Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

lucky to have the fat cunt according to john irving.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/14232739.Crowd_displeaser___but_Newcastle_United_lucky_to_have_Mike_Ashley__says_former_right_hand_man/

NEWCASTLE United is perfectly placed to achieve on-field success because it struck lucky when Mike Ashley brought his business acumen to the club’s boardroom, it has been claimed.

John Irving, a former Magpies’ finance chief, says Mr Ashley remains the man to bring success to Tyneside.

Mr Irving was speaking exclusively to The Northern Echo ahead of the club’s £12m capture of Tottenham Hotspur’s Andros Townsend.

Loading article content

The England winger’s arrival will mean Mr Ashley has sanctioned spending in excess of £75m in the last six months and paid nearly £30m in January alone, after approving a £12m deal for Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey and the £4.4m transfer of Bordeaux’s Henri Saivet.

Mr Irving, who worked alongside owner Mr Ashley for about eight years before moving to Newcastle Airport, said the Sports Direct founder’s outlay is proof of his commitment to make the team one of the best in the country.

He said: “When Mike came in there was a step change in business attitude; it is now a very stable football club.

“That doesn’t come out because it’s not the fun stuff (but) they have got the ability to go and buy quality players.

“Mike gets a lot of criticism at the club for things that are not necessarily his doing.

“The club is lucky he bought it; I honestly believe that.

“If not, I don’t know what would have happened.”

Mr Irving, who, as business development director, is charged with luring more passengers and services to the airport, said Mr Ashley won’t walk away until success is attained.

He added: “People talk about him not having an interest but that is total rubbish.

“When he first came to Newcastle, he came to enjoy the football and that’s what he still wants to do.

“He has made a massive difference to Newcastle United and has never taken money out of the club.

“The model works at the club and Mike has Newcastle United’s best interests at heart.

Share article

   “They are definitely not where they should be this season, but they’ll be better next year.

“Mike won’t accept anything less than that.”

didnt someone off this board go to school with irving and say how he was a real fan.

Debatable, someone I work with is friends with him and has told me he very much viewed it as any other job rather than having a duty to help the club do well.

Wonder if Charnley and Irving enjoy going to the match? I suspect not.

I knew John Irving pretty well in our teens and he was a passionate fan and loved going to the match.

It's a real shame that he's now happy to be the mouthpiece for this regime. But I guess he gets paid enough that he's willing to toe the line.

That's even worse if he used to be a fan. I'd always assumed he was just a numbers man with a passing interest because of his job.

When I knew John in the early 90’s he was a huge Newcastle fan.

Simon Esland was similar, a big Newcastle fan that ended up landing a high profile job at the club. Although he’s now left and gone back to Vodafone.

Irving sounds as thick as pigshit. The model works? That's why we're battling relegation for the second year running after previously being relegated under this thick t***.

He hasn't taken any money out? Nah, he's just restricted our revenue streams and used the club to get free advertising.

lucky to have the fat c*** according to john irving.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/14232739.Crowd_displeaser___but_Newcastle_United_lucky_to_have_Mike_Ashley__says_former_right_hand_man/

NEWCASTLE United is perfectly placed to achieve on-field success because it struck lucky when Mike Ashley brought his business acumen to the club’s boardroom, it has been claimed.

John Irving, a former Magpies’ finance chief, says Mr Ashley remains the man to bring success to Tyneside.

Mr Irving was speaking exclusively to The Northern Echo ahead of the club’s £12m capture of Tottenham Hotspur’s Andros Townsend.

Loading article content

The England winger’s arrival will mean Mr Ashley has sanctioned spending in excess of £75m in the last six months and paid nearly £30m in January alone, after approving a £12m deal for Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey and the £4.4m transfer of Bordeaux’s Henri Saivet.

Mr Irving, who worked alongside owner Mr Ashley for about eight years before moving to Newcastle Airport, said the Sports Direct founder’s outlay is proof of his commitment to make the team one of the best in the country.

He said: “When Mike came in there was a step change in business attitude; it is now a very stable football club.

“That doesn’t come out because it’s not the fun stuff (but) they have got the ability to go and buy quality players.

“Mike gets a lot of criticism at the club for things that are not necessarily his doing.

“The club is lucky he bought it; I honestly believe that.

“If not, I don’t know what would have happened.”

Mr Irving, who, as business development director, is charged with luring more passengers and services to the airport, said Mr Ashley won’t walk away until success is attained.

He added: “People talk about him not having an interest but that is total rubbish.

“When he first came to Newcastle, he came to enjoy the football and that’s what he still wants to do.

“He has made a massive difference to Newcastle United and has never taken money out of the club.

“The model works at the club and Mike has Newcastle United’s best interests at heart.

Share article

   “They are definitely not where they should be this season, but they’ll be better next year.

“Mike won’t accept anything less than that.”

Pffft, flies in the face of everything I have witnessed in the last 9 years. 

When Mike came in there was a step change in business attitude; it is now a very stable football club.

You're not a stable football club or even a stable business when, due to chronic mismanagement, you have no fucking idea half way through the season if you're going to get the £100m+ Premier League money next year or not.  That's the opposite of stability.

He hasn't taken any money out? Nah, he's just restricted our revenue streams and used the club to get free advertising.

...and taken £11m out.

It's a strange article.  In one paragraph he's arguing that Ashley is brilliant because the financials are excellent with the club on a self financing even keel and in another paragraph he's lauding Ashley for ongoing personal investment being made into the club.

It's got to be one or the other, they can't have their cake and eat it.  Either it needs his investment or it doesn't.

It doesn't.

Irving sounds as thick as pigshit. The model works? That's why we're battling relegation for the second year running after previously being relegated under this thick t***.

Aye, they've never quite clocked that there's quite an easy way to tell in football whether something is working or not.

When Mike came in there was a step change in business attitude; it is now a very stable football club.

You're not a stable football club or even a stable business when, due to chronic mismanagement, you have no f***ing idea half way through the season if you're going to get the £100m+ Premier League money next year or not.  That's the opposite of stability.

:lol: :lol:

Hiring proven lunatics such as Kinnear  :lol:

Not really interested in what you 'think'.  Gates have dropped but we're still one of the best supported clubs in the country.  Don't know about match day revenue as I didn't mention that at all, that's your thing.

You seem to have missed my point entirely.

Even the dropped attendances would quickly get back up to capacity if we were investing in the squad and and management to challenge for Europe rather than operating the club like a discount store.

TCD apparently has trouble understanding that a very well supported football team with very good players and very good facilities might not be best served by a dinosaur manager recently deemed not good enough for Derby County.  Further than that he apparently fails to grasp the irony of investing huge amounts of the clubs money in the best players we can afford while arguably the most important position at the club is filled by the cheapest and easiest candidate we could find.

Not really interested in what you 'think'.  Gates have dropped but we're still one of the best supported clubs in the country.  Don't know about match day revenue as I didn't mention that at all, that's your thing.

You seem to have missed my point entirely.

Deloitte say the matchday income the accounts will confirm in a couple of months will be up on 13/14, even having played 3 fewer home games.  Both other revenue streams (TV & commercial) have dropped.

Remarkable that the fans are the only ones still pumping growing sums into the club... but being called delusional, fickle and over demanding.

Mike Ashley has done a lot more wrong than appoint SMC. Which was also poor but last in a long list. Everything from match day revenue, commercial revenue beyond TV, attendance, facilities, stadium... down across the board since he bought the club. Crap MD too.

We know.

I would not mind at all if Ashley had come in and run the club as a sustainable business. For me, it's all the other dreadful decisions made. Hiring cretins like wise and kinnear, the stadium name change, hiring pardew and not getting shot when he really needed to go, dampening expectations, banning any media who question his ways, hiring charnley who then thought carver was an acceptable choice to manage us, allowing charnley to hire mcclaren rather than going for someone more likely to excite the fans and motivate the team, anything to do with press woman wendy, making bob moncur kiss his arse on a regular basis and loads of other things I have missed. If he had appointed acceptably qualified people to the correct posts and communicated with fans on the true reality of expectation etc (and he did communicate, he used to go into pubs and drink with fans) then this level of apathy, almost hatred, wouldn't be here. Or might not nearly be as bad. If he started making good calls on hiring the right people and didn't make every decision seemingly on how to really p*ss off the entire fan base then he could have been really well thought of. He can still turn this around and start doing it, but the question is will he?