Footy book recommendations

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

• 2 months later...

I thought Touching Distance was a really good read - managed to spot myself at one of the training sessions at Maiden Castle.

I didn't personally think that Living on the Volcano was that good - starts off strong, but seemed to get a bit lost in terms of what it was actually trying to say.  I'd say Calvin's book on scouts is a better read personally.

I've just started Inverting the Pyramid, but I suspect that that might be a bit of a slog.  Still, I've got the new issue of the Blizzard to keep me going for light reading..

I thought Touching Distance was a really good read - managed to spot myself at one of the training sessions at Maiden Castle.

I didn't personally think that Living on the Volcano was that good - starts off strong, but seemed to get a bit lost in terms of what it was actually trying to say.  I'd say Calvin's book on scouts is a better read personally.

I've just started Inverting the Pyramid, but I suspect that that might be a bit of a slog.  Still, I've got the new issue of the Blizzard to keep me going for light reading..

Fantastic! I loved it when the lads were training there. Had the dubious pleasure of bumping into Andy Cole coming out of the showers, and the even more embarrassing experience of Keegan and Terry Mc watching us play five a side (briefly, and with audible commentary... "Oooh, ha ha, 'kin 'ell" I can still hear it now...).

Balague's Pep book was just 300 odd pages of praising him. It read like a slightly long-winded pre-mortem eulogy. Pep's obviously a great manager, nice bloke and was a top player, but the book portrayed him as a transcendent uber-benevolent saint. It got tiresome.

:lol:

• 2 months later...

'Touching Distance' was decent and I've just bought 'Das Reboot', looking into how German football reinvented itself.

Any other recommendations? I'm tempted by that 'Living on the Volcano' look into being a football manager.

Das Reboot good? Need a fairly long book to take on hols with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

About half way through The Nowhere Men. Not great writing but still really interesting so far. All about the shitshow that is scouting in the UK. The old timers making a pittance and the emergence of moneyball and data-driven recruitment.

finally got around to finishing this one a couple of weeks back. Worth a read if you're interested in the changing landscape of player development and recruitment. It could have gone a little more in-depth on how some scouts, sensing the future, are scouting for agents rather than clubs now. 3/5.

Also read one called Il Re Calcio (football is king). It's really short, and focuses on a few hand-picked stories from Italian football (mostly 80s and 90s). I think it's Kindle-only. Interesting nonetheless. Tales of a few colourful characters more than the football specifically. Also a 3/5, for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought Touching Distance, adding to my collection of Newcastle related books. Looking forward to digging into this one, have read a few Keegan books now and really have learned so much more about the man himself.

Few good 'uns coming out in the next couple of months like.

Angels With Dirty Faces tomorrow. :thup:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angels-Dirty-Faces-Footballing-Argentina/dp/1409144437/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51nmuJkqjPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR108%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=W1VNJPXGN7T4DANATJNS

New books on both Cruyff and Di Stefano.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Di-St%C3%A9fano-Ian-Hawkey/dp/0091958555/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470860632&sr=1-1&keywords=Di+Stefano

As well as the excellent Uli Hesse releasing one on Bayern.

Currently working my way through a history of the Olympics so Angels is going to have to wait until that's done.