Acquisitions - moving in the right direction.

Stu

I reckon we've struck gold a bit with Pardew, like. Never expected him to take this club to heart as he has done. I think he deserves much more of the credit for the players settling in and the group being a welcoming 'group of lads' for others to come in to. His resolve seems to be solid and he has been quite obviously against a lot of the shit he has had to put up with from the board yet manage his team of staff and players well enough to do their jobs to the best of their ability despite the nonsensical hoohar from those above. Even his tactical nouse has surprised me, and he's honest enough to say he got it wrong. I think the confidence the players get from his confidence as a manager of those players is priceless.

I reckon we've struck gold a bit with Pardew, like. Never expected him to take this club to heart as he has done. I think he deserves much more of the credit for the players settling in and the group being a welcoming 'group of lads' for others to come in to. His resolve seems to be solid and he has been quite obviously against a lot of the shit he has had to put up with from the board yet manage his team of staff and players well enough to do their jobs to the best of their ability despite the nonsensical hoohar from those above. Even his tactical nouse has surprised me, and he's honest enough to say he got it wrong. I think the confidence the players get from his confidence as a manager of those players is priceless.

Spot on. Deserves a hell of a lot of credit. The club definitely has a feel of Keegan 1 about it.

Let the good times roll. They may not last long so ever fucker just enjoy it!!!

Players with 5+ games.

05-06

5*Red - Boumsong (30), Babayaro (26), Faye (14), Moore(8), Luque (6)

4*Amber - Parker (26), Emre (19), Owen (10), Clarke (8)

1*Green - Solano (27)

= 58pts, 7th

Defence & defensive mids = 4*Red, 2*Amber, goals conceded = 42

08-09

3*Red - Duff (28), Geremi (11), Viduka (6)

7*Amber - Guthrie (21), Owen (21), Martins (21), Nolan (10), Lovenkrands (8), Taylor (8), Barton (6)

5*Green - Coloccini (37), Bassong (26), Enrique (24), Gutiérrez (23), Beye (22)

= 34pts, 18th

Defence & defensive mids = 4*Green, 1*Amber, goals conceded = 59

Stu's logic & "impartial" ratings = fail

if you are looking at signings for the one season only then Colo and Nolan would be in red and Enrique and Jonas in amber.

I think the OP is heavily biased towards players that have stayed and biased against playeds who have left.

Some examples:

Demba Ba (Green) - Oba Martins (Yellow) -> If this was Martins first season he'd be green. he got found out eventually, but you can't say the same will happen to Ba.

Edmundsson (Yellow) - Tozer (Red) ->  I would say these two are both unproven. Not many of our development squad are going to make it, so over time, more of these will become red reducing the percentage if you use these players.

Diatta (Red) - Kuqi (Yellow) -> Both players signed under similar circumstances and ended up not contributing. I can't see why Diatta is red and Kuqi isn't when they effective cost and contributed a similar amount.

I think the OP is heavily biased towards players that have stayed and biased against playeds who have left.

Some examples:

Edmundsson (Yellow) - Tozer (Red) ->  I would say these two are both unproven. Not many of our development squad are going to make it, so over time, more of these will become red reducing the percentage if you use these players.

Not biased, but the players who are still at the club can't be fully judged as they still have a the possibility to increase their standing (or reduce it!). You can only fully judge a transfer once the player has moved on (or at least, with the rate of player turnover we have, you can!) - in the example above, Edmundsson has come to the club, broken into our reserve team and his national side. He might have peaked, he might become a first team player. We don't know.

Tozer left the club after failing to break through. We can categorically state that.

Some examples:

Not biased, but the players who are still at the club can't be fully judged as they still have a the possibility to increase their standing (or reduce it!). You can only fully judge a transfer once the player has moved on (or at least, with the rate of player turnover we have, you can!) - in the example above, Edmundsson has come to the club, broken into our reserve team and his national side. He might have peaked, he might become a first team player. We don't know.

Tozer left the club after failing to break through. We can categorically state that.

Still biaised as even if you have these objective rules (although am not sure where Kuqi fits), the rules are still heavily biaised towards those who have been at the club more recently.

Some examples:

Still biaised as even if you have these objective rules (although am not sure where Kuqi fits), the rules are still heavily biaised towards those who have been at the club more recently.

Precisely.

Wind back to October 2005 and Luque's a great signing who looked dangerous as soon as he was put in the team, unfortunately he got injured, but he'll be the star of the team when he comes back. A Ben Arfa shade of Green there.

How about 2007?

Thought all four of the new signings were very impressive today.

Agreed. Makes a luvverly change for our new signings to be so determined and assured, rather than obsessed with their bank balance, whining how they'd prefer to play for Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal (but still get the obscene money we give them) and waving sick notes.

Viduka and Smith I am paticularly delighted with.

Not singling people out, this was not an uncommon view at the time.

It all makes comments like

it certainly would appear that way, we did sign 'quality' players before but they never adapted to the Prem/NUFC, the last 18months have had definitely seen an improvement in our transfer success rate.

massively premature and biased when half of your greens from the last 18 months have only played half a dozen games at most, and the other greens - Simpson, Williamson, Best, and Tiote seem to have faired far better in your subjective analysis than the likes of Faye, Rozenhall, Sibierski and Parker who are not dissimilar to those four price & ability-wise, and had they been in our team now, I rather think you'd have rated higher.

It's also a lot easier to be a "successful" free/£1-2m signing than a successful (ie value for money) £5m+ signing. That doesn't mean the former is a better player than the latter though.

It's a better acquisition for the club though.

1. Depends on what the aims of the club are, and then

2. Only if those acquisitions are good enough to stay in the PL, and then

3. Only in the short term if money saved/made is used to pay off a debt to the owner and not reinvested in the team.

So from a supporter's point of view rather than that of a businessman who makes money by capitalising on the customer base and good name of once-established quality brands while reducing the quality of the product, probably not.

3. Only in the short term if money saved/made is used to pay off a debt to the owner and not reinvested in the team.

So from a supporter's point of view rather than that of a businessman who makes money by capitalising on the customer base and good name of once-established quality brands while reducing the quality of the product, probably not.

Wow. I think the malevolent spirit in your post just melted my screen. :lol:

Eh? Buying higher skilled players who under perform is never going to appeal to the vast majority of fans (i.e. customers), who would rather see lesser ability players give their all for the shirt.

Do the fans really think Michael Owen - transfer record, England's number one striker at the time and on £100k a week - was a good signing in hindsight? Or did they think Rob Lee - relative unknown midfielder for a bargain fee and minimal wages- was a better acquisition for the club?

Wow. I think the malevolent spirit in your post just melted my screen. :lol:

No one does malevolence quite like UV.....

massively premature and biased when half of your greens from the last 18 months have only played half a dozen games at most, and the other greens - Simpson, Williamson, Best, and Tiote seem to have faired far better in your subjective analysis than the likes of Faye, Rozenhall, Sibierski and Parker who are not dissimilar to those four price & ability-wise, and had they been in our team now, I rather think you'd have rated higher.

Faye/Rozenhall vs Williamson/Simpson fair enough, but Tiote and Best should be fairing better in that list than Sibierski and Parker (as much as I liked Sibierski Best has scored more and has more potential due to his).

Wind back to October 2005 and Luque's a great signing who looked dangerous as soon as he was put in the team, unfortunately he got injured, but he'll be the star of the team when he comes back. A Ben Arfa shade of Green there.

How about 2007?

There are some superficial similarities there, that's where it ends though.

I don't want to stir up old shit but I have wonder how the Graham Carr scouting regime would have worked instead of Dennis Wise and his cronies.  Keegan may still be managing.

I agree this topic need more discussion