Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

My worry is what will happen after this windows spend if we stay up, who will he sell in the summer to recoup the money.

Exactly this, and Stu the problem has always been that we go "one for one". That if we buy one we sell one and that has made our squad so small with no competition. Purple players - ha.

My worry is what will happen after this windows spend if we stay up, who will he sell in the summer to recoup the money.

Exactly this, and Stu the problem has always been that we go "one for one". That if we buy one we sell one and that has made our squad so small with no competition. Purple players - ha.

even then (as now i guess) he'll sell if he gets the right price. his buying since we came back up has never been so much on price as value (even more so if the current transfer rumours are true)

even then (as now i guess) he'll sell if he gets the right price. his buying since we came back up has never been so much on price as value (even more so if the current transfer rumours are true)

From what I can see, it looks like you're right about 'one in, one out' when it comes to these 'purple' first XI players - it's just a shame that Danny Simpson and Steven Taylor were considered 'purple' (or at least sufficiently capable/reliable while we waited between Sept and Jan for the window to reopen). Doesn't look like there's a limit insomuch as buying youth/younger prospects i.e. Amalafitano, Bigirimana, Abeid, etc. If they're available on a free/reasonably cheap and we can snap them up, looks like we're going for it.

The issue this season has been the noticeable drop-off between the first XI (on paper) and the younger/less experienced players being called up to support them. Having been burnt by the likes of Alan Smith on a $60kpw 5year deal, it seems as though we're not paying for 'first team ready' players unless they're going straight into the team.

Ideally, they'll soon understand that we need at least 15 first team top-8 Premiership players in the squad, with a combination of cheaper back-ups (Shola, Williamson, etc.) blended with some promising younger players (Bigi, Amalafitano, Abeid) to be drip-fed first XI experience over the course of the season, not just when we face an injury crisis. They're only going to learn by experience, seeing as they're deaf to the fans and critics alike - no doubt something that has been previously successful in other areas of their life.

The under-21 squad should be completely separate, with the likes of Good, Campbell and Streete out on loan, rather than in our matchday 18 (unless it's the cups/end of season).

Righto.

Apart from Carroll (which was stupid money) who have we actually sold when we had control of the situation?? The he'll sell at any price for a quick profit just doesn't hold water.

It doesn't make any sense at all, but these things rarely do.

It's weird, there are hundreds of actual things to criticise Ashley for, without making up things he hasn't done.

From what I can see, it looks like you're right about 'one in, one out' when it comes to these 'purple' first XI players - it's just a shame that Danny Simpson and Steven Taylor were considered 'purple' (or at least sufficiently capable/reliable while we waited between Sept and Jan for the window to reopen). Doesn't look like there's a limit insomuch as buying youth/younger prospects i.e. Amalafitano, Bigirimana, Abeid, etc. If they're available on a free/reasonably cheap and we can snap them up, looks like we're going for it.

The issue this season has been the noticeable drop-off between the first XI (on paper) and the younger/less experienced players being called up to support them. Having been burnt by the likes of Alan Smith on a $60kpw 5year deal, it seems as though we're not paying for 'first team ready' players unless they're going straight into the team.

Ideally, they'll soon understand that we need at least 15 first team top-8 Premiership players in the squad, with a combination of cheaper back-ups (Shola, Williamson, etc.) blended with some promising younger players (Bigi, Amalafitano, Abeid) to be drip-fed first XI experience over the course of the season, not just when we face an injury crisis. They're only going to learn by experience, seeing as they're deaf to the fans and critics alike - no doubt something that has been previously successful in other areas of their life.

The under-21 squad should be completely separate, with the likes of Good, Campbell and Streete out on loan, rather than in our matchday 18 (unless it's the cups/end of season).

It´s great in theory and I have for a long time warmly talked about this. But from this summer I have just given up, I don´t trust him to ever really care or get this together. Now with Pardew it´s really no idea either because he will never fulfill our potential.

I think we are so close to be run in the "perfect" way. We just need an owner with a little bit more interest in our success and a competent manager/coach. Right now we aren´t there and I think that Ashley never will take us to the heights we could even if we got to fifth place last year. Honestly don´t ask me why, but I guess everyone can fly for a summer.

Righto.

Apart from Carroll (which was stupid money) who have we actually sold when we had control of the situation?? The he'll sell at any price for a quick profit just doesn't hold water.

It's weird, there are hundreds of actual things to criticise Ashley for, without making up things he hasn't done.

Luckily I didn't say anything about a quick profit.

The concept that we'll not look to sell players to cover the costs of new ones because of the new TV deal is ridiculous. There won't be any change in how we operate.

Righto.

The concept that we'll not look to sell players to cover the costs of new ones because of the new TV deal is ridiculous. There won't be any change in how we operate.

We will trade players like every other club does. Ashley won't voluntarily put his hand in his pocket (increase his debt/cover losses) we have to operate within the money the club generates from whatever source.

The sooner folks accept that, the better, it's not some never-ending Machiavellian scheme to hurt the fans.

This "oh what's happened today is good but we can't be happy because tomorrow is going to be a disaster (just you wait and see)" syndrome is ridiculous. The deep dark alterior motive just does not exist.

Righto.

We will trade players like every other club does. Ashley won't voluntarily put his hand in his pocket (increase his debt/cover losses) we have to operate within the money the club generates from whatever source.

The sooner folks accept that, the better, it's not some never-ending Machiavellian scheme to hurt the fans.

This "oh what's happened today is good but we can't be happy because tomorrow is going to be a disaster (just you wait and see)" syndrome is ridiculous. The deep dark alterior motive just does not exist.

Realistically, I think the club is going to be run on the current financial structure, with the increase in TV revenue going towards the cash injection that Ashley pumped into the club to keep it solvent. Once he has his 'interest free' loans back, then they might look to expand the expenditure on wages/transfer fees (so long as it all remains in the fixed budget and not dependent on performance related income).

MA:"Derek, we need some silly bids thrown in to appease the fans. You know, stuff that will definitely get rejected. Stick €1m in for Gouffran, £6m in for Mbiwa etc. Oh, and prepare the 'Oh well, we tried' statement for February 1st"

*two days later*

DL: "Err Mike, we've got a problem..."

This is way too good to be true, surely?

I must admit, I never thought we'd pull off multiple signings. Still have my doubts till they all cross the line, but i feel something a little weird inside me, feels like positivity, surely it cannot be? Hello stranger.  :lol: