Here's what we could have won...

Guest TheSummerOf69

We couldn't pay Sturridge's wages, wouldn't matter if he was for sale for £10m, never mind £20m.

Why? What's he on?

80k isn't it? Pretty sure we won't go much above 50k. Whether we should or not is a whole topic by itself.

So "couldn't" is a misrepresentation. And I've no idea what he's on, neither do you.

I do know that they have made out like Enrique, Barton, Nolan, Carroll were all on mega money that was unsubstainable and yet the wage bill has supposedly gone up by 7%. So what are the new lads on?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/6990213/Daniel-Sturridge-could-cost-Chelsea-as-much-as-6.5m.html

a) I don't think journalists know a player's personal financial circumstances any more than you or I do

b) I would say £60k would be a more than fair wage for a player of his talent, in fact I'd say we were getting him cheap if that's what we had to pay, not that it necessarily would have been of course

Guest TheSummerOf69

I do know that they have made out like Enrique, Barton, Nolan, Carroll were all on mega money that was unsubstainable and yet the wage bill has supposedly gone up by 7%. So what are the new lads on?

Where's that come from? I'm surprised.

The 7% figure? The club's responses to the Chronicle questions.

Ooh, didn't know they were out. Right, I'm off to read how anaemic they are...

We couldn't pay Sturridge's wages, wouldn't matter if he was for sale for £10m, never mind £20m.

Why? What's he on?

80k isn't it? Pretty sure we won't go much above 50k. Whether we should or not is a whole topic by itself.

So "couldn't" is a misrepresentation. And I've no idea what he's on, neither do you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/6990213/Daniel-Sturridge-could-cost-Chelsea-as-much-as-6.5m.html

a) I don't think journalists know a player's personal financial circumstances any more than you or I do

Why not? They have more contacts in the football world than me or you.

Why? What's he on?

Because it's a very private matter between a person and their employer and I think journalists just guess at a ballpark figure.

Why? What's he on?

Because it's a very private matter between a person and their employer and I think journalists just guess at a ballpark figure.

And since when playing by the book in football is so respected? Agents are twats. These things go out in the open easily.

Why? What's he on?

And since when playing by the book in football is so respected? Agents are twats. These things go out in the open easily.

I reckon theres a fair bit of bragging between agents and the press like, can easily see some of them leaking how much they have got for their clients.

Why? What's he on?

b) I would say £60k would be a more than fair wage for a player of his talent, in fact I'd say we were getting him cheap if that's what we had to pay, not that it necessarily would have been of course

If it's 60k a week then I would agree that would be cheap for a player of his ability. It's also why I said whether we should have a higher wage ceiling is another topic. I'd like it if we did but we don't.

Guest TheSummerOf69

What a shocking thread this is.

Well, there's worse visions than a backheeled winning goal against the Mackems. Try not to worry.

I'm not really wanting to wallow in self-pity because we didn't use the Carroll money to buy another striker.

Well, not much.

I'm sure I'll get over it if we continue to do well, at least.

I am interested in how all these non-Premier-League names (Gameiro, Erdinc etc), that have become familiar over the summer, get on though. As well as having some hindsight on how Shane Long gets on at the top table. Hopefully nowhere near as well as Leon Best...

Tbh people go on too much like it's been known Sturridge would be a top player for a number of years.  In reality he looked handy at Man City, stagnated at Chelsea, then looked a potential world-beater in his 6 months at Bolton.  I hate Mike Ashley as much as the next person who hasn't got his tongue up his hoop for some inexplicable reason, but to say that Sturridge was the obvious answer to our problems in January is a huge misreprentation of the situation.

Didn't we also fail in a bid for Rooney under the Shepherd stewardship? Wouldn't offer him big enough wages to move here either :( he looked handy this evening.

I honestly think that kid's a halfway decent player.

Aye, he's just another of the 'miriad' [sic] of players to slip through NUFC's tight grasp. Typical, eh?

Guest TheSummerOf69

We were never going to get Rooney, obviously. Sturridge I reckon we could have got last year, but maybe not.

There were a myriad (ta-da!) of strikers we were linked with in the Summer though. And I hope that the links were genuine rather than just a PR exercise.

(Just as I hope that Ba, Best, Shola and Sammy rise to the challenge and outshine all those we didn't pay enough for, just as Carroll did when he got his chance. We shall see.)