Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest neesy111

If Ashley's time was a graph it'd be a tick. Decline followed by a steep incline beyond where we were.

think decline may be an understatement re the first 2 years

We were already in decline anycase.

Guest BooBoo

The line increased hugely when keegan arrived and started to click

Ah those six games. Seems like yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Small snippet in the Daily Mail, claiming Ashley is committed to the club for at least the next four years but would sell if someone stumped up the cash and they had similar levels of cash to invest that Man City have.

"The fans would understand because that type of funding would take the club to a new level. It's only around Premier League football that I feel like one of the poor relations. It's like £1bn plays £50bn."

That Charles Sale seems to have a decent connection with the Ashley camp. Probably how the Mail are seemingly more accurate with NUFC transfer rumours than you'd expect.

I've come around to the thinking that Ashley is willing to commit to the club again, typified by the Cisse signing and (allegedly) the De Jong business, but i don't think it would take an unbelievable offer for him to be on his way.

I've come around to the thinking that Ashley is willing to commit to the club again, typified by the Cisse signing and (allegedly) the De Jong business, but i don't think it would take an unbelievable offer for him to be on his way.

dreamland, go to sleep little lamb

ashley has now realised the potential he has in has hands with the free advertising and is exploiting it to the max...i'm not even saying it's a bad thing but you should get the idea out of your head that he's in it for anything but the money

ashley has now realised the potential he has in has hands with the free advertising and is exploiting it to the max...i'm not even saying it's a bad thing but you should get the idea out of your head that he's in it for anything but the money

:lol: Class.

Let's assume you're right and you've got Ashley down to a tee - he's only in it for the LOADSA money. He's only going to achieve that through speculating/accumulating - i.e, committing to the club via signings like Cisse. He's probably gagging for us to get into the Champions League, even if it's with an ulterior motive. So we're both right.

:lol: :lol: Your on fire today man!

:lol: :lol: Your on fire today man!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ashley In! NUFC Owner's Remarkable Turnaround

AshleyA non-story in yesterday's Kuwait Times suggested that Al-Arabi SC chairman Jamal Al-Kazemi was lining up a Newcastle takeover. Random rumors like this are always floating around, but what made the story interesting was fans' reaction to the slim chance of new ownership. Three years ago, Tyneside anxiously awaited any warm body with a healthy bankroll to take the club off Mike Ashley's hands. Now, most fans are begging the erstwhile "Fat Cockney Bastard" to remain in charge.

Given Ashley's newfound esteem among supporters, it's difficult to remember how unpopular some of his decisions were at the time. But since the club plummeted into the Championship, he has made the right move at every controversial turn.

Chris Hughton was an unheralded yes man when he took the managerial reins in 2009. A year later, he had become a martyr, replaced by another Ashley apologist, then-hated Alan Pardew. Thousands of fans vowed to turn their backs on the club before Pardew debuted on the bench. Geordie furor descended on Ashley after cashing in on local hero Andy Carroll in January 2011. The frenzy grew more intense after Newcastle missed out on Kevin Gameiro and Gervinho last summer. After watching Carroll stumble through an abysmal year at Liverpool, Gameiro and Gervinho fall out of favor at their new clubs, and Papiss Cissé electrify St. James' Park in the spring, would anyone want a mulligan on that exchange?

True, the pre-relegation track record was poor, and the name "Sports Direct Arena" rolls off the tongue like acid. Yet in the last three years, Ashley has developed the club in a way worthy of any fan's respect.

When he bought Newcastle, it was essentially a place where aging former stars grabbed their last big paychecks. The current transfer policy seems to have been ripped directly out of Soccernomics, seeking rising stars for affordable fees and wages, and avoiding the overpriced domestic market. It's a risky formula, but it's also the only way a club like Newcastle can threaten the league's superpowers.

As much as it would be a dream to see the club aim for a Premier League title, buoyed by a virtually unlimited supply of oil-soaked cash, Ashley's method is more satisfying for Newcastle fans. Instead of fantasy football, we get to watch a team develop before our eyes. With little margin for error, scouting, recruting, and coaching players - you know, what soccer clubs used to be all about - is vital for success. New acquisitions buy into the "team ethos," as Pardew likes to say, or they find themselves out of the lineup.

The Mike Ashley-owned Newcastle United will never be the talk of the transfer window. But thanks to the formula he's now put in place, there should be plenty of people talking when it matters: on matchday. With the preseason slate starting in Germany on Friday, those days are tantalizingly close once again.

http://www.newcastleunited.us/2012/07/ashley-in-nufc-owners-remarkable-turnaround-217.html

Guest sicko2ndbest

Music to Mikes ears

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2172790/Hatem-Ben-Arfa-faces-grilling-Newcastle-boss-Alan-Pardew.html

Pardew has challenged his fringe players to save him a fortune in the transfer market so the club are geared up for their Europa League campaign.

Newcastle expect to make three more summer signings, and Pardew is looking for the likes of Haris Vuckic, Shane Ferguson and Sammy Ameobi to cover the European campaign.

Pardew said: 'There is nothing fans cheer more than when a young player has come through the ranks.

'We have players with great potential. I could spend six or seven million on someone who isn't better than these if they realise that. We could make a big error thinking we can get someone better than them.

'The priority for this club is the Premier League and I've said that from day one, that's where our aspirations are. The cups are our second priority, all the cups and they will get chances in those.'

He is spot on tbh. I have said elsewhere I am completely confident in Ferguson if he is called upon.

Sammy is still a little rough around the edges but could do well in a strong first 11, Vuckic I am still undecided on given his injury spells but is a Cabaye still it could bring the best out of him.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

B

Not sure why Ashley would take a 10 % share of Rangers, even when they get back to the SPL, the league is still cabbaged with little money knocking about.

£££££££££

Money to be made selling merchandise within SD.

Odd but I suppose may be cheap price now for a stake in a brand that's going to be back in the SPL in 4 years and is well known at least. Though now he'll have to deal with celtic fans boycotting sports direct

B

Not sure why Ashley would take a 10 % share of Rangers, even when they get back to the SPL, the league is still cabbaged with little money knocking about.

£££££££££

Money to be made selling merchandise within SD.

Aye true.

Forgot about all the potential for a Sports Direct Arena in Scotland.

Odd but I suppose may be cheap price now for a stake in a brand that's going to be back in the SPL in 4 years and is well known at least. Though now he'll have to deal with celtic fans boycotting sports direct

He has a history of buying well-known companies at a cheap price when they've fallen on hard times. (eg Slazenger, Lonsdale)