Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Is it his employment of the wrong people or his instructions to those people?

They closely related I guess. He employs people who don't know what they doing, and he can't instruct them effectively because he doesn't know either.

Disagree. He knows exactly what he's doing.

There's no coincidence that the strategy has been buy cheap, sell high (even if results have been mixed).

Same thing with ignoring cups, not wanting Europa etc. All of the clues lead to financial prudence which comes from his unwillingness to fund the club personally or at least allow it to take it a punt in punching its weight.

I've said it before but everyone he employs falls into the category of 'grateful, incompetent'.

I'm sure there's a name for it when you crave this thanks/gratitude/popularity/love from people. An undoubted ego thing.

Do these people just read s*** and watch TV and nod brainless, well if the media say it then it must be true? Although to a degree what Ashley has done on self preservation can be construed as productive, the way he's gone about it and the fact that the stringent rules he's put in place have removed any sense of competition it becomes a moot point. There is promise in there, just not in the way Ashley wants to do it, what is sport of it's not competitive?

Ashley is bad for football however you look at it, but hey we didn't become the next Leeds or Portsmouth so he should stay forever. Plus he's started spending now #Wait

I'm still of the opinion that his biggest failing is his employing the wrong people. I don't believe for a second that Mike Ashley doesn't want us to be competitive. It makes NO business sense to not be successful.

I just think he puts his trust in completely the wrong people to achieve it (which of course is a huge failing). However, to say "it couldn't get any worse than Ashley" is complete nonsense.

I still think, IF Ashley is willing to invest £30m-£50m in each of the next couple of transfer windows, we SHOULD have a very competitive team. Not hugely confident in Charnley and Carr to get the right players, or McClaren to get the best out of them though.

He is successful in making money out of us. He doesn't give two f***s how the club does on the pitch as long as it stays in the division and reaps the rewards.  It's very successful for him, it isn't at all successful for us.

Exactly. Not sure why that is so hard to grasp for so many of our fans.

Do these people just read s*** and watch TV and nod brainless, well if the media say it then it must be true? Although to a degree what Ashley has done on self preservation can be construed as productive, the way he's gone about it and the fact that the stringent rules he's put in place have removed any sense of competition it becomes a moot point. There is promise in there, just not in the way Ashley wants to do it, what is sport of it's not competitive?

Ashley is bad for football however you look at it, but hey we didn't become the next Leeds or Portsmouth so he should stay forever. Plus he's started spending now #Wait

I'm still of the opinion that his biggest failing is his employing the wrong people. I don't believe for a second that Mike Ashley doesn't want us to be competitive. It makes NO business sense to not be successful.

I just think he puts his trust in completely the wrong people to achieve it (which of course is a huge failing). However, to say "it couldn't get any worse than Ashley" is complete nonsense.

I still think, IF Ashley is willing to invest £30m-£50m in each of the next couple of transfer windows, we SHOULD have a very competitive team. Not hugely confident in Charnley and Carr to get the right players, or McClaren to get the best out of them though.

He doesn't give two fucks if we're competitive or not. We're not a football club, we exist to advertise a well known sports retailer.

It's that simple. Moreover, he applies the same model he does to every other subsidiary of his empire because that's what he knows works and is too stubborn to change that.

I think he puts his trust in exactly the right people, given what he wants to "achieve".

Exactly. Besides, is it actually of any importance whether his complete failure to make NUFC progress under his tenure because of gross incompetence or because it benefits him? In the end, the result is exactly the same and after 8 years of it how anybody can think with any confidence that things are about to change for the better defies belief.

I think he puts his trust in exactly the right people, given what he wants to "achieve".

Exactly. Besides, is it actually of any importance whether his complete failure to make NUFC progress under his tenure because of gross incompetence or because it benefits him? In the end, the result is exactly the same and after 8 years of it how anybody can think with any confidence that things are about to change for the better defies belief.

Well you're right unless we go down (again). In which case he's fucked up.

Sick of hearing about how much we spent last summer.

Love to know how many points these people think we'd have if we'd spent fuck all seeing as we're in the relegation zone anyway.

He spends the bare minimum amount of money that he believes will give us a fighting chance of survival. That's the beginning and end of our transfer policy.

Well you're right unless we go down (again). In which case he's fucked up.

He'll think he can get away with it, as he has done many times. If we go down it'll be a gamble that didn't pay off, then he'll think he can gamble successfully again. There's not a lot of thought going into it.

Sick of hearing about how much we spent last summer.

Love to know how many points these people think we'd have if we'd spent fuck all seeing as we're in the relegation zone anyway.

He spends the bare minimum amount of money that he believes will give us a fighting chance of survival. That's the beginning and end of our transfer policy.

:thup: He spent some of the piles of money the club had earnt that had been sitting there for years, with even more mad income to come if we stay in the top league. Aye, well  done. It was nice to see us spend a bit more money but they were still all cautious purchases in the sense he wants to sell them on.

He is successful in making money out of us. <b>He doesn't give two f***s how the club does on the pitch as long as it stays in the division and reaps the rewards.</b>  It's very successful for him, it isn't at all successful for us.

I disagree. If he is anything like this "clever businessman" we hear he is, he will be trying to achieve the very best league position with the very smallest outlay possible (hence the buy low sell high mentality). That way, European football brings with it extra advertising opportunities and extra revenue for his own company. Remember that this policy looked to be working during the first couple of seasons back in the league.

All you have to do is look at what happened when we got into the Europa League. Every game in that competition saw billboards plastered everywhere for Sports Direct in different countries. If we were playing a french team it was sportsdirect.fr, if a Belgium team it was sportsdirect.be. He was expanding his business and audience in conjunction with NUFC's successes on the pitch.

We do better, he gets more coverage. Simple.

Whether his motives are driven by football, money, Sports Direct etc are largely irrelevant in this argument... there is not a chance in hell (IMO) that he "doesn't give two fucks" where we finish.

At best then he has the wrong priorities and is incompetent.

I disagree. If he is anything like this "clever businessman" we hear he is, he will be trying to achieve the very best league position with the very smallest outlay possible (hence the buy low sell high mentality). That way, European football brings with it extra advertising opportunities and extra revenue for his own company.

:lol: Wow man, you're still that far behind?

So he wants to get into the Europa league, but he's not willing to even spend 10 million extra of Newcastle United money (money self generated through the club) to make 5 times the amount of that in global advertising for his own company?  :lol:

He just wants to survive man. Think about it, what offers more exposure, the Premier league or the Europa league?

Guest Roger Kint

We are talking about a bloke who wont sanction buying a new defender as we have too many on the books now. If a new defender got us just one place higher that £2.5m prize boost would cover having Saylor/Williamson out the squad with about £1m to spare. Thats the level of stupidity we have running us

We are talking about a bloke who wont sanction buying a new defender as we have too many on the books now. If a new defender got us just one place higher that £2.5m prize boost would cover having Saylor/Williamson out the squad with about £1m to spare. Thats the level of stupidity we have running us

Also talking about a bloke who lost around £5m in prize money by not re-investing the £3.5m he received as compensation for the manager who left midway through the season.  Instead letting an absolute fuckwit run the team that had us toppling down the table.

We are talking about <b>a bloke who wont sanction buying a new defender</b> as we have too many on the books now. If a new defender got us just one place higher that £2.5m prize boost would cover having Saylor/Williamson out the squad with about £1m to spare. Thats the level of stupidity we have running us

Not what I've been told.

Ashley definitely wants to get into the Europa League like, all the evidence points that way.

:lol: :thup:

Genuinely dumbfounded by those posts man. Scary that there are still people who think that way.

Yeah, so scary for someone to have a different opinion on the matter! From everything that I've been told from various people over the last 9 months, Ashley in person is very very driven to make a success of NUFC. His definition of success may be different to a fans definition and be based more around how his business can benefit, but he sees the two as going very much hand in hand. I've been told several times by people who know a great deal more about the situation than me or you, that Ashley has made it known to the board that he wants to be competing for Champions League football within 5 years.

Where the plan is failing spectacularly is that he's not currently ploughing enough money into it to make that a possibility and that he's not currently employing the right people to make it happen.

So he wants to get into the Europa league, <b>but he's not willing to even spend 10 million extra</b> of Newcastle United money (money self generated through the club) to make 5 times the amount of that in global advertising for his own company?  :lol:

Says who?

5 year plan it is.  :lol: :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Also talking about a bloke who lost around £5m in prize money by not re-investing the £3.5m he received as compensation for the manager who left midway through the season.  Instead letting an absolute fuckwit run the team that had us toppling down the table.

:thup: