The Threeway - Best, Ba & Carroll

alpal78
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Difficult to say who is a better player. But in terms of goals this season, Best must score more than Carroll. Obviously Best is our main striker with Ba aside supporting him, he would get tons of scoring chances.  Carroll, on the other hand, seems limited to be a bench player and his main duty is to set up teammates with headers inside the penalty area instead of finishing them.

The thing is, in many ways Best is actually a better player.  His flick ons are vastly more accurate, he has a much better touch and shows some good pieces of skill on the occasion.

However Carroll is such a monster that if a team is built around him then he will always score more goals.  I thought liverpool were trying to do that with signings who can book a really good ball in the box such as Downing and Adam but they don't seem to want to make use of him properly at all.

edit: oh and my answer is Best.

I think Best did contribute a lot in our building up plays and that's the reason why we were unable to keep the ball on ground once Shola subbed him last nite. On the other hand, Liverpool also failed to do so and keep hoofing the ball to Carroll when he's on the pitch.

My question would be, could a team build around Carroll able to build up plays on the ground, probably without any contribution from Carroll? If the answer is no, Carroll would be a liability for any top class teams. He may as well end up at Stoke City lol.

I think Best did contribute a lot in our building up plays and that's the reason why we were unable to keep the ball on ground once Shola subbed him last nite. On the other hand, Liverpool also failed to do so and keep hoofing the ball to Carroll when he's on the pitch.

My question would be, could a team build around Carroll able to build up plays on the ground, probably without any contribution from Carroll? If the answer is no, Carroll would be a liability for any top class teams. He may as well end up at Stoke City lol.

If Carroll played for Stoke he'd probably score an obscene number of goals.

If Carroll played for Stoke he'd probably score an obscene number of goals.

Absolutely especially with Delap corner like throws. My view of Carroll has always been that he is (as of now) a very one dimensional striker but his heading is probably one of the best in the premiership. The goal against Villa aside, I would not be confident if he was through one on one against the keeper but float one in and he will get it 9/10. If he develop other aspects of his game than he will be world class but that requires discipline, the right attitude and games at the highest level, most which he either does nor have or is not getting.

Best is no where as good as Carroll in heading but is the more complete striker and is almost sure to improve.

So Carroll is less sure to improve than Best? Best isn't a "complete striker" as much as we'd like to believe it, just better rounded. In terms of how much each player is likely to influence a game, Carroll wins it by a mile.

Re: poll, if both players played as regularly as each other, Carroll.

So Carroll is less sure to improve than Best? Best isn't a "complete striker" as much as we'd like to believe it, just better rounded. In terms of how much each player is likely to influence a game, Carroll wins it by a mile.

Not sure where to begin with your post

1) I gave reasons that may hinder Carroll's improvement, that's not to say that he won't improve for sure but the odds are not looking good for him (at the moment).

2) Never said Best is a complete striker, I said Best is the "more" complete striker (relative), not sure what's the diff between "more complete" and "better rounded" the way you put it.

3) As far comparing goals based on how regularly they play, that's exactly what goal/minutes ratio is, it takes into account the minutes that each player plays.

1) I gave reasons that may hinder Carroll's improvement, that's not to say that he won't improve for sure but the odds are not looking good for him (at the moment).

2) Never said Best is a complete striker, I said Best is the "more" complete striker (relative), not sure what's the diff between "more complete" and "better rounded" the way you put it.

3) As far comparing goals based on how regularly they play, that's exactly what goal/minutes ratio is, it takes into account the minutes that each player plays.

1) Fine, whatever.

2) "More complete" implies that he's good at everything, which he isn't :lol: "Better rounded" on the other hand means he's limited, but none of his flaws are immensely glaring ones.

3) You do understand that footballers aren't simple probability-based machines, don't you? By playing regularly, I mean letting a player have a long enough run in the team to get his rhythm going.

1) Fine, whatever.

2) "More complete" implies that he's good at everything, which he isn't :lol: "Better rounded" on the other hand means he's limited, but none of his flaws are immensely glaring ones.

3) You do understand that footballers aren't simple probability-based machines, don't you? By playing regularly, I mean letting a player have a long enough run in the team to get his rhythm going.

"More complete" = good at everything? Excuse my language but I think you are just using language semantic bullshit. Nobody in their right mind would think that Best is good at everything and if I did, I would said that Best was Messi like or something  ;D. More complete to any layman simply means relatively he has more to his game.

As for the rhythm bit, that's clearly subjective and in no way can be measured. No issue with you voting for Carroll (that's what the poll is for), but I am surprised that you started giving excuses already. Now he has to have some sort of rhythm before he can be evaluated. Maybe he should do some MJ moves to get some rhythm  :dance:  :snod:

At the end of the day, strikers are evaluated by the goals they score...period.

If Liverpool signed Joey Barton - Carroll ;)

I still think Ba will be our top scorer this season, for some reason can't see Best getting over 10 goals for us. I think when HBA is back he'll play him behind Ba with Best on the bench.

Best will have a better goals to minute ratio than Carroll though.

If they were both in our team or the same team and played regularly then Carroll is with out a doubt the better player. As it is Carroll isn't getting games now and when he does the service provided to him isn't what he likes.

Suarez is the main man at Liverpool and every time a Liverpool players looks for a forward then 9 times out of 10 they are looking for Suarez.

If they were both in our team or the same team and played regularly then Carroll is with out a doubt the better player. As it is Carroll isn't getting games now and when he does the service provided to him isn't what he likes.

Suarez is the main man at Liverpool and every time a Liverpool players looks for a forward then 9 times out of 10 they are looking for Suarez.

Just stop posting, man.

Carroll obviously has far more ability however you have to go and do it and at the moment he has done nothing in the game that Leon Best hasn't done.

Best's attitude is brilliant whereas the likes of Capello and other people in the game seem to have a problem with Carroll's, off the pitch at least.

I'm of the opinion that if Carroll was still first choice here, he'd still be banging them in at a similar rate to what he was last season.

Depends. We're playing different kind of football now. I guess he would suffer from the lack of Enrique, Nolan and, most importantly, Barton.

I'm of the opinion that if Carroll was still first choice here, he'd still be banging them in at a similar rate to what he was last season.

Depends. We're playing different kind of football now. I guess he would suffer from the lack of Enrique, Nolan and, most importantly, Barton.

Ha, well, i was going by the criteria of "assuming he was still here" - meaning the transfer policy wouldn't be geared towards breaking even. That would probably mean Enrique, Nolan and Barton would all be here as well. :razz: