Newcastle Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur - 16/10/11 @ 4pm - live on SKY

Anderson

Best was our best player today, for me.

Did you not see Krul and Saylor at the other end like not to mention Tiote who were all better than Best.

No they weren't. Saylor had his worst game of the season by a distance.

whatever.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'd rather go with the lesser of two evils and keep Raylor in the side at the expense of Simpson for this one. Santon to make his debut at LB.

Frankly, Simpson has been abysmal defensively and going forward for the last 20-odd PL games. Too comfortable in the side, clearly.

Bloody, hell Ronaldo, for once, I agree with you! :lol:

A lot can happen between now and the Spurs game by way of injuries and what have you, but I'd field 4-2-3-1:

Krul

Raylor  Colo  Saylor  Santon

Cabaye  Tiote

Jonas  Best  Ben Arfa

Ba

My jusitifications

I don't think we can get a win here without the quality Ben Arfa and Santon will bring to the side, basically.

Furthermore, Spurs are a really good passing side and we'll have to work hard to get the ball back off them so I don't think we can afford to have Obertan - who seems very suspect defensively so far IMO. Transferring Gutierrez over will hopefully help Raylor out in this respect.

Santon has Champions' League experience and I have no concerns throwing him into the "deep end". If he can do a job against Cronaldo, handling Aaron 'one foot' Lennon is not beyond his capabilities. It's not easy by any means, but I see no sense in all the hand-holding and coddling him - provided he is fit to play.

In terms of attack, Best and Ba are both performing so well I can't see why we'd take them out of the side. Having multiple goal threats is vital in this league, especially against top opposition. I see the merit in having Marveaux in ahead of one of Best or Ba, but I just think that makes the remaining lone striker that much easier to pick up - because Ben Arfa will not be operating near the 6 yard box, but more as a playmaker.

We're at home, and I think we'll do better if we're attacking and have them on the backfoot rather than inviting pressure on ourselves by being a little less ambitious. It's a good Tottenham side, but we're (more or less) full strength and whilst we should respect them I don't think we should fear them.

It will require a high-octane, highly energetic performance to ensure we don't get exposed defensively but if we work hard to track back once we lose possession I think we can do it - provided they're not all knackered from the international break!

Important selection decisions for Pardew to make here. As others have said, this game should give us a pretty good indication of our prospects for the season.

Personally, I would include at least two of Santon/Marveaux/HBA, but can understand the arguments against changing a winning team. Has Marveaux played much on the right during his career so far? Would definitely prefer him to Obertan, but Pardew seems not to rate him so highly..

Would also drop Simpson instead of Raylor. Very poor so far this season, and stands out as an obvious weak link even more than Raylor IMO (although that might be more because of the defensive abilities of Jonas).

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I did say I think Pardew will go unchanged but I think the lure of Ben Arfa will be too much to refuse. Not quite sure where he'll start mind. Drop Best? :undecided:

Guest magpie99

I remember last season, on holiday, sitting in a Singapore bar surrounded by Spurs supporters thnking to myself, how the hell are we winning this, until 3 minutes into injury time.

To beat Spurs, we need creativity, vision, pace, and trickery. These are things that Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Santon have in abundance and we need to take the game to Spurs. Obertan has no end product, Raylor would be raped by Lennon and Best would be a better bet off the bench if things werent going well. Also, a lot depends on Ba.s fitness. Wasnt he injurred yesterday?

If we take the game to Spurs, mark their front 2 tightly and get Tiote to do a number on Modric, we will win the game easily. Just you watch.

If Pardew keeps the same team, we will get nothing more than a draw.

Santon and HBA MUST play. It´s a shame to drop players that are playing good to there standards, but professional football is not a kindergarten there everyone should play.

HBA and Santon (in the future anyway) is different class to Raylor and we MUST MUST MUST MUST make the chance.

I really don´t want to replace some one like Best. But HBA is a different act and must be on the field. When the match starts he will have had about a moth of good training and should be fit.

And Idea should be to drop Obertan and in that give Best and Ba more game time.

A lot can happen between now and the Spurs game by way of injuries and what have you, but I'd field 4-2-3-1:

Krul

Cabaye  Tiote

Jonas  Best  Ben Arfa

Ba

My jusitifications

I don't think we can get a win here without the quality Ben Arfa and Santon will bring to the side, basically.

Furthermore, Spurs are a really good passing side and we'll have to work hard to get the ball back off them so I don't think we can afford to have Obertan - who seems very suspect defensively so far IMO. Transferring Gutierrez over will hopefully help Raylor out in this respect.

Santon has Champions' League experience and I have no concerns throwing him into the "deep end". If he can do a job against Cronaldo, handling Aaron 'one foot' Lennon is not beyond his capabilities. It's not easy by any means, but I see no sense in all the hand-holding and coddling him - provided he is fit to play.

In terms of attack, Best and Ba are both performing so well I can't see why we'd take them out of the side. Having multiple goal threats is vital in this league, especially against top opposition. I see the merit in having Marveaux in ahead of one of Best or Ba, but I just think that makes the remaining lone striker that much easier to pick up - because Ben Arfa will not be operating near the 6 yard box, but more as a playmaker.

We're at home, and I think we'll do better if we're attacking and have them on the backfoot rather than inviting pressure on ourselves by being a little less ambitious. It's a good Tottenham side, but we're (more or less) full strength and whilst we should respect them I don't think we should fear them.

It will require a high-octane, highly energetic performance to ensure we don't get exposed defensively but if we work hard to track back once we lose possession I think we can do it - provided they're not all knackered from the international break!

that line-up :huff:

Krul

Cabaye  Tiote

Jonas  Best  Ben Arfa

Ba

My jusitifications

that line-up :huff:

actuallly it is only Ben arfa i want central behind the striker. Maybe best out of the line up!

Jonas/                                Jonas/

obertan/          ben arfa      Marveaux   

marveaux     

Ba

I'll go for:

---------------Krul------------------

Simpson---Taylor---Colo----Santon

Obertan---Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

-------------Ba ----Best----------

Subs: Harps, Benarfa, Marveaux, Raylor, Abeid, SAmmeobi, Guthrie

Hopefully we can give some of the subs a run out and put five past the yid-mackems!

OK, I'll admit to being the first one sad enough to lurk a Spurs forum...

newcastle are winning their games as well and 3rd place with 15 points.

So next 2 games will be very huge for us because its against direct opponnents for the 4th spot

. First the scum at home and then away to newcastle which has always been hard place for us.

:megusta: Always liked spurs.