Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The message from the top is that we're not interested in competing for the cups and completely coincidentally we always play like we're not interested in competing for the cups.

:mystery:

Why aren't we capable of putting weaker sides out and still get through like many other PL sides can do?

I don't really know, a combination of things from luck, bad player performances to managerial mistakes etc. If the question was for me, I was making a point about approach and specifically not results.

Welcome to IanWorld, where absolutely fucking everything is a coincidence!

What have I said that means that? My point is that many clubs prioritise the league over the cup, and many clubs find Europa a hassle they could do without. This is still a fact.

BTW if it was up to me we would prioritise the FA Cup over everything.

What have I said that means that? My point is that many clubs prioritise the league over the cup, and many clubs find Europa a hassle they could do without. This is still a fact.

Is it just a coincidence then that (as per Wullie's post above) we have performed worse in the cups than all 19 other Premier League clubs over the last 7 seasons?

People often have trouble conceptualising beyond four dimensions (being three spatial dimensions and time) but experiencing Ian W on this forum is a cracking example of how you can skip in and out of reality as we know it: leave the forum for weeks on end and return to find he's in the same thread, making the exact non-point as when you left. Remarkable. :laugh:

Is it just a coincidence then that (as per Wullie's post above) we have performed worse in the cups than all 19 other Premier League clubs over the last 7 seasons?

That's very difficult to answer. We are worse than some of those teams, so that accounts for some of them. The others, I don't know enough about all the lineups, events of the match and anything else to say. The sample size is very small for it to be analysed just on numbers.

I'm not seeking to explain away all out bad results. I'm saying our priorities are similar to a lot of clubs. IMO it's a problem with the structure of English football rather than us specifically.

And as I said, as a fan I disagree with our priorities as I'm desperate to win a trophy.

Guest neesy111

It just feeds down throughout the club from the top when they say they are not bothered with the cups.  This will bite the club in the arse eventually as players will want to leave to win things if they get the chance.

People often have trouble conceptualising beyond four dimensions (being three spatial dimensions and time) but experiencing Ian W on this forum is a cracking example of how you can skip in and out of reality as we know it: leave the forum for weeks on end and return to find he's in the same thread, making the exact non-point as when you left. Remarkable. :laugh:

Sorry Beren, acting in your official capacity as debate standards enforcer here? Didn't realise everyone else changed their opinion on Mike Ashley regularly.

Just some kind of weird science going against us.

It's fucking disgusting. Even attempting to defend it is even worse.

That's very difficult to answer. We are worse than some of those teams, so that accounts for some of them. The others, I don't know enough about all the lineups, events of the match and anything else to say. The sample size is very small for it to be analysed just on numbers.

I'm not seeking to explain away all out bad results. I'm saying our priorities are similar to a lot of clubs. IMO it's a problem with the structure of English football rather than us specifically.

And as I said, as a fan I disagree with our priorities as I'm desperate to win a trophy.

What about the numerous ones that we're better than?  Or the many Football League clubs that have done well, many of whom will have had their own aims for the season including promotion, escaping relegation, etc?  7 years is too small a sample mind, we'll have to wait until Ashley's been in charge 30 or 40 years to be sure.

Sorry Beren, acting in your official capacity as debate standards enforcer here? Didn't realise everyone else changed their opinion on Mike Ashley regularly.

Not at all. Feel free to continue posting as you are and have been. I enjoy reading your posts.

Why aren't we capable of putting weaker sides out and still get through like many other PL sides can do?

Because our manager admits himself that he needs a complete full strength XI to get results. This is why I can't take seriously the "that team was strong enough to win" bunch when he's put out stronger teams than that in league games, got completely butchered and then blamed it on one or two injuries.

I don't really know, a combination of things from luck, bad player performances to managerial mistakes etc. If the question was for me, I was making a point about approach and specifically not results.

It's mostly because the club doesn't have a philosophy about how to play the game. A style of play that is implemented at every level of the club all the way from the kids to the first team. Players in the first eleven might have a clue about what the guy next to them is going to do next but this is down to them getting to know each others style. It should be down to every player following a coherent plan of playing, where to move, where to pass, how to pass, when to slow it down, when to apply pressure, depending on the area of the pitch.

This in my opinion causes changes in the squad to make the players look like headless chickens running around. The player coming in doesnt have a plan of play to follow and he doesnt know the other players well enough to guess what they are doing next.

Guest neesy111

It's mostly because the club doesn't have a philosophy about how to play the game. A style of play that is implemented at every level of the club all the way from the kids to the first team. Players in the first eleven might have a clue about what the guy next to them is going to do next but this is down to them getting to know each others style. It should be down to every player following a coherent plan of playing, where to move, where to pass, how to pass, when to slow it down, when to apply pressure, depending on the area of the pitch.

This in my opinion causes changes in the squad to make the players look like headless chickens running around. The player coming in doesnt have a plan of play to follow and he doesnt know the other players well enough to guess what they are doing next.

Very good post.

:thup:

What other clubs have said they are not interested in cup competitions?

How open we've been about it is a mistake. Especially among our own fans obviously. But I doubt many outside observers would notice the difference.

And aye, our stating it so clearly is wrong. But I'm sure you could pick out a large number of priority-related quotes from other managers and chairmen. Sunderland have just sacrificed a cup game for their survival attempt for example, and Dave Whelan has just said the league is his priority as well.

It doesn't help when he's starting Shola Ameobi up top and leaving Remi on the bench against Man City either. But aye, we've seen far too many times how much of a spanner in the works us trying to incorporate new faces into the side can be.

Very good post.