Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

From Nufc.com

Tartan tat removed:

No. Surrender

Speaking of Scotland, it's become evident that the official NUFC website shop - which is now effectively a cyber branch of Sports Direct - has been advertising Rangers merchandise in recent days.

Rather than this appearing alongside the replica kits of other club under Mike Ashley's Soccer Scene brand though, these were a single line of Rangers jackets - which abruptly disappeared following online criticism.

We first reported this in July 2013 when a Rangers coat appeared on the NUFC site in the "new arrivals" section.

The image in question was titled "Puma Newcastle United Walkout Jacket Junior" which suggested that it had been incorrectly posted, but the latest one looks intentional.

Ashley now owns a 8.9% stake in the Ibrox club and holds merchandising rights, with 238 separate lines on the main Sports Direct website. A check of the Rangers website reveals no NUFC merchandise advertised.

What was always intrigued us though on our travels is the absence of NUFC merchandise in Sports Direct outlets outside the UK - surely an obvious opportunity missed to build brand awareness in the football club sharing the same owner, unless you really just don't give a toss...

A check of the Sports Direct website reveals no less than 1,283 different "Newcastle" product lines, ranging from items under £1 including pencils to £100 (a golf bag).

PS: From Thursday's Telegraph:

Former Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias will not be taking up a similar position at Rangers, despite claims he was set to take charge of the club on behalf of Sports Direct billionaire Mike Ashley.

Llambias resigned from his position at Newcastle in June, the day after Joe Kinnear was appointed director of football after a stressful end to his five years at St James’ Park.

Although he fell out with Ashley and resigned following an inquest into a dismal campaign in order to save manager Alan Pardew, the pair have since made up and are working together again.

Llambias has been looking after a few aspects of Ashley’s dealings with Rangers, but he does not want to return to a full-time position in football and feels Glasgow is too far away from his family home in London.

Guest diddimz

I thought there were issues with owners having a say in multiple clubs, conflict of interest and all that. I'm sure i read something about that involving Corinthians years ago. Or im going insane.

Is that Rangers merchandise geniunely for sale on the NUFC website or is it just a cock-up by the people running the website?

Does Ashley really think that Rangers fans would look at the NUFC website as the place to buy their merchandise from rather than their own website?

Is that Rangers merchandise geniunely for sale on the NUFC website or is it just a cock-up by the people running the website?

Does Ashley really think that Rangers fans would look at the NUFC website as the place to buy their merchandise from rather than their own website?

Just a mistake probably, I guess they share systems now.

Guest neesy111

Obviously it's a cock-up but NUFC's website is hosted on the same server as rangers store.

possibly a cock up however that NUFC direct website is ran by sports direct,  by the looks of things a NUFC supporter going online to buy something, thinking his money is going back into the club doesn't realise that it is actually going into sports directs coffers and not NUFC's.

possibly a cock up however that NUFC direct website is ran by sports direct,  by the looks of things a NUFC supporter going online to buy something, thinking his money is going back into the club doesn't realise that it is actually going into sports directs coffers and not NUFC's.

Is it not going into NUFC's coffers? Pretty sure it still is and Sports Direct are just being utilised to replace and run the old shop system for presumably a commission or a flat fee.

Holy shit. Maybe we're actually getting it for free! :lol:

Is it not going into NUFC's coffers? Pretty sure it still is and Sports Direct are just being utilised to replace and run the old shop system for presumably a commission or a flat fee.

Holy s***. Maybe we're actually getting it for free! :lol:

Some how doubt it!! :)

Are we officially a subsidiary of Sports Direct yet?

The thing that annoys me the most is the free advertising..... he should pay for that or have the advertizing fee discounted from the amount we owe him. How come its completely free???

Because he's the sole shareholder and can do what the f*** he wants.

Obviously. Which makes me smile at the chanting "get out of our club".

Its his club from top to bottom and fans are customers, no more no less.

The ONLY way to see change is to STOP GOING. Nothing else will work.

All this crap about "Oh, that will affect the team" is a load of bull.  Consistently selling your best players affects the team as does his hiring of gambling buddies into critical positions. The effect of support is minimal in comparison, much as we like to think otherwise.

Man City always had a decent support yet they were shite until they got decent owners.

I am no expert on these things but it seems as if everything that can be outsourced has been and I guess along with the 10 year season ticket deals, Ashley knows that he is guaranteed a certain income each year.  That means that there is no scope for generating extra revenue because they probably receive a set fee but then from his point of view it keeps the operating costs down. 

It means that the only real revenue coming into the club is the TV money and gate receipts and the occasional sale of a player.

If he does end up selling the club, the new owners could be inheriting all kinds of problems depending on the contracts agreed.

I find it unacceptable that the club laments its poor commercial revenue when it is of their own choice and use it as a excuse for not competing.

I am no expert on these things but it seems as if everything that can be outsourced has been and I guess along with the 10 year season ticket deals, Ashley knows that he is guaranteed a certain income each year.  That means that there is no scope for generating extra revenue because they probably receive a set fee but then from his point of view it keeps the operating costs down. 

It means that the only real revenue coming into the club is the TV money and gate receipts and the occasional sale of a player.

If he does end up selling the club, the new owners could be inheriting all kinds of problems depending on the contracts agreed.

I find it unacceptable that the club laments its poor commercial revenue when it is of their own choice and use it as a excuse for not competing.

Spot on and the reason for this is the conflict of interest between Sports Direct and Newcastle united.  NUFC is being used as a free promotional and merchandising vehicle for SD.

A few members here have spoken in the past of signing up to the 10 year deal, but then cancelling it? Was that just a case of cancelling the direct debit or is there a genuine direct route out?

A few members here have spoken in the past of signing up to the 10 year deal, but then cancelling it? Was that just a case of cancelling the direct debit or is there a genuine direct route out?

Your season ticket DD can be cancelled whenever...however if it cancelled before that seasons 'term' is paid for, you'll be unable to attend matches from when the DD is cancelled.

You can wait until February iirc and your season will be paid for, then cancel the DD, which will enable you to go to games for the full season, and then be ST free after May.

If that makes any sense.

Holy shit. Maybe we're actually getting it for free! :lol:

How exactly are you sure of this?

If NUFC & Sports Direct have a sale & distribution arrangement which involves money being transferred from one to the other or services being provided for free by Sports Direct, why is this not mentioned in the Related Party Transactions section in the accounts?

People assume that because something is sold with a NUFC badge on it, its a Newcastle United product; but if Sports Direct produce and sell the clothes & merchandising and just stick a NUFC badge on it, then it is a Sports Direct product which the club is "advertising and promoting". This would be covered by the related party transaction clause and not a penny of any sale would need to go to the club.

Your season ticket DD can be cancelled whenever...however if it cancelled before that seasons 'term' is paid for, you'll be unable to attend matches from when the DD is cancelled.

You can wait until February iirc and your season will be paid for, then cancel the DD, which will enable you to go to games for the full season, and then be ST free after May.

If that makes any sense.

It does, thanks. And there are no charges to be incurred from cancelling the DD?

Just something I've wondered, as I assumed the 10 year deal was more binding than that.

If that makes any sense.

It does, thanks. And there are no charges to be incurred from cancelling the DD?

Just something I've wondered, as I assumed the 10 year deal was more binding than that.

Not my knowledge mate, looked into it when they appointed JFK but just couldn't bring myself to send the email.

Looked at the T's & C's before I signed the deal and noticed you can cancel at anytime as that's what I was afraid of too.

Mattypnufc is spot on... There is no tie in which is why it was always a no-brainer to sign up... Cancel your DD in feb allows you to watch the full season as you've effectively paid for all the games... Cancel it before Feb and access to the ground will be cancelled...

I e-mailed them at the start of the season explaining that I my Mrs had a baby on the way and for them not to bother sending me a season card out as I am not interested.

Ended the e-mail with 'btw, I have cancelled the Direct Debit, so I expect no more charges.'

I think I am still a member, weirdly.