Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Exactly.  We're talking about exits to Real Stevenage, Brightonalona and AC Cardiff here FFS.  And as previously stated it didn't seem to affect our ability to get to quarters, semis and finals in the 10 years previous.

FYP.

Well it’s all ‘finger in the wind’ in that case, isn’t it? Unless someone has got a formula which compares exactly how different teams are weakened by the omission of particular players, then it’s all going to be vague. And I haven't read anyone claiming that we field 'exactly' the same number of key players.

Your mate said so:

I'm asking you specifically how you think that result happened. If we rested players to about the same extent as other clubs (which we did) then what is it that we did differently to bring it about?

You realise that "claiming that we field 'exactly' the same number of key players" and saying "we rested players to about the same extent as other clubs" are not the same? How in the name of utter fuck can you put those two phrases right next to each other in your post and then claim to have made any kind of point?

You're avoiding the point by bickering about wording/semantics yet again. 

To me "If we rested players to about the same extent as other clubs (which we did)" means that you're saying we do it to the same degree as other clubs, give or take.  Forget about the word "exact".  You were saying any difference is negligible at best, therefore we should move on and consider other factors, or in other words "then what is it that we did differently to bring it about?"

I'm not arguing about considering other factors, I'm not denying they exist but to just flippantly palm off team selection on the basis that all clubs do it "to the same extent" is rubbish and doesn't seem to be reflected in results.

I’d say there was pressure, and it’s all pervading. It doesn’t suddenly kick in when the players are about to play a particular cup tie. It’s there in the media and amongst the supporters, and it finds its way to the manager and those running the club. There is then a knock-on effect to the players.

It’s a fairly common occurrence in the sporting field, isn’t it? The longer these barren spells go on, the more difficult it becomes to break the duck.

Ofcourse it doesn't exist :lol:

Wigan won the FA Cup last year, Sunderland got to a final this year, it's pretty likely that at least one of Hull or Sheffield Utd will be in a final this year etc...

I'd say it's a bit more than 'pretty likely' that one of them will be in the final. :laugh:

I’d say there was pressure, and it’s all pervading. It doesn’t suddenly kick in when the players are about to play a particular cup tie. It’s there in the media and amongst the supporters, and it finds its way to the manager and those running the club. There is then a knock-on effect to the players.

It’s a fairly common occurrence in the sporting field, isn’t it? The longer these barren spells go on, the more difficult it becomes to break the duck.

Yeah, having not won an FA cup in ever, Stevenage, Brighton and Cardiff were all able to rise above that all pervading pressure and knock us out.

Yeah, having not won an FA cup in ever, Stevenage, Brighton and Cardiff were all able to rise above that all pervading pressure and knock us out.

Well my original point was that we are under more pressure than other clubs because of a) our comparative size, which leads to expectations of success and b) our history of failure, which creates tension.

Interesting theory. Do you think it's the younger players like Kadar, Perch, Vuckic, Guthrie & Ranger who feel the weight of history more, or is it the experienced players like Ryan Taylor, Alan Smith & Lovenkrands who are burdened by the pressure of past quarter, semi and cup final failures they weren't involved in when cobbled together to play Arsenal in the last 16?

TBF it's a clever tactic by the club to try and alleviate some of this pressure by pretending we don't care about them. It's a very convincing double bluff.

FWIW I actually think we put out stronger teams this year than we normally would have due to the negative publicity about the club admitting to not prioritising cup competitions.

Cronky was trying to claim its an issue that predated Mike Ashley, it was wiped out when Interpolic pointed out again our record was far better before him. Hes just replying for the sake of it, what relevance does "Yeah but dont you think some pressure exists?" have if we've previously dealt with it far better even if that were the case.

All it points to is our current regime being the issue again, the starting position he was arguing against.

Ofcourse it doesn't exist :lol:

Wigan won the FA Cup last year, Sunderland got to a final this year, it's pretty likely that at least one of Hull or Sheffield Utd will be in a final this year etc...

I'd say it's a bit more than 'pretty likely' that one of them will be in the final. :laugh:

:lol: I hadn't seen the draw tbh

:lol:

the way things are at the moment, would happily take 17th every season if it meant a final/semifinal every other year

Think that's a no-brainer TBH, question is would you take relegation. Not that I think it's actually a choice to make, but that's the argument if you believe in prioritising the league.

the way things are at the moment, would happily take 17th every season if it meant a final/semifinal every other year

Think that's a no-brainer TBH, question is would you take relegation. Not that I think it's actually a choice to make, but that's the argument if you believe in prioritising the league.

What! To spend a season watching games knowing whatever happens you end up 17th, but get a chance for a day out at Wembley every other year in a staged semi/final where we'll most likely be embarrassed by a team actually used to winning a few games over the preceding months?

That's a no-brainer?

That sir... sounds like hell.

I want us to do well in all competitions. Why isn't that an option to those in charge? You can have a cup run and do well in the league if you prepare right and your mentality is correct. It's an easy excuse at the moment for teams in the Europa League to then have a poor season. You have less time to prepare for matches but this is why you organise your team and your time effectively. We clearly don't.

I want us to do well in all competitions. Why isn't that an option to those in charge? You can have a cup run and do well in the league if you prepare right and your mentality is correct. It's an easy excuse at the moment for teams in the Europa League to then have a poor season. You have less time to prepare for matches but this is why you organise your team and your time effectively. We clearly don't.

Mike Ashley says no.

Ashley's priority is to stay in this division first, achieve a top 10 finish to avoid criticism and closer scrutiny, and leave things to tick along under a yes man manager who can spin the club bullshit to good effect. Anything else like cups or ambition are just a pain in the arse as far as he is concerned.

Success breeds success and a winning run in a cup has every chance of bringing greater success in the league, confidence boosting, IF managed correctly. Don't seem to recall SBR suffering in the league when we were giving it a good go in Europe and both domestic cups?!

Aye. Basically put last season's league form but swap the Europa League run for an FA Cup Semi.

No thanks.

I was assuming he meant a semi final where you have a chance of winning it.

Even so, I'd never swap that for 17th. Aye a cup run is brilliant, but is it worth 8-9 months of absolute dross for the sake of winning 3-4 games in the cup?

Success breeds success and a winning run in a cup has every chance of bringing greater success in the league,

Which explains why we're not interested in the cups, heaven forbid we get into Europe

:thup: Fair point