Liverpool threaten to breakaway from Premier League TV rights deal

Tiresias

Here is an idea. Clubs sell the TV rights, for home games getting a great deal and removing the control and money from the Premier League. The away team then receives 50% of the TV money.

Theoretically more money for everyone that way, plus is fair and proper.

Nope, that's more in line with what Liverpool want. That would give the top clubs 38 games of big money, while someone like Wigan would only get big money when they played one of the top clubs. Their matches against Wolves, Swansea, etc. would garner a far lower rights fee.

The league is worth more as a whole. While the Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool may be the big draws, the league doesn't function without the other 15 clubs. Everyone understands this except those scummy bastards. I wish Hicks & Gillette had hung on for another year and really run that club into the ground.

Here is an idea. Clubs sell the TV rights, for home games getting a great deal and removing the control and money from the Premier League. The away team then receives 50% of the TV money.

Theoretically more money for everyone that way, plus is fair and proper.

Nope, that's more in line with what Liverpool want. That would give the top clubs 38 games of big money, while someone like Wigan would only get big money when they played one of the top clubs. Their matches against Wolves, Swansea, etc. would garner a far lower rights fee.

The league is worth more as a whole. While the Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool may be the big draws, the league doesn't function without the other 15 clubs. Everyone understands this except those scummy bastards. I wish Hicks & Gillette had hung on for another year and really run that club into the ground.

My bad on this one. Of course clubs will only get a game involving Man Utd twice, while Man Utd will get games involving Man Utd 38 times.

Liverpool in being massive cunts shocker, hope they get slated for this by everyone connected to football, even better I hope they get banished to this promise land by the league as a big fuk you to any other uppity cunt out there thinking they are bigger than they are.

Brilliant that Manu have come out straight away against them, well done, classier club through and through, must sting as much as being a mackem.

I just can't get over the fact he cited Spain in this when the league is utterly broken outside of Barca and Real Madrid, listening to Marcotti on radio earlier and he was saying in Italy they switched from the Spanish model to one more similar to how the premier league works because they looked at the big picture.

Its an astonishingly narrow minded, self centred, short term view to take. Sure they might get big bucks right away and make quite a bit more in tv cash but Man U will make rather a bit more than Liverpool would make and no one would have a hope of competing with them.

Brilliant that Manu have come out straight away against them, well done, classier club through and through, must sting as much as being a mackem.

If there's one club that have created the modern joke that is top level football, it's Man United.

If there's one club that have created the modern joke that is top level football, it's Man United.

Can you elaborate?

Did you miss the first 10 years of the Premier League? The whole global brand and I'm alright jack thing is nothing new. They attempted this very idea in 2003 but were shot down 19-1.

I associate Man Utd with building up success gradually. I don't think they've made a mockery of top-level football at all.

This, on the other hand, comes across as a desperate attempt for a quick fix because they know they're falling behind and are trying to cling onto their past glories, i.e. their status (or at least their self-perceived status). So in other words, Liverpool are being Liverpool.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Haha this has done a U-Turn now. The more fans of other clubs complain about the guy, the more Liverpool fans start to defend him and believe its a great idea. :lol:

This thread has been hilarious in it's (admittedly trademark) overreaction since the Guardian broke those quotes from our MD. I find it delicious that teams with tons of cash that already make the league massively uncompetitive (Apart from Blackburn only 3 teams have ever won the 'Premier League' and Citeh have spent £500million on players and wages since they got the Abu Dhabi guys in) are crying about even the very suggestion that the overseas revenue should be based on merit rather than charity.

Tell ya what, while were at it. Kermit, you call up Mansour and get him to give half of that new youth development City Campus thing away to Bolton, Wigan, Stoke etc.

And Salazar, you call the Glazers and get them to dismantle the top tiers of Old Trafford and send them down the road to Wigan, Swansea.

And then all the top 6 teams should give away their merchandise cash and gate reciepts to Plymouth, because they really are a charity case right now, since you're all so generous.

Maybe we should loan Gerrard and Suarez and the Mancs can loan Berbatov and Cleverly to Everton. Because they've got no money either. And we're on a sharing thing here.

Oh wait, you won't. Because you're teams are already rich. City and Chelsea because of Oil. United because Old Trafford 'was' a shithole with not much around it and thus easy to expand, as well as good backroom management. Arsenal the same because they sold a ton of London property and don't spend any money.

As soon as our backroom guys suggest something to make us money though it's "WHOA NONONOOOO! You can't do that! Blah blah blah! Not fair blah blah!" Yeah, it's totally fair to Wigan that United's training kit sponsor is worth £15million a year, or that Rooney's on 200k+ a week. Or that Mansour makes more in an hour than Bolton do from a home game. Kermit, I remember you on here defending Citeh's 'fine financial team' to the hilt for the crooked £400million sponsorship deal. I wonder if the Blackburn owners can come up with cash like that from their cousins. I doubt Bolton's Phil Gartside has any mates with that much sparelying around in their 'loss making' airline.

Football isn't fair. And it's getting less fair every day. So I applaud my clubs MD for just doing his job and trying to make Liverpool more competitive. I don't agree with the wholesale 'individual' selling of rights club by club. But I do think it needs to be the same as the domestic deal. Based on merit and number of games screened.

Liverpool - Haters gonna hate.

Oh and Martin Samuel is bollocks. Talks out of his arse so much I reckon his editor must have a doctorate in loo reading. Chelsea, on the same level as Liverpool over here? LOL no.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

This isn't the first time John Henry has directly or indirectly questioned Revenue Sharing:

Major League Baseball's current revenue-sharing system, even while bettering the game, is too burdensome on the wealthiest clubs which are substantially subsidizing some of their opponents, according to Boston Red Sox principal owner John Henry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2333455

Yet still classier than Liverpool, non?

I get your point, but they grew at the right time, got lucky with their youth, had we won that title god knows where we'd be as a club, could have been competing at the top for years and we'd had been one of those clubs.

There's no real window of opportunity now, which is a shame unless you've got billions and are not afraid to be banished from Europe for a few years, but that slim chance goes right out of the window with this proposal, it really is the only way Liverpool could catch up, typical scouse wanting something for nothing, all the rewards but no work, feeling the world owes them a favour. The mentality of that tribe down there is disgusting.

He [David Whelan] added, “What we have is the finest league in the whole world and what Liverpool are calling for would absolutely wreck it. The likes of Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, Sunderland and Newcastle couldn’t compete."

There's quite a few other names he could/should name before us...

On a side note, had a bloke come in at work yesterday, Scouse. Nice enough guy, like. Started talking, mentioned my dad being a Geordie, and he was like 'like brothers', crossing his fingers regarding Scousers and Geordies. All that went through my mind was general opinion on this forum and had to hold in a burst of laughter. :lol:

He [David Whelan] added, “What we have is the finest league in the whole world and what Liverpool are calling for would absolutely wreck it. The likes of Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, Sunderland and Newcastle couldn’t compete."

Y U NO LIKE MIKE ASHLEY WHELAN??!?!?!?!?!

Probably just thinking of the best names that'll get his quote used tbf to him.

We'd actually benefit quite well from such a system compared to the majority of the PL. Still wouldn't want it.

We'd actually benefit quite well from such a system compared to the majority of the PL. Still wouldn't want it.

only think we'd fit in the not loose much but gain fuck all compared to Man U etc category

The league needs to give all teams more of a chance, not less, or it becomes totally pointless and boring, any fool can see that.

I think Liverpools owners would like a form of 'Harlem Globetrotters' scenario where the opposition were of no consequence, just there to be used as fall guys to be humiliated.

If only we could banish them to the Scottish league so they could satisfy their desire to steamroller weaker teams every year and we could swap them for Celtic or Rangers either of whom would be content to have the chance to share a fair, equal portion of the Premier league money.

only think we'd fit in the not loose much but gain fuck all compared to Man U etc category

Which I suppose is benefiting compared to the majority of the PL. :lol:

Which I suppose is benefiting compared to the majority of the PL. :lol:

true but there would be a few clubs to fall into the same category as us Villa, Everton, City (unless they do some daft thing in the middle east) and Spurs would all be around the same level imho.

Maybe Liverpool could suggest some kind of league where the top clubs in Europe play each other in games which get enormous TV coverage and thereby give them a load of money that's not available to the lower clubs in the league, on top of all their extra merchandise, gate receipts etc?

Maybe Liverpool could suggest some kind of league where the top clubs in Europe play each other in games which get enormous TV coverage and thereby give them a load of money that's no available to the lower clubs in the league, on top of all their extra merchandise, gate receipts etc?

Perhaps some kind of elite league of champions?  But to make it larger and more interesting non-champions also get invited, with the number of places from each league determined by coefficients.  It's just crazy enough to work.

On a side note, had a bloke come in at work yesterday, Scouse. Nice enough guy, like. Started talking, mentioned my dad being a Geordie, and he was like 'like brothers', crossing his fingers regarding Scousers and Geordies. All that went through my mind was general opinion on this forum and had to hold in a burst of laughter. :lol:

:lol:

:lol:

There was a game I went to at Anfield in the 90s (just before the Kop was changed to seats) which had that kind of atmosphere.  Their fans were singing Blaydon Races, we were singing You'll Never Walk Alone and when we left the ground there were some scousers waiting outside and shaking our hands as we went past.  Never really seen that before or since, it was a bit odd.

EDIT: Just had a thought, it was about when that Liverpool dockers stuff was kicking off, so I guess it could have been some solidarity between the two regions over that.

Aye. I'm sure there have been some past moments of solidarity between the regions for one reason or another. But it was kind of sweet, just how into it he was getting, as I'm just stood there thinking of wall pushing and bin dipping references from N-O. :lol: