Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I'm convinced that Ashley's business empire will come crumbling down around him at some point in the future.  Probably wishful thinking, but I've just got a feeling it could start going wrong for him.

Coincidentally, quite a few high street retailers have gone bust recently over here in NL. Some big names too. These massive companies apparently can't deal with percentage wise quite small drops in revenue. The online market isn't so restricted by national boundaries. It's not inconceivable that someone like Amazon moves into his market and pushes SD over altogether at some stage.

So?

I only got into this thread to reply to one comment about him not "giving a f***". That's what all of my rambles over the last page have been in reference to.

If rather than "not giving a f***" it would have said "results on the pitch don't matter much to him as long as we are in the PL" would you have reacted? Because that's what it effectively comes down to.

fundamentally bullshit in my eyes

If you've given up your season ticket as a result of the bloke actions (as I also have), why would you possibly "worry" about future potential owners?

The most important thing to me with regards to NUFC are that I'm proud of them, and that I actually care about what happens to them, and that's something I haven't had for a long time. I can barely call myself a supporter anymore, such is my total apathy towards the results, so the idea that I could possibly worry about a new owner is preposterous.

Anyone that gets me (and thousands of others) back through the door would be a welcome change, whether that be in the top flight or the Conference.

What we've got now is purgatory.

Truth be told, it was Alan Pardew that ended my love for NUFC (as an avid matchgoer). I detested the man to such an extent that I actually wished for defeats so he would leave sooner. By extension, yes, that is all Ashley's fault, but my day-to-day enjoyment of this football club was ended by Pardew and his merry men.

A good manager and some good players / football would get me back through the door, regardless of the owner to be honest.

You would think if Ashley was serious about appointing a good manager he would hire an MD with extensive football knowledge to get the right man in for the job. Do you think he's really serious about doing well when he's putting someone like Charnley in charge and then wiping his hands of responsibility for results?

He's obviously learnt to do things a certain way in business and that isnt necessarily replicable when owning a football team.

I imagine due to his huge reluctance to work closely with anyone foreign, that he is exactly the same at sports direct. Its not that he goes out looking for shite managers, its likely that they're simply English. Saying that, i cant see him hiring the likes of Garry Monk. Harry Redknapp is the kind he goes for, older, bit of a geeza m8. He wouldnt have been cheap so its not just money. He's comes across a bit xenophobic when it comes to who he puts in power.

Same with our obsession with France. He's just found where he can source his goods for cheapest, so our entire transfer strategy is based around it.

being successful and wealthy is 80% luck :lol: okay man.

You laugh but if you knew much about business and the economy it honestly is about being in the right place at the right time. Obviously the harder you work and the more intelligent you are the greater chance you have of making it, but do you not think 100s of other people aren't doing exactly that as well?

Do you think when Ashley set up his first store he planned the recession? It's no coincidence his value has grown massively since 2007 in so many different ways. He started off with a 10,000 (the equivalent of 31,000 now)  loan from his family. How many families do you know will remortgage their house so they can loan their son 31,000 for a new business? To most people the dream would have stopped right there.

If you've given up your season ticket as a result of the bloke actions (as I also have), why would you possibly "worry" about future potential owners?

The most important thing to me with regards to NUFC are that I'm proud of them, and that I actually care about what happens to them, and that's something I haven't had for a long time. I can barely call myself a supporter anymore, such is my total apathy towards the results, so the idea that I could possibly worry about a new owner is preposterous.

Anyone that gets me (and thousands of others) back through the door would be a welcome change, whether that be in the top flight or the Conference.

What we've got now is purgatory.

Truth be told, it was Alan Pardew that ended my love for NUFC (as an avid matchgoer). I detested the man to such an extent that I actually wished for defeats so he would leave sooner. By extension, yes, that is all Ashley's fault, but my day-to-day enjoyment of this football club was ended by Pardew and his merry men.

A good manager and some good players / football would get me back through the door, regardless of the owner to be honest.

You would think if Ashley was serious about appointing a good manager he would hire an MD with extensive football knowledge to get the right man in for the job. Do you think he's really serious about doing well when he's putting someone like Charnley in charge and then wiping his hands of responsibility for results?

He's completely misguided, but yes I think he is "serious" about doing well. He's just wanting to do it his way... i.e. with the least expense possible and therefore hopefully the biggest profits.

So then the only thing he's "serious" about in reality is profits. If he'd rather risk a shitter football team than invest in some expertise I don't think you can call him serious about wanting success.

The irony is that we're only "financially stable" because of the huge increases in TV revenue which have been outside of his control. If it wasn't for that, this way of running a club would have been a surefire way of "doing a Leeds/Pompey".

Exactly, he was extremely lucky to basically get into the Premier at the exact right time. I'm sure the rumours were that he actually wanted to flip the club quickly but then had to pay of the mortgage so stuck about until he could make his money back. Imagine how much money he would have lost?

What about the Andy Carroll sale? Is that genius from Ashley? Or luck that we happended to have the PL man of the moment and Liverpool (with Dalglish in charge) had 50m burning in their pockets. Would we have bought Cabaye, Ba etc without that money?

Genuis business from Ashley or taking advantage of being in the right place at the right time.

You laugh but if you knew much about business and the economy it honestly is about being in the right place at the right time. Obviously the harder you work and the more intelligent you are the greater chance you have of making it, but do you not think 100s of other people aren't doing exactly that as well?

I agree it's also not just hard work but there has to be a drive - a certain type of ruthlessness and determination to see things through and also the cunning to carve out opportunities where others don't see them - in order to rise above the hundred-thousandaire club of quasi-successful entrepreneurs and into the millionaire+ brackets. Ashley obviously possesses these traits, cunt that he is. edit: In that respect I don't think it's down to luck, unless we're being pedantic and saying the luck of him being born with those genes :lol:. But a lot of the rest is - environment, initial opportunities, upbringing etc. I'd just never put a percentage on what space each of those occupy.

Its really simple, sports direct is smothering the club along with that 135 million loan.

If fat man cleared the loan and allowed us to actually pick up new sponsorship then we might stand a chance.  We are bottom o the league by all of Ashleys actions.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mike Ashley doesn't give a fuck about Newcastle United, its history, its stadium, its fans. Nothing. He only values SD and that only. The club is there to advertise SD and NUFC will be ran on the bare minimum. MD? Cheap nobody. Manager? Cheap nobody. Players? Cheap unknowns. Ambition? To stay in the league? Cups? Nope. Europe? Nope. Fans? CANTS!

I hope the whole fucking lot crashes and burns around him and every CANT that still supports this shit tip of a so-called football club.

The irony is that we're only "financially stable" because of the huge increases in TV revenue which have been outside of his control. If it wasn't for that, this way of running a club would have been a surefire way of "doing a Leeds/Pompey".

Aye. For the first five years, all he did was fucking cryarse on about how much money NUFC was costing him. What a business genius.

Mike Ashley doesn't give a f*** about Newcastle United, its history, its stadium, its fans. Nothing. He only values SD and that only. The club is there to advertise SD and NUFC will be ran on the bare minimum. MD? Cheap nobody. Manager? Cheap nobody. Players? Cheap unknowns. Ambition? To stay in the league? Cups? Nope. Europe? Nope. Fans? CANTS!

I hope the whole f***ing lot crashes and burns around him and every CANT that still supports this s*** tip of a so-called football club.

Hear Hear!!

I agree it's also not just hard work but there has to be a drive - a certain type of ruthlessness and determination to see things through and also the cunning to carve out opportunities where others don't see them - in order to rise above the hundred-thousandaire club of quasi-successful entrepreneurs and into the millionaire+ brackets. Ashley obviously possesses these traits, cunt that he is. edit: In that respect I don't think it's down to luck, unless we're being pedantic and saying the luck of him being born with those genes :lol:. But a lot of the rest is - environment, initial opportunities, upbringing etc. I'd just never put a percentage on what space each of those occupy.

The ruthlessness is much of what sets him apart from other businesses in the same market imo. Ashley doesn't pay minimum wage, he doesn't adhere to consumer laws regarding advertising, he doesn't treat staff like human beings where other companies will try to, he will refuse to pay suppliers etc etc. Britain doesn't have a grasp on companies like his, if they're big enough, they can basically do whatever the fuck they want, and he's nasty enough to exploit every possible cost cutting measure. All these things give him an edge that he's taken full advantage of.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ashley isn't a great businessman. The fact he runs a very successful business and is extremely wealthy doesn't make him a great businessman. I'd say he is an awful businessman, and his running of NUFC more than demonstrates that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ashley isn't a great businessman. The fact he runs a very successful business and is extremely wealthy doesn't make him a great businessman. I'd say he is an awful businessman, and his running of NUFC more than demonstrates that.

[emoji38] I'm 100% sure I once argued that and you took the exact opposite position. Not that it matters.

Guest Howaythetoon

[emoji38] I'm 100% sure I once argued that and you took the exact opposite position. Not that it matters.

I probably did.

I read up more on SD, his practices, how he started out etc. since.

Before that I just looked at his wealth, the success of SD etc. and thought "good businessman."

I probably did.

I read up more on SD, his practices, how he started out etc. since.

Before that I just looked at his wealth, the success of SD etc. and thought "good businessman."

:thup:

Do you think when Ashley set up his first store he planned the recession? It's no coincidence his value has grown massively since 2007 in so many different ways. He started off with a 10,000 (the equivalent of 31,000 now)  loan from his family. How many families do you know will remortgage their house so they can loan their son 31,000 for a new business? To most people the dream would have stopped right there.

Didn't he fall out with them, after not paying it back or something along those lines?

Yep, iirc he's pretty much estranged from his parents (who are not exactly well off) over it. You know that saying about someone would sell their granny for a few quid? Well swap "granny" for "mam" and "a few quid" for "a slightly smaller liabilities total on the balance sheet" and that's exactly what this cunt did. He's beyond parody man, a despicable human being by any measure make no mistake.

So?

I only got into this thread to reply to one comment about him not "giving a f***". That's what all of my rambles over the last page have been in reference to.

Fair enough and of course you're entitled to your opinion but I'll take the word of Kevin Keegan, who worked under Ashley, above yours. Nobody will ever convince me Ashley is anything but bad for NUFC as a football club.