious.

If it was a game of brinkmanship then we needed to get Freiburg to cave in and agree on a deal. It's like when you haggle for a price and pretend you're not that interested anyway but they're not believing you and think you'll meet their asking price. Eventually you walk out the shop and they say 'OK'. Maiga may have been our second choice but we had to be willing to go all the way with Maiga in case the Cisse deal was beyond our means.

I don't believe it was as simple as having a list with Maiga at the top and Cisse second and that we failed and moved onto the next target. I reckon we're probably more sneaky than that. But who knows, anything is possible. I just think the failed medical is a bit suspicious.

i don't see it as a game of brinkmanship, we wanted to get a forward in, had a first choice and a second choice, makes sense given thats apparently what happened when getting tiote. it's just a case of not putting all the eggs in one basket so to speak. then if the cisse deal is on you just call off the maiga deal, no need for lieing about failed medicals etc. no need for the cloak and dagger when it's probably a lot more straightforward.

If it was a game of brinkmanship then we needed to get Freiburg to cave in and agree on a deal. It's like when you haggle for a price and pretend you're not that interested anyway but they're not believing you and think you'll meet their asking price. Eventually you walk out the shop and they say 'OK'. Maiga may have been our second choice but we had to be willing to go all the way with Maiga in case the Cisse deal was beyond our means.

i don't see it as a game of brinkmanship, we wanted to get a forward in, had a first choice and a second choice, makes sense given thats apparently what happened when getting tiote. it's just a case of not putting all the eggs in one basket so to speak. then if the cisse deal is on you just call off the maiga deal, no need for lieing about failed medicals etc. no need for the cloak and dagger when it's probably a lot more straightforward.

Wasn't the Cisse deal a few days after the collapsed Maiga transfer?

It's also possible we put bids in/haggled for both, one accepted earlier than the other, and when the second accepted we pulled the plug.

Either way, I reckon Cisse was our first choice. Maiga a backup used to get a better price on Cisse.

Wasn't the Cisse deal a few days after the collapsed Maiga transfer?

It's also possible we put bids in/haggled for both, one accepted earlier than the other, and when the second accepted we pulled the plug.

Either way, I reckon Cisse was our first choice. Maiga a backup used to get a better price on Cisse.

i've no doubt cisse was first choice and we probably did pull the plug on the maiga deal, just don't see why we'd pull some stunt about failing a medical when we could have said "first choice has come up, soz like"

also it's a bit harsh to say maiga was used to get freiburg to lower their price when we would possibly have bought him had they not. (medical permitting)

Talked with a friend of me that is PSV-fan.

He said that he was and has been totaly shit for the last months/years and he wished that he left soon.

He could not understand why he had been attending the national team...

Guest magpie99

So, realistically, who is out, who will come in, how much do we have to spend

From my point of view, I think the following will happen:

INCOMING

Amalifitano from Reims - Free

Clyne from Palace - 2 million (set by tribunal)

Moses from Wigan - 4 million

Douglas from Twente - 4 million

Rodriguez from Burnley - 4 million

Pieters from PSV - 5 million

Young keeper from lower leagues for 1 million

No way Wigan will let Moses go for £4million, like. That old c*** Whelan is very astute when it comes to selling players. Same for Rodriguez - they'll be wanting £5/6mil+ for him.

Moses - last year of contract and told Wigan he wants to go

Rodriguez - Championship player and Burnley need the money

PL clubs will not over pay, IMO